U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I stand corrected. The scriptures are lessons to be learned and perpetuated as guides to righteousness (both good and bad examples) . . . but NOT believed as literal fact and perpetuated as history. What we create within our minds is "Spiritual reality" and the evolution of those cognitive creations reveal the path to our understanding of God and our Spiritual role. God is Spirit and is only concerned with our Spiritual development and maturation. Any and all carnal and worldly concerns are only distractions. Unfortunately, our carnal minds did not and do not see it that way at all. That is the source of all the confusion and dissension.
Your post was helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its the wrong tree of life. knowledge of good and evil is opposite of innocence.
the tree of life that is immortal is innocence. they already had it. the purpose of the story is to teach that innocence is the true tree of life. they are not talking about bark and wood trees its an allegory.
its not a history book its a book on moral lessons.
This is helpful too...to certain people trying to learn stuff...thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,889,675 times
Time and Space, well of course it probably was not the fruit, itself that granted eternal life. But, okay...is this symbolic or was it the fruit that was so fantastic? I think it was the obedience to God, and what they knew in their hearts that was right to do. God called it the Tree of Life, and He did tell them to partake of it, so if they obeyed, they had eternal life. Hmm...now, you have me pondering this, as I type. I like that!

So, if the tree that was death was such a no-no, was it that way only because they obeyed if they partook, or was it something like peyote buttons that really did mess with their minds, and seduce them into sinning?

Okay, I'll hush.... because now I have a bit more questioning, instead of answers for you/us.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 AM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Time and Space, well of course it probably was not the fruit, itself that granted eternal life. But, okay...is this symbolic or was it the fruit that was so fantastic? I think it was the obedience to God, and what they knew in their hearts that was right to do. God called it the Tree of Life, and He did tell them to partake of it, so if they obeyed, they had eternal life. Hmm...now, you have me pondering this, as I type. I like that!

So, if the tree that was death was such a no-no, was it that way only because they obeyed if they partook, or was it something like peyote buttons that really did mess with their minds, and seduce them into sinning?

Okay, I'll hush.... because now I have a bit more questioning, instead of answers for you/us.
You are funny...you actually made me laugh, chuckle, but in a good way...

Ok, now I'm just as confused as you again....

Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 AM

6,643 posts, read 3,991,179 times
It is all symbolic

The law is the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Two trees in the garden both a figure of the true.

Tree of life a figure of Jesus Christ our tree of life.

Tree of knowledge of good and evil a figure of the law.

There is no actual tree that gives life nor is there a actual tree that gives us knowledge.

The law or tree of knowledge was the commandment THOU SHALT NOT.

What is this tree that can bring death to man?

Now we know that death comes because of sin RO.5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin.

Therefore we can see that it is sin that brings death to man , but what brings us the knowledge of what sin is?

The law. RO.3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Therefore the tree of knowledge of good and evil is the law for by eating of the tree death entered into the world.

Now is the knowledge of good and evil ( the law ) sin RO.7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

So we can see that the tree of knowledge of good and evil is the law, for it is only by way of the law that we have the knowledge of sin.

Dying thou shalt die, the law is a ministration of death.

So what can be said of the cherub that guards the way back into the garden?

On the vail of the tabernacle are cherubims, that vail divides the holy place from the most holy/or the Holiest of all.

When Jesus died on the cross that vail was torn asunder, that vail was His flesh.

Thus our flesh life is that which stops us from entering into the Holiest of all.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 PM

463 posts, read 381,437 times
He did.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:09 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,941,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So why didn't God command Adam & Eve not to eat from the Tree of Life as well as the Knowledge of Good & Evil, and what would have happened if they had eaten from the Tree of Life before they sinned?
It seems apparent they needed to eat of the tree of life in order to continue in the Life of God and they did until they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. By doing so, purity took back stage to having the knowledge of evil through a bad conscience that needed redemption, but only in the fullness of time so as to include the rest of humanity. Redemption had to be done in the only way possible as God's wisdom decreed, though we might not understand it much or not at all yet for some. It is written, "The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom."
I believe it all comes down to free will because love can not be forced. Their fall made them and us realize that love really does matter over pride, money, power, etc, etc. And we have the opportunity to get Love back through Christ.

GEN 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
GEN 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat:
GEN 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die.

Last edited by garya123; 11-13-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,505,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
It's a powerful story of sovereignty, when we see that the Garden was sealed off by Cherubim, and a flaming sword, to keep the way of life. Gen 3:24
You can't go home again.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM

30,137 posts, read 19,958,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
You can't go home again.
Eden is not your home Theo, Christ Is.

1How lovely is your dwelling place,
O*LORD Almighty!
2My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.
3Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young—
a place near your altar,
O*LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
4Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you.*******Selah Psalm 84

Christ is your home brother, and you are His too .

Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,224,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So why didn't God command Adam & Eve not to eat from the Tree of Life as well as the Knowledge of Good & Evil, and what would have happened if they had eaten from the Tree of Life before they sinned?
Every tall tale needs a plot, the whole story line relies on this event.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,441,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Every tall tale needs a plot, the whole story line relies on this event.
Yup, it's Plato stuff. Life was some kind of incredible virtue for the those residing in the Garden to combine by Words and Names, in general, terms for opinions about the final knowledge trusted to be sure only by God. thanx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity