U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How else do you teach the concept that there are some responses to our inner drives we should repress? To an animal all responses to its inner drives seem good. Our species had to learn that concept from external experience and learn the distinction between Good and Evil.
Yes, your probably correct...

I just know, or have read, Adam and Eve were placed in the Garden

Then Lucifer gets thrown out of Heaven and takes with him countless other entities...

And I guess was mad at 'God'...but couldn't defeat God, so the next best thing was to disrupt the relationship God had with 'Man'...

A new creation....

What do you think motivated Lucifer, jeliousy maybe?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 03:57 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,889,675 times
Because it was the Tree of Life, not of Death.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and EVIL was the tree of Death.
It was, because it introduced them to sin, to wrong things that bring Death as the "wages of sin."

However, the first sin was doubt...doubting what they knew in their hearts, was right, and true. Disobedience came from that very, first doubt--doubting God, doubting what He had told them, surely, within themselves. Doubting His leading.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Because it was the Tree of Life, not of Death.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and EVIL was the tree of Death.
It was, because it introduced them to sin, to wrong things that bring Death as the "wages of sin."

However, the first sin was doubt...doubting what they knew in their hearts, was right, and true. Disobedience came from that very, first doubt--doubting God, doubting what He had told them, surely, within themselves. Doubting His leading.
Can't argue with you there...

Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,221,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So why didn't God command Adam & Eve not to eat from the Tree of Life as well as the Knowledge of Good & Evil, and what would have happened if they had eaten from the Tree of Life before they sinned?
they would have lived forever in the fallen state we are in now.defects and all.sickness,illnesses,etc.,forever.thank God He prevented that.as such,death provides the way for resurrection into an incorrupible,perfect body that lives forever in that state.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM

What was the ingrediants to that 'fruit', that would allow one to live forever?? and by-pass the cross...

Was it like atomic fruit?

Whatever the ingrediants to this fruit, that's some science i don't know about yet...

Now your confusing me...or maybe I'm confusing myself...

Is the tree 'god' or is god 'God?'

How can a tree have equal or more power than God?

Man, this is getting more and more interesting...

Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM

37,472 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Yes, your probably correct...
I just know, or have read, Adam and Eve were placed in the Garden
Then Lucifer gets thrown out of Heaven and takes with him countless other entities...
And I guess was mad at 'God'...but couldn't defeat God, so the next best thing was to disrupt the relationship God had with 'Man'...
A new creation....
What do you think motivated Lucifer, jeliousy maybe?
There is no need to pretend that the stories are reality to learn the embedded lessons . . . unless you just want to ridicule those who actually believe them as historical fact. I suspect the latter is your aim. What possible motive could you have for trying to unsettle those whose intellectual and spiritual development is such that they actually believe the stories as literal fact? If they were at a different stage of development . . . they would already have a different viewpoint.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no need to pretend that the stories are reality to learn the embedded lessons . . . unless you just want to ridicule those who actually believe them as historical fact. I suspect the latter is your aim. What possible motive could you have for trying to unsettle those whose intellectual and spiritual development is such that they actually believe the stories as literal fact? If they were at a different stage of development . . . they would already have a different viewpoint.
My intentions are actually 'good'...

I just know that tough questions 'purge'....the weak, unlearned, those without real faith, drop off...

And those who remain are those who really believe..

Not to mention I'm still constantly learning myself...

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,078,157 times
It seems like the tree of life was always an option for Adam and Eve, until they ate of the forbidden fruit. In His wisdom, God chose to remove the tree of life from man. It wasn't a permanent removal though. God says the righteous will have accesss to the tree once again in the future.

"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God" (Revelation 2:7).

"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city" (Revelation 22:14).

I think an important theme of the Bible is established right off with the story of Adam and Eve, and that is obedience. This theme continues to run through all sixty-six books. Like the scripture says, those who do His commandments will have the right to the tree of life.

This is an interesting thread, and it's non-controversial. That is very refreshing. Thank you OP.

Katie

Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM

37,472 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
My intentions are actually 'good'...
I just know that tough questions 'purge'....the weak, unlearned, those without real faith, drop off...
And those who remain are those who really believe..
Not to mention I'm still constantly learning myself...
I stand corrected. The scriptures are lessons to be learned and perpetuated as guides to righteousness (both good and bad examples) . . . but NOT believed as literal fact and perpetuated as history. What we create within our minds is "Spiritual reality" and the evolution of those cognitive creations reveal the path to our understanding of God and our Spiritual role. God is Spirit and is only concerned with our Spiritual development and maturation. Any and all carnal and worldly concerns are only distractions. Unfortunately, our carnal minds did not and do not see it that way at all. That is the source of all the confusion and dissension.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 11-12-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
its the wrong tree of life. knowledge of good and evil is opposite of innocence.
the tree of life that is immortal is innocence. they already had it. the purpose of the story is to teach that innocence is the true tree of life. they are not talking about bark and wood trees its an allegory.
its not a history book its a book on moral lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity