U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,381,502 times
Reputation: 437

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
It is because of Plato, that we have UR.

It is because of Greco-Roman pagan philosophy (which is full of confusion and nonsense) that we have the doctrine of immortal souls and eternal torment.

There's no need to lie to the readers out there just because you're fighting the truth.


I'm trying not to hold it against Augustine, Calvin, and all the others who followed these philosophies, but they really should have known better. Sometimes, my fury gets the better of me.

Last edited by herefornow; 01-06-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,287,428 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
no it is because of Plato that we have immortal souls
God is not responsible for immortal souls but Plato is...I get it.....Plato is a god to you.....thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,287,428 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
It is because of Greco-Roman pagan philosophy (which is full of confusion and nonsense) that we have the doctrine of immortal souls and eternal torment.
Yes! Finally somone with sense from the UR camp....i think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,287,428 times
Reputation: 420
I see a misuse of the terms...if we aren't applying them hermeneutically, then sure, by all means, they can mean anything we want them to, but if we are to apply soul and spirit hermeneutically....then there are standards we must go by. The "soul" is the person. The spirit, is a gift, only via faith in Christ. There is no such thing as an "immortal" soul, as it never was, since all beings are finite, bound by the laws of nature, but it is the sprit which is what a person is blessed with, so that they inherit immortality. In the New testament, when pneuma refers to the human "spirit" it is that which makes the human being a living person (Luke 8:55). Death results in the release of the "spirit" to God (Matthew 27:50; Acts 7:59). The pneuma represents an individual’s deepest thoughts and emotions (Mark 2:8; John 11:33; 1 Corinthians 2:11). The "spirit," in conjunction with the "body" (soma, 1 Corinthians 7:34), the flesh (sarx, 2 Corinthians 7:1) and "soul" (psuche, 1 Thessalonians 5:23) represents the whole person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,823 posts, read 9,815,113 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What's UR?
Universal Restoration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,434,483 times
Reputation: 989
Sciota, you said "the soul is the person." This is so only speaking metonymically. We say "that poor soul" but it is known we are talking about a person. We are souls only in the fact that we are dominated by soul and controlled by soul or soulish sensations. But the soul, as you point out at the end of your post above is the result of body and spirit coming together and then man becomes a living soul.

Last edited by Eusebius; 01-06-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,823 posts, read 9,815,113 times
Reputation: 1301
Plato never used Aion or Aionios for Eternal

So your point is that if Plato never used the word "toilet paper" that people couldn't possibly wipe .... even though there are different words describing it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,381,502 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Plato never used Aion or Aionios for Eternal

So your point is that if Plato never used the word "toilet paper" that people couldn't possibly wipe .... even though there are different words describing it ?

Twin, that's weak. Plato (and others) used "aidios" for eternal. I've tried numerous times to explain this, but nobody (in the traditional camp) seems to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,823 posts, read 9,815,113 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Twin, that's weak. Plato (and others) used "aidios" for eternal. I've tried numerous times to explain this, but nobody (in the traditional camp) seems to care.

Not if it's double ply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,381,502 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Not if it's double ply

That was funny. I laughed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top