Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
Do you think that God is fair? Is He going to coddle you and your beliefs? Will you find Him rude and accusing? All I have to give you is the truth. It's up to you how to take it and what to do with it. I'm just the messenger.

Yes, I think God is fair. Don't you?
And no, I will most certainly not find Him rude and accusing because He is neither.

Peace.
sparrow

Old 01-22-2011, 02:32 PM

211 posts, read 548,384 times
You must make a conscious decision to receive it, it is not automatic. I received the gift of salvation on April 13, 1995. It is a life changing decision that one never forgets.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 PM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
Many interesting and well thought out questions in the threads I've read here. I have frequently
wondered about much of the same stuff and as an evangelical with a 30 yr Catholic background not withstanding Catholic High, still find it fascinating to see eight churches within a five mile stretch!!!
Being somewhat more focused biblically, now I still find that in spite of distancing myself from dogma,ritual,and religion in general, I see little difference within the "christian" faith(s) defined simply as those faiths that believe in Jesus Christ, His death on the cross our sins and His resurrection. The fillers that "mankind"put in to individual denominations are well intended forms of perhaps misguided devotion, but devotion never-the-less (not daminble just foo foo tradition(s) laced with unauthorized mediators ,means of baptism (in another example) or ceremony not shared by the next church down the block. I then ask the question WHAT DIVISION? Christ dwells in all of them as two or more are gathered!!!!!! Amen?
As for our Jewish friends who haven't found Christ they in my opinion are victims of the high priests
that never "got it" when Jesus distroyed the temple as prophsied and unwittingly set up Israel for
their coming "judgement" in the 7 year Tribulation along with gentile unbelievers left behind. And
as for Islam (wonderful devoted people) are victims of a pagan faith of historic proportions. Other
non Jesus oriented faiths are not "children of God" either as terrible as that is to wrap around the mind of a nice yet unbelieving person(s). This later division is authored by God and His word. When
the Son is excluded from any faiths equation they are more than divided they are the enemy and
are separated from God and merely unevenly yoked by we christians yet the later are commanded to
welcoming them in to hear the word and we are commanded not to judge . We have our own issues
God is dealing with as God rolls His eyes and we are all sinners.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 01-22-2011 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: f

Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Not many people change their minds because they were menacingly threatened... Just saying...

Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Getting back to the OP (what??? - yes, I am!!!) - I was thinking about this the other day. Over the holidays, my in-laws were here. They are Southern Baptists and live, well, in the South! We don't usually discuss religion because they know I'm not religious - but we were discussing some of the other differences between the north and the south. Or rather, the south and most other places. One of the things we were talking about was cursing. Up here - cursing isn't really a big deal. In the south - it is. To my in-laws, cursing is vulgar and denotes someone of a lower class. In NYC, it's just the norm. Everyone curses and nobody thinks much of it.
To me - the south is in some ways like a different country. I notice so many differences in the culture and the people whenever I'm down there. So I guess it only makes sense that their religious services would be vastly different as well.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Getting back to the OP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
Maybe you should ask June for her opinion since it's man's opinion you want anyway.
June's not sure whose opinion who wants at this point, or more importantly, why. All she knows is that she posted a rather simple question regarding the vast discrepancies that she has experienced between the few church services that she has attended in the north, vs. that which she attended in the bible belt. It's not a difficult question; it's just one that June was curious about...

And, for what it's worth, June has already given what she thinks is her opinion in this thread: That there exist cultural norms and differences in church services depending upon where one resides. --Why should that make any difference in terms of the underlying tenents of Christianity? Even someone like June would be inclined to answer: It shouldn't, or doesn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
The OP by June asks the simple question of why are the pastor/preist of the North different from the South.
This ^ would be extremely correct.

And yes, ShabbyChick:

Take gentle care...

Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
This thread seems to have run it's course due to the amount of off topic posts. Therefore it is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity