U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,706,187 times
Reputation: 639

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
My answer, if I may so bold, should be the exclusive teachings of Jesus Christ. Sometimes I wonder if we do not get all worked up over various teachings, including that of Paul and even John in Revelations. Doctrines upon doctrines, and those who claim exclusive insight into these doctrines use them to control and manipulate the masses, thereby causing massive divisions.

If we just took the teachings of Jesus to absolute heart, then even the Good Samaritian is welcomed in heaven, although the Samaritians had no dealings with the Jews.

Welcome back P, haven't seen you in a while. I pray Christmas was happy and wish you all well for you and your family.

Peace,

Tony
Christmas was great and thank you.

I will keep this short because I think this is a great topic and do not want to unintentionally derail it.

When you say the exclusive teachings of Jesus Christ are you suggesting that we may be better off not trying so hard to decifer the whole bible into a doctrinal box and simply focus upon how Jesus represented LOVE?

 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,141,204 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
As June witnessed, the value of intolerance is deeply ingrained into the fabric of many churches in the bible belt. This intolerance permeates into society to the detriment of society.
No. Intolerance is deeply engrained in the people who make up Christianity, not in the teachings of Christ.

Quote:
In this thread I witness the constant snipping and bickering and calling others liars based on each sects interpretation. That's the symptom of the core value that intolerance has become for many believers.
It may be a core value of those who practice intolerance, but it certainly isn't a core value of The Church.

Never forget this: Religion is man made. Faith is God made. Not distinguishing between the two is what creates problems.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,349,285 times
Reputation: 8272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
June never said anything about "intolerance" so where are you getting that from? You're also an atheist and from the south to boot so what is your point? She said the church was "different" but she admittedly said that she's only been to a total of 3 churches now so you can't base anything on one little experience. Of course it was going to be "different".....she's from up north!! But she never said anything about intolerance or that is was a bad experience.

You really give the south a bad name by being so negative about it. Why do you live here?
Perhaps you should read my first post in this thread about the people and most of these people keep their religion completely private.

These people are subject to being preyed upon by some preacher/pastor to further his intolerance, i.e. the Baptist church just west of here that expelled life long members because they didn't vote for Bush in 04.

My negativity is based soundly in the fact that I see first hand the hatred and feuding and the negatives it produces.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,141,204 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Christmas was great and thank you.

I will keep this short because I think this is a great topic and do not want to unintentionally derail it.

When you say the exclusive teachings of Jesus Christ are you suggesting that we may be better off not trying so hard to decifer the whole bible into a doctrinal box and simply focus upon how Jesus represented LOVE?

I wouldn't suggest discarding the rest of Scripture, but you could hardly go far wrong doing that.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,141,204 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Perhaps you should read my first post in this thread about the people and most of these people keep their religion completely private.

These people are subject to being pre*** upon by some preacher/pastor to further his intolerance, i.e. the Baptist church just west of here that expelled life long members because they didn't vote for Bush in 04.

My negativity is based soundly in the fact that I see first hand the hatred and feuding and the negatives it produces.
Too bad you don't live close enough to Oklahoma to come visit my little Southern Baptist church. You'd find a totally different environment. So much so, in fact, that the Deacons will take a preacher aside if he starts preaching politics and let him know, in no uncertain terms, that we don't go for that.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,349,285 times
Reputation: 8272
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No. Intolerance is deeply engrained in the people who make up Christianity, not in the teachings of Christ.
Agreed, but they wear their interpretations of those teachings as a suit of righteousness to spread their intolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It may be a core value of those who practice intolerance, but it certainly isn't a core value of The Church.

Never forget this: Religion is man made. Faith is God made. Not distinguishing between the two is what creates problems.
Are your speaking for your church? I don't know which church that is, not that it matters, but you cannot say that for all the wide varieties of churches. I have witnessed people being told, very bluntly, they are going straight to hell because they go to the wrong church.

Again, agree, and since it is man made, it represents the agenda of man, not a good thing.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,349,285 times
Reputation: 8272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Ashville Native, I wouldn't call the healthy debates between UR people and ET people here as "intolerant."

Intolerant to me is when one goes from words to physical abuse.
So standing in someone's face and scream obscenities at them, telling them they are going to hell, that their sexual preference is sick and despicable, that the color or their skin makes them inferior isn't intolerant? Mind you, no physical contact has been made
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,141,204 times
Reputation: 7707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Agreed, but they wear their interpretations of those teachings as a suit of righteousness to spread their intolerance.



Are your speaking for your church? I don't know which church that is, not that it matters, but you cannot say that for all the wide varieties of churches. I have witnessed people being told, very bluntly, they are going straight to hell because they go to the wrong church.

Again, agree, and since it is man made, it represents the agenda of man, not a good thing.

I've heard that same thing about going to hell and, worse, seen the effects of such beliefs put into practical action. For instance, my own denomination has on-going church planting missions in Indiana. My question is, why? Indiana is already covered up in churches.

The answer, of course, is that most of them are the "wrong" kind of church, ie: not Southern Baptist. It's as if we, and only we, have the "truth" which everyone else needs.

Well..I'm sure we do have the truth, but I'm not so sure we have the ONLY truth.
 
Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
 
Location: MICHIGAN
211 posts, read 481,140 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

We need divisions so that we can see who the real truth teachers are. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian is following Christ.

I agree with this post. I would also like to add a few thoughts, June. I have been a Born-Again Christian (Baptist) for nearly 16 years and I have found that "Christians" come in many flavors. It is easy to understand the confusion that exists and Satan is behind that confusion. He doesn't want people to find the truth because he hates God and he hates those who follow God. First you must understand that there is a HUGE difference between being "religious" and being a Christian. The term Christian gets loosely tossed around and applied to anyone who might occasionally go to church (any church), even if that person lives a wicked and un-Christian life! Anyone can call themselves a Christian. In reality, Christian means FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST. A true follower of Christ keeps His commandments and desires to live a holy life, because HE IS HOLY. Simply belonging to a church that has statues of Jesus does not mean that someone is following Christ! We have the Holy Bible (God's Word) which tells us the kinds of things that are and are not pleasing to God. If someone says that they are a Christian and yet has no regard for what God's Word says, they live a life of sin and not consistent with Biblical living, they do things that God's Word plainly says are sinful, then that person is NOT a Christian, it's that simple.

Now, worship styles are a whole different story and that varies by denomination, culture, etc. As long as the worshiping is being done according to scripture and for Christ alone it is not wrong. It all comes down to obedience to God's Word and in order to know what is right and what is wrong you need to know God's Word. A lot of the reason for so much diversity in churches is due to people doing "that which is right in their own eyes", rather than being obedient to God.
It's a lot to cover in a couple of paragraphs, but I hope it helps!
 
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM
 
7,794 posts, read 10,485,654 times
Reputation: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Just one question: did you just go to one church in the bible belt and base your theory that the bible belt churches are so different than northern ones or did you go to 100 different churches down there and make it more scientific?
June only went to one church while in Tennessee. She admittedly doesn't have a whole lot of experience with various churches; just the two she had ocassion to visit up north. There appeared to be a vast difference, however, in the south. If nothing else, the ministers up here don't yell at the congregation at the end of the service. The two attended up here struck June as being much more peaceful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I
My question to you is what standard dictates that serving one God should manifest as everyone serving that one God believing and acting all the same?
In response to your question, June would have to guess that there is no given "standard" but rather that there exist cultural differences in church services depending on where you live in the United States, and perhaps differences from one denomination to another...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top