Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

June's question is this: How does one account for the vast divide that would clearly seem to exist across demographics? Why such a difference in mindset in the bible belt as opposed to here, up north?
I think it because, admit it or not - people are just tryin' to find their way, the best way they know how. Know what I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEo7jNxpQnM

Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I think it because, admit it or not - people are just tryin' to find their way, the best way they know how. Know what I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEo7jNxpQnM
Ah, thank you for sharing that B... - that's one of the most beautiful music videos I've ever seen. I will put it on my Facebook wall!

Heartsong

Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
The difference lies in the different theological schools pastors get prior to becoming a minister.

The main differences are Calvinist or Arminian and homogonized flavors of each.

Then there are different levels of spiritual maturity.

Alot of the problems inherring in all the different flavors of Christianity also has to do with rightly dividing and having a properly translated version.

For instance, if your version translated aionios as "eternal" then you have a sadistic God who eternally tortures people. But if you have a version where it is rendered "age-during" or "eonian" then you have a God that chastens people for their betterment. (I'm not saying that to get this thread off on a tangent on that. You just asked why and I'm answering).

It may go back to pride i.e., Civil War where the south is still proud and don't want nuttin to do with them northerners. So they have a different reality map as regards the Scriptures too.

Just one question: did you just go to one church in the bible belt and base your theory that the bible belt churches are so different than northern ones or did you go to 100 different churches down there and make it more scientific?

Last edited by Eusebius; 01-06-2011 at 06:30 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect it may be best if I just read this one and not take an active part.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
well,I will stick up for the Moravians here in the south.(aside from the fact they have a terrific bakery ).they do beleive in hell but they don't emphasize it.they emphasize love,sharing, and caring etc.,the way it should be. and I have never even heard the word hell in the Moravian church. so if you go to one it won't be fire n brimstone scare tactics at all.
the lovefeasts at Christmas are neat,too.as are the beeswax candles.they smell terrific.I used to go to youth group with a friend and make the candles and sing at the lovefeast..it's really neat when everyone is holding up the candles in the dark.so if you can possibly make it to one at Christmastime,do go.(the lovefeast buns are to die for..!)
also the Easter morning sunrise service is neat..I had a friend who used to play in the band.just watch out for the mud if it's been raining..LOL..if you wear heels.....you will sink in.(I think some of these performances are on youtube).

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Let June start off by saying that she in no possible way means any disrespect to anyone's denominational beliefs or mindset. Likewise, let it be said that June tends to regard herself as a fairly open minded person who tends to strive quite hard to understand and accept where others are coming from; be it culturally (religiously denominational) or otherwise.

June just spent a week in the Bible Belt. As the people she was spending her visit with are Christians, June naturally went to church with them come Sunday morning. (June had only attended a very few church services up north, at home, prior to this, in being friends with two ministers...)

June's question is this: How does one account for the vast divide that would clearly seem to exist across demographics? Why such a difference in mindset in the bible belt as opposed to here, up north? June actually spent a good amount of time talking with the pastor who ran the service; June is someone who wishes to understand other's beliefs and how they apply to real life. --And yet, June is confused as regards what the northern ministers would have to say versus what she experienced in the south. (And NO disrespect is meant or intended here to anyone who resides in the south. Truly!)

Perhaps what June is really asking is this: If you all really have ONE God, then what accounts for such vast variations in terms of your understanding of him, and how do you all reconcile that? June has clearly been on this forum long enough to know that such divides exist, but she is curious as to what other's responses would be...Perhaps as being a "northern intellectual atheist" she was completely unprepared for what she experienced, overall, but still has come away wondering: How do YOU all reconcile the differences that exist, and how do they matter and translate into one's real life as a Christian?

Thanks to all (in advance) who respond here.

Take gentle helpful care.

I will answer from my perspective and then I will ask you a question.

I believe the difference in beliefs is that God deals with each of us differently. Unfortunatly, many many religious people cannot accept that someone who believes differently than them are indeed achieving just as much of a spiritual walk as they think they are.

Human nature dictates the problems far more than most will admit. Many need some sort of power over others whether it be real or percieved. I believe this is what causes the "divisions" as people strive to claim that they have the truth and others had better listen.

It feels good when others believe what we believe it can be as euphoric for some as drugs and sex can be for others. Religiousness is some peoples drug of choice.

My question to you is what standard dictates that serving one God should manifest as everyone serving that one God believing and acting all the same?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
My question to you is what standard dictates that serving one God should manifest as everyone serving that one God believing and acting all the same?
My answer, if I may so bold, should be the exclusive teachings of Jesus Christ. Sometimes I wonder if we do not get all worked up over various teachings, including that of Paul and even John in Revelations. Doctrines upon doctrines, and those who claim exclusive insight into these doctrines use them to control and manipulate the masses, thereby causing massive divisions.

If we just took the teachings of Jesus to absolute heart, then even the Good Samaritian is welcomed in heaven, although the Samaritians had no dealings with the Jews.

Welcome back P, haven't seen you in a while. I pray Christmas was happy and wish you all well for you and your family.

Peace,

Tony

Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
My answer, if I may so bold, should be the exclusive teachings of Jesus Christ. Sometimes I wonder if we do not get all worked up over various teachings, including that of Paul and even John in Revelations. Doctrines upon doctrines, and those who claim exclusive insight into these doctrines use them to control and manipulate the masses, thereby causing massive divisions.

If we just took the teachings of Jesus to absolute heart, then even the Good Samaritian is welcomed in heaven, although the Samaritians had no dealings with the Jews.

Welcome back P, haven't seen you in a while. I pray Christmas was happy and wish you all well for you and your family.

Peace,

Tony
OK?, but what are those teachings? The answer you get varies drastically depending on who you ask. Clearly religion is only what the follower wants, and as such poses dangers to society. The feuding of the Hatfields and McCoys or UR'ers and ET'ers is a negative force in society. It creates a normal environment of intolerance, which becomes a value, which to the reasonable person is not acceptable.

As June witnessed, the value of intolerance is deeply ingrained into the fabric of many churches in the bible belt. This intolerance permeates into society to the detriment of society.

In this forum I witness the constant snipping and bickering and calling others liars based on each sects interpretation. That's the symptom of the core value that intolerance has become for many believers.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-06-2011 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: clearity

Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Ashville Native, I wouldn't call the healthy debates between UR people and ET people here as "intolerant."

Intolerant to me is when one goes from words to physical abuse.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
OK?, but what are those teachings? The answer you get varies drastically depending on who you ask. Clearly religion is only what the follower wants, and as such poses dangers to society. The feuding of the Hatfields and McCoys or UR'ers and ET'ers is a negative force in society. It creates a normal environment of intolerance, which becomes a value, which to the reasonable person is not acceptable.

As June witnessed, the value of intolerance is deeply ingrained into the fabric of many churches in the bible belt. This intolerance permeates into society to the detriment of society.

In this thread I witness the constant snipping and bickering and calling others liars based on each sects interpretation. That's the symptom of the core value that intolerance has become for many believers.
June never said anything about "intolerance" so where are you getting that from? You're also an atheist and from the south to boot so what is your point? She said the church was "different" but she admittedly said that she's only been to a total of 3 churches now so you can't base anything on one little experience. Of course it was going to be "different".....she's from up north!! But she never said anything about intolerance or that is was a bad experience.

You really give the south a bad name by being so negative about it. Why do you live here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity