U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 AM

37,477 posts, read 25,217,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you ever read Pilgrim's Progress, you would be the character "Worldly Wisdom".
Not the way I read it. I am no legalist or law follower . . . just Jesus' commands to "love God and each other."

Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,745,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not the way I read it. I am no legalist or law follower . . . just Jesus' commands to "love God and each other."
Amen brother Mystic!!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM

211 posts, read 479,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hmmm. Jesus is the Truth. Jesus is the Living Word of God. Jesus is the Savior of the world. Now . . . where did this Bible Salvation come from????We must have another Biblean instead of a Christian in our midst.
Salvation is explained in the Bible. Can you know God without the Bible? No. Can you be saved unless you know what the Bible says about it? No. The only way God speaks to us today is through the Bible. We don't have prophets like in the O.T., so how are we to know about Salvation without the Bible? You cannot separate God and His Word, they are one.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
Salvation is explained in the Bible. Can you know God without the Bible? No. Can you be saved unless you know what the Bible says about it? No. The only way God speaks to us today is through the Bible. We don't have prophets like in the O.T., so how are we to know about Salvation without the Bible? You cannot separate God and His Word, they are one.
I guess you just don't believe Jesus is alive and abides with us as His Holy Spirit within . . . or that God has "written in our hearts" so that we would not need teachers. When you have the Living Word of God with us there is no need for the words "written in ink." They are just USEFUL (profitable) for instruction and to give us hope in Jesus.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

But you literalist OT believers simply refuse to believe on/into Jesus and let your hearts "lift the veil of ignorance when reading the OT."

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

But their minds were blinded (blind mind = ignorant) for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it (The Heart) shall turn to the Lord (Jesus), the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit (Holy Spirit) and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-20-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,808,279 times
June
What I wonder is...

What kind of answer where you expecting?

I mean what would a conservative \ fundamentalist possibly answer if in fact the only agreeable possiblity is that from a humanist pov?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
June
What I wonder is...

What kind of answer where you expecting?

I mean what would a conservative \ fundamentalist possibly answer if in fact the only agreeable possiblity is that from a humanist pov?
Twin-

The reason June started this thread was for the exact reason that you stated: "What would a conservative/fundamentalist possibly answer...?"

You see, June has been to church services before, and although a nonbeliever, she feels she has been respectful of them, and usually came away having learned or felt something different or something that impressed her. --But those were the very few services that attended in the North. Having never been to the bible belt before, (let alone one of their church services) June truly and honestly can say she went into the experience with the same degree of open mindedness as she has with any other church service.

What she wasn't prepared for was the variation of the type of service. --And the way that the "message" was delivered in the southern nondenominational church. June can only conclude that her cultural mindset has grealty influenced her in ways that she would not have previosly expected. She is NOT saying that the bible belt service was a "bad" experience. What she IS saying is that Christianity can and is presented in dramatically different ways, depending upon where one resides....

Take gentle Christian care...

Old 01-22-2011, 09:01 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,958,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That's right -- but you left out pre-school and kindergarten. I also believe some people are stunted from the time of birth for various reasons. (seed falling among thorns or on dry ground or the wayside)...
LOL ... how stupid of me to leave out the majority of the churches' maturity level; preK and K and younger in most cases because they are STILL on the MILK

Old 01-22-2011, 01:11 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
There is no REAL love, peace and understanding apart from Him. It's impossible.
Yes, all love comes from the source... God. However, are you one of the many who thinks that love cannot come from anyone other than a christian? Are you one that thinks if someone is an atheist then their love isn't of the "REAL" variety?? There are those who think this way, are you one of them? I am asking for clarification purposes.

By the way, not that she really needs defending here, but what I know of Dewdrop from her interactions here on this forum, to me she is a beautiful human being who consistently shows love, gentleness, kindness and understanding to those on this forum. Even though she is agnostic/atheist (sorry Dew, I can't remember which), the love that comes from her is REAL, in every sense of the word. And she is someone whom I see God in, all the time. Just like plenty of other "non-christians".

Not aimed at anyone here, just a GENERAL thought: I wonder what God is more pleased with (pleased as in joyful). A person who proclaims their belief in Jesus yet is rude, condescending, unloving towards others. Or the person who is consistently loving, thinking of others feelings before their own, loving their neighbor, yet they don't proclaim to believe in Jesus. I would say the latter, because that person is far more closer to UNDERSTANDING the true nature of God than the first person. And when someone understands you, it is a very pleasing feeling.
God loves both, of course. But the closer you understand and ponder and put LOVE into action, the closer you become to God, in my eyes, whether you realize it or not.

Lots of folks walking right beside Him and they don't yet maybe KNOW that there is someone there.
And others.... well.. others might have some catching up to do, even they think they are walking some sort of "narrow" road.
But He is longsuffering and patient towards us all.
He's the "Good Shepherd" and all that...

Just my itty bitty ol' opinion..
If this is offtopic, I apologize, and am fine with it being deleted..

peace,
sparrow

Old 01-22-2011, 01:27 PM

211 posts, read 479,273 times
Do you think that God is fair? Is He going to coddle you and your beliefs? Will you find Him rude and accusing? All I have to give you is the truth. It's up to you how to take it and what to do with it. I'm just the messenger.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM

1,550 posts, read 2,958,126 times
The OP by June asks the simple question of why are the pastor/preist of the North different from the South. Which if we apply this to our own personal experiences, a good comparison would be you have several children,why does each one has a different personality than another, why does one obey and another disobey, one develops different character ,ethics and morals and another doesn't. It seems to boil down one's person choices in his/her growth in the word of God and it's application in their personal life according to his Word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity