U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 PM

10,191 posts, read 10,558,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I believe without a shadow of doubt that God intended that we ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that was in the garden.It was all part of his marvellous plan to make known his great love towards us. Just telling us that he loved us , would never have convinced us.
Yeah, I know God loves us very much----but I still kinda wish that Eve would have just stayed the heck away from that darn tree. It wouldn't have broken my heart to grow up in Eden, instead of the dump where I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM

1,116 posts, read 991,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I believe without a shadow of doubt that God intended that we ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that was in the garden.It was all part of his marvellous plan to make known his great love towards us. Just telling us that he loved us , would never have convinced us.

Dying for us while we are sinners leave us in no doubt of the greatness of his love.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.John 15:13

Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5:8]
So, how exactly did his death have any effect on unbelievers?

Last edited by june 7th; 11-13-2011 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Please refrain from using 'red' in posts as it is reserved for mod cuts and mod actions. Any other color is okay. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM

30,253 posts, read 20,001,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
So, how exactly did his death have any effect on unbelievers?
Unfortunately none whatsoever while you remain not believing. But joy and peace to those who believe.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:08 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,352,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Thrillobyte -

I am glad you started this thread. I think the only problem you have is that you are not seeing the symbols in the story as they are intended because your mind appears to be clouded with literal trees and fruit which are only symbols that tell our story. I do not say this in any demeaning manner, but only in hope that it might help you.

What do you think Jesus meant when he said we must eat of his body and drink of his blood? How might that be related to eating from the Tree of Life?

Also, staying on the theme of trees (lest I seem to highjack this thread) - why do you suppose that Jesus cursed the fig tree and what do you think that actually meant? Just throwing some things out there for you to think about.

Heartsong
and do you not see that Satan, Lucifer, did not appear before Eve as a 'serpent'...a snake...but rather in his full glory...in order to have 'legitimacy' in her eyes...

I think the whole 'serpent' story was symbolic...

Satan decieved 1/3 of the angels, not appearing as a 'snake', but rather appearing in his full 'glory'...

People are more easily decieved by 'beauty' than they are by 'uglyness'...

First time you've ever heard this ever...

The boa story is symbolic...I believe Satan decieved Eve, while cloaked in his full 'glory'....

Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,224,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So why didn't God command Adam & Eve not to eat from the Tree of Life as well as the Knowledge of Good & Evil, and what would have happened if they had eaten from the Tree of Life before they sinned?
IDK,but it's a good thing they didn't.we'd be living with our flaws...illnesses,birth defects etc ...forever.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So why didn't God command Adam & Eve not to eat from the Tree of Life as well as the Knowledge of Good & Evil, and what would have happened if they had eaten from the Tree of Life before they sinned?
Than why place the tree in their midst??

To me it's like placing a crack pipe in a crack house, and tell the occupants not to touch it or smoke it...

Sorry, but the odds are just stacked against them...

Or like placing a 6 pack of beer in a room full of alcoholics, and telling them you can walk around the beer, but don't drink it....

Or placeing a briefcase full of money in the living room of thieves...

And telling them not to take it...

The odds just seemed stacked against Adam and Eve from the beggining...or us, or humanity...

I mean Eve was 'sinless' at the time, and she still 'sinned'....she hadn't even known sin, but was still inclined to sin...

I mean if sinless Adam and Eve were sinless, and still inclined to sin...what chance do we have...

It just seems the odds were stacked from the beggining...

Old 11-12-2011, 12:19 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
doctrine of freewill christianity 101
if i cross on the red and the car hits me, did god strike me down?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 PM

But God has free will also...so why didn't he place the tree on the moon, or keep it far away from Adam and Eve?

Obviously God knew they were going to 'sin'...he knew Eve was going to slip....

So why even put them through the whole excercise?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 PM

17,786 posts, read 8,896,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
So why even put them through the whole exercise?
Walking in the Spirit is good exercise, putting into action, use, operation, or effect, that which we learn through experience.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM

37,570 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
So why even put them through the whole excercise?
How else do you teach the concept that there are some responses to our inner drives we should repress? To an animal all responses to its inner drives seem good. Our species had to learn that concept from external experience and learn the distinction between Good and Evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity