Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times

Advertisements

Let June start off by saying that she in no possible way means any disrespect to anyone's denominational beliefs or mindset. Likewise, let it be said that June tends to regard herself as a fairly open minded person who tends to strive quite hard to understand and accept where others are coming from; be it culturally (religiously denominational) or otherwise.

June just spent a week in the Bible Belt. As the people she was spending her visit with are Christians, June naturally went to church with them come Sunday morning. (June had only attended a very few church services up north, at home, prior to this, in being friends with two ministers...)

June's question is this: How does one account for the vast divide that would clearly seem to exist across demographics? Why such a difference in mindset in the bible belt as opposed to here, up north? June actually spent a good amount of time talking with the pastor who ran the service; June is someone who wishes to understand other's beliefs and how they apply to real life. --And yet, June is confused as regards what the northern ministers would have to say versus what she experienced in the south. (And NO disrespect is meant or intended here to anyone who resides in the south. Truly!)

Perhaps what June is really asking is this: If you all really have ONE God, then what accounts for such vast variations in terms of your understanding of him, and how do you all reconcile that? June has clearly been on this forum long enough to know that such divides exist, but she is curious as to what other's responses would be...Perhaps as being a "northern intellectual atheist" she was completely unprepared for what she experienced, overall, but still has come away wondering: How do YOU all reconcile the differences that exist, and how do they matter and translate into one's real life as a Christian?

Thanks to all (in advance) who respond here.

Take gentle helpful care.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

We need divisions so that we can see who the real truth teachers are. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian is following Christ.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
June,
simply put....
  1. the amount of theological training one aquires
  2. the predeposition of that training
The fact is that many so called "pastors" come from or have a poor theological foundation. That accounts for almost all the variations.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
In my experience, many people who profess to be Christian do not like God as He is revealed to us in His Holy word. There are many reasons for this but the primary one is probably the most serious sin of them all. The pride of Man. True Christainity is not based on logic or reason at all but on "Faith alone in Christ alone". Everything we know about God and His plans for us and for this world is revealed in the bible and we are givin understanding of this book by the Holy spirit. Now the pride of Man comes into it in this way. If a man does not like what the Word plainly says then he will look for some obsecure text, take it out of context and claim that THAT is the truth of the matter. Another common thing that I have observed is that this pride of Man really causes trouble if there are things of God that are not understandable to the man. "I can't understand it so it must not be true", or the God of my understanding can't possibly be like that so I'll create a God that I can understand.
Can you understand a being that created the uniserse out of nothing by a word? A being that is all powerful all knowing, exists everywhere and at the same time has an intimate relationship with all His own children????

Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

We need divisions so that we can see who the real truth teachers are. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian is following Christ.

trettep:
Thank you for your response. Without looking up, and reading the full context of the quotes that you provided from Corinthians, June is somewhat still left in the dark...She is curious, though, as regards the 1 Corinthians 11:19 passage, as it would almost seem to speak to (if not predict) that "heresies" not only would and should exist, but would somehow be deemed necessary. (Which makes no sense to June.)

June appreciates what you wrote regarding the divisions that exist (which she has been clearly aware of) and yet, is curious as to how Christians think of and deal with this. In other words, there is no doubt in June's mind if either of her minister friends attended a church service or spoke with a pastor in the south, that they would agree on the fundamental principles of Christianity. However, the "delivery" (if you will) of that message struck June as being dramatically different. (And both northern ministers are "biblically based" ministers.)

In short, June remains at a loss as regards the vast differences when it comes to a religion that --at it's base-- is one that bespeaks unity in it's beliefs....

Take gentle "still confused" care...

Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Um, there are differences I'm sure, but that hasn't been my experience, simply because my parents, one northern and one southern, were just vastly different....period. It is religion that brought them together by happenstance, the same denomination, I should say. I think you'll see similarities within the denominations whether it's southern or northern. You apparently attended a completely different denomination than you did in the north.

Now with that said.....the PEOPLE are different, customs are different, even the dialects and accents are soooo different. The ONLY thing my parents could agree on was how they believed from a denominational standpoint. Of course, there are all sorts of details I will spare you but suffice it to say I don't think it's a "religious" difference so much as a geographical one. It's my opinion that northerners should never marry southerners. The differences are too great.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

Pride of man rather than love of Christ. Man thinks he is smarter than God and God proves man wrong everytime. Many of us have vast amounts of knowledge even common sence but we will never be smarter than God. Many Pastors like their paychecks more than their congregation and they have to pretend to be as smart or smarter than God to make those big paychecks and often they must pervert the truth to be more appealing to the world. Many think their knowledge will save them and these are the fools Jesus warns us about.

You are very studious and very knowledgeable of the Bible and your knowledge is what keeps you from Christ, and I pray the Lord will open your eyes to the truth so you can answer your own questions.

I hope this helps but it is all I could think to share as we have shared much in the past.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

June just spent a week in the Bible Belt.
My sympathies.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
I suspect it may be best if I just read this one and not take an active part.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
How do YOU all reconcile the differences that exist, and how do they matter and translate into one's real life as a Christian?
Yes, that was a conundrum for me. One of many that helped to remove the veil of Christianity from my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity