U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,226,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Somewhere, it mentions a max life span of 120 years.
yes;I think that was after Noah's time, and then down to 70-80 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM

30,284 posts, read 20,021,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
It's a powerful story of sovereignty, when we see that the Garden was sealed off by Cherubim, and a flaming sword, to keep the way of life. Gen 3:24

What - or Who - is the way of life? Christ!!
That's a very interesting point little elmer.

the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints.
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Thank God that he has chosen to declare the mystery and the unsearchable riches of Christ to the world.That choice is his and not our's.

Oh that we would preach from the unsearchable riches of Christ, rather than the pit of sin,death and condemnation.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,568,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Oh that we would preach from the unsearchable riches of Christ, rather than the pit of sin,death and condemnation.
Absolutely - we have been commanded to do so by the King!

Quote:
Calvary's love will sail forever
Bright and shining, strong and free
Like an ark of peace and safety
On the sea of human need

Through the hours of all the ages
Those tired of sailing on their own
Finally rest inside the shadow
Cast by Calvary's love across their souls

Chorus:
Calvary's love, Calvary's love
Priceless gift Christ makes us worthy of
The deepest sin can't rise above
Calvary's love

Calvary's love can heal the Spirit
Life has crushed and cast aside
And redeem til Heaven's promise
Fills with joy once empty eyes
So desire to tell His story
Of a love that loved enough to die
Burns away all other passions
And fed by Calvary's love becomes a fire

Chorus

Calvary's love has never faltered
All its wonders still remain
Souls still take eternal passage
Sins atoned and heaven gained

Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM

10,193 posts, read 10,570,280 times
finn came pretty close to an answer to something that's vexing me but still I don't understand. Let's take it step by step

God puts them in the garden. He essentially gives them permission to eat of the Tree of Life because it wasn't forbidden. They look at the fruit. It looks good. Hypothetically, if they had taken a bite, they would have been instantly immortal, unless immortality is contingent on continuously eating its fruit to retain immortality (which is not likely since God immediately drove them out of Eden in order to prevent them from ever taking even one bite). They then sin, and the fatal danger was that if they HAD eaten from the Tree of Life pre-sin God probably would have had to destroy them so that they would not live forever in their sinful state.

Anyone see where I'm going with this? Putting Adam & Eve next to the Tree of Life was like putting a child next to a live hand grenade. You know he's going to pull the pin. Come to think of it, why was a Tree even necessary for immortality? isn't that something that only God can confer? Why does God instill a tree with the ability to infuse immortality? None of this is making sense to me from a practical POV.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,376,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
finn came pretty close to an answer to something that's vexing me but still I don't understand. Let's take it step by step

God puts them in the garden. He essentially gives them permission to eat of the Tree of Life because it wasn't forbidden. They look at the fruit. It looks good. Hypothetically, if they had taken a bite, they would have been instantly immortal, unless immortality is contingent on continuously eating its fruit to retain immortality (which is not likely since God immediately drove them out of Eden in order to prevent them from ever taking even one bite). They then sin, and the fatal danger was that if they HAD eaten from the Tree of Life pre-sin God probably would have had to destroy them so that they would not live forever in their sinful state.

Anyone see where I'm going with this? Putting Adam & Eve next to the Tree of Life was like putting a child next to a live hand grenade. You know he's going to pull the pin. Come to think of it, why was a Tree even necessary for immortality? isn't that something that only God can confer? Why does God instill a tree with the ability to infuse immortality? None of this is making sense to me from a practical POV.
Are you really asking these questions out of sincerity? A strong desire to know?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 AM

10,193 posts, read 10,570,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Are you really asking these questions out of sincerity? A strong desire to know?
Yes, I am. I've researched this on the Internet and the answers are far from satisfactory. It makes no sense to me that a Tree of Life gives us immortality when God Himself has the power to grant us immortality. I mean He's God He can do anything he wants, but why use a tree that we have to eat from periodically for all eternity in order to stay immortal? And again I ask, what if Adam & Eve had eaten from the Tree of Life (as it had not been forbidden to them)? One website did suggest that they were eating from the tree regularly while in their pristine state and this is what kept them in a temporary state of immortality---had they not sinned they would have lived forever. Also, anyone ever wonder why Eve did not get pregnant while they were in Eden?

Am I weird or something? Am I the only one these questions occur to?

It suddenly dawns on me that these are pointless issues. Let the thread die.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 AM

17,835 posts, read 8,913,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They were already immortal, so there was no need to eat from the tree of life. Or maybe they ate from it every day, but after they sinned they were not allowed to eat from the tree of life because they had been given the death sentence.

That which is immortal cannot die.
Unless of course, they (mankind) were not immortal to begin with?

"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."

So, mankind is not allowed to eat or drink from the tree of life?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 AM

910 posts, read 1,045,120 times
Quote:
So why didn't God command Adam & Eve not to eat from the Tree of Life as well as the Knowledge of Good & Evil, and what would have happened if they had eaten from the Tree of Life before they sinned?
If we believe that God is all knowing, then we have to at the least believe he knows the end from the beginning. I don't believe he planned for us to live for ever. All we are seeing now are his plans.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:54 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,577,539 times
Quote:
Yes, I am. I've researched this on the Internet and the answers are far from satisfactory. It makes no sense to me that a Tree of Life gives us immortality when God Himself has the power to grant us immortality. I mean He's God He can do anything he wants, but why use a tree that we have to eat from periodically for all eternity in order to stay immortal? And again I ask, what if Adam & Eve had eaten from the Tree of Life (as it had not been forbidden to them)? One website did suggest that they were eating from the tree regularly while in their pristine state and this is what kept them in a temporary state of immortality---had they not sinned they would have lived forever. Also, anyone ever wonder why Eve did not get pregnant while they were in Eden?

Am I weird or something? Am I the only one these questions occur to?

It suddenly dawns on me that these are pointless issues. Let the thread die.
Thrillobyte -

I am glad you started this thread. I think the only problem you have is that you are not seeing the symbols in the story as they are intended because your mind appears to be clouded with literal trees and fruit which are only symbols that tell our story. I do not say this in any demeaning manner, but only in hope that it might help you.

What do you think Jesus meant when he said we must eat of his body and drink of his blood? How might that be related to eating from the Tree of Life?

Also, staying on the theme of trees (lest I seem to highjack this thread) - why do you suppose that Jesus cursed the fig tree and what do you think that actually meant? Just throwing some things out there for you to think about.

Heartsong

Old 01-08-2011, 06:01 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,050,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

That which is immortal cannot die.
Unless of course, they (mankind) were not immortal to begin with?

"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."

So, mankind is not allowed to eat or drink from the tree of life?

Why does one want to keep eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.... when they can eat from the Tree of Life, our Bread of Life, whom sustains all of Life, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ !!

Proverbs 3:17-18
17 Her ways are pleasant ways,
and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
those who hold her fast will be blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity