U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,222,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
What you described is precisely what June was (is) getting at. Even given the two or three times that June was invited by her minister friend (along with another friend to attend her church) June felt she went into the services with as open minded of a view as any nonbeliever could have, and simply observed what the experience of the service was all about. It was very nice; people were all calm and friendly to one another...There was music, some preaching, and that sort of thing, but nothing that particularly surprised June, even as a non-church goer. She felt like she was just observing believers who were gathering on a Sunday to worship. June felt like an observer.

In contrast, the service in the south was dramatically different. People did shout out a lot of "amen's" and the like, which (although June did not fully understand it) nonetheless didn't strike her as being that unusual given the fact that this was a nondenominational, southern service. What DID catch June totally off guard, though, was the minister's yelling (and quite loudly, June would add) at the end of the service. To be honest, it jolted June as she stood there, and instilled in her (initially) a bit of fear. June isn't used to being yelled at quite so passionately as this minister was obviously in the midst of. She found it interesting, by contrast, in terms of comparing this sort of church service to those she had encountered in the north. Again, she suspects that this is all attributable to her having been in the bible belt, but was nonetheless somewhat intrigued and taken aback by the diversity among services. As well, the message conveyed was of a much harsher tone; what little time June had in speaking with the pastor it was made very clear to her (albeit, in a polite but subtle way) that she was, in fact, destined to hell should she not accept God and the ways of the teaching of the bible and this particular church.

In the end analysis, June can respect both her experiences --that of having attended a service in the north, as well as the south-- but again can't quite piece together what accounts for the variance of the two experiences other than demographics. Which intrigued her, but left her somewhat confused, as welll....

Take gentle care.
sorry you had a bad experience,I can relate.When I was a teenager,I would often go to other churches with friends,and have even had the minister look straight at us and raise his voice: "AND YOU YOUNG PEOPLE...",which made me feel like looking around for someone younger! who,what, where..... WHAT young ppl.......???? they must be hiding under the bench...LOL.

I even once had the minister point his finger at our group and raise his voice,COMMANDING us to come up for alter call. WHA???? I mean,that is just RUDE!! alter call is completely OPTIONAL and is between you n GOD.
sigh.ok,enough.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM

37,500 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
June has accepted love in her heart, she is as saved as you are.
Amen. Robin is too indoctrinated in the "precepts and doctrines of men" to realize the essentials of Christianity "love God and each other" . . . they are NOT specific beliefs.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,222,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
As well, the message conveyed was of a much harsher tone; what little time June had in speaking with the pastor it was made very clear to her (albeit, in a polite but subtle way) that she was, in fact, destined to hell should she not accept God and the ways of the teaching of the bible and this particular church.

and that is just plain WRONG;it's judgmental of said pastor to impart such a thing on you..not what his bible at all tells him to do.
again,sorry that happened to you.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Maybe, maybe not. None of us are in a position to judge the state of your soul, or anyone else's for that matter.

But, the path to true salvation is clear and unambiguous.

A: Admit you're a sinner, that you've violated God's laws.

B. Believe in your heart that Christ was the only Son of God, that He died in payment of your sins and that God raised Him from the dead and He lives today.

C. Confess that, outloud, with your mouth, to another person.

If you've done that, you're as saved as anyone else. If you haven't, your not.
Primitive superstitious misunderstanding of scripture and the NT covenant . . . "Love God and each other." We do not need to do anything to be saved. Our entire species was saved from eternal separation from God by Jesus. We need to work out our own sanctification and build upon what Jesus accomplished for us all. We will reap what we sow . . . but we are all saved . . . as by fire. The more agape love we produce the better. The more selfish non-love we produce the more we will lose. But we are ALL saved.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Apparently not or she would recognize the Bible as truth and Jesus as our Savior.
Where is that made a requirement for "love God and each other" Robin? Don't be ridiculous.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,900,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen. Robin is too indoctrinated in the "precepts and doctrines of men" to realize the essentials of Christianity "love God and each other" . . . they are NOT specific beliefs.
LOL, you really make me laugh Mystic. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, until you do that then you cannot claim to trully love anyone else and until the selfish of this world realize that fact then they will remain lost.LOL

Love your neighbor as yourself, cannot be done until you first love God, He already love you all you need to do is return that love so you can know true love not the false manmade love which is not fit for satan.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Where is that made a requirement for "love God and each other" Robin? Don't be ridiculous.
What about the part that says" I am the way the truth and the life and none come to the Father but thru Me" read the following context and see what happens next.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM

June I am sorry that your honest heart felt questions bear bad fruit amongst the divisions of faith. This goes back to what I was trying to share with you and has played itself out on your thread.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
LOL, you really make me laugh Mystic. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, until you do that then you cannot claim to trully love anyone else and until the selfish of this world realize that fact then they will remain lost.LOL

Love your neighbor as yourself, cannot be done until you first love God, He already love you all you need to do is return that love so you can know true love not the false manmade love which is not fit for satan.
Nothing you said here contradicts what I have said. It agrees with it. You are the one hung up on man-made love (lust) . . . not me. I always refer to agape love. It is not possible for anyone to love (as I mean it) without loving God . . . because God IS love, Robin. You are concerned with totally irrelevant nonsense that has no impact whatsoever on our fate.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Nothing you said here contradicts what I have said. It agrees with it. You are the one hung up on man-made love (lust) . . . not me. I always refer to agape love. It is not possible for anyone to love (as I mean it) without loving God . . . because God IS love, Robin. You are concerned with totally irrelevant nonsense that has no impact whatsoever on our fate.
You completely junped right over and out of the point. If one does not have Jesus in their heart then all they can express is lust never love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity