Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,805,723 times

Advertisements

Okay Mystic asked me to start a thread on the red lettered words of the Bible which are considered the actual words spoken by Christ during His earthly ministry and life. Before I get started I just want to make sure everyone understands that these words are not the only words of Christ infact the entire Bible, OT and NT, are the words of Christ expressed thru the personalities of many men of God.

Luke 2:49 How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Fathers business?

I know there isnt much to this one but perhaps there is more than we see.

Opinions and interpritations please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,045,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Okay Mystic asked me to start a thread on the red lettered words of the Bible which are considered the actual words spoken by Christ during His earthly ministry and life. Before I get started I just want to make sure everyone understands that these words are not the only words of Christ infact the entire Bible, OT and NT, are the words of Christ expressed thru the personalities of many men of God.

Luke 2:49 How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Fathers business?

Jesus went around doing the Father's business

The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

"Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-08-2011 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 06:07 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,314,696 times
“No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says:
He is always convinced that it says what he means.”
- George Bernard Shaw.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 AM

63,387 posts, read 39,647,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post

I am glad you took my advice about this thread . . . but you have not provided what YOU think the significance of these words are for YOUR understanding of Jesus and God . . . since that is where we primarily differ. This seems an innocuous enough passage that doesn't afford much in the way of misinterpretation. We disagree about the entire Bible (especially the OT) . . . so let's just focus on Jesus who is the only reliable Word of God who abides with us today as His Holy Spirit within our consciousnesses.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:09 AM

63,387 posts, read 39,647,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
“No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says:
He is always convinced that it says what he means.”
- George Bernard Shaw.
I love the quote . . . it reveals the crux of the difficulties between Christianity and Bibleanity or Churchianity or perhaps "Jehovahianity."

Old 01-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am glad you took my advice about this thread . . . but you have not provided what YOU think the significance of these words are for YOUR understanding of Jesus and God . . . since that is where we primarily differ. This seems an innocuous enough passage that doesn't afford much in the way of misinterpretation. We disagree about the entire Bible (especially the OT) . . . so let's just focus on Jesus who is the only reliable Word of God who abides with us today as His Holy Spirit within our consciousnesses.
Lets take it one step at a time, humor me if you will.

I like what pcamps shared

It may seem trivial but it tells me a few things about Christ.

First it tells me that He knew His mission from the beginning of His earthly life and that the Holy Spirit already dwelled within Him.

Second, He was anxious to get started but knew that it wasnt yet His time.

Third, If this was any normal child He would appear arogant by our standards yet justified by Gods standards.

This go to the context and is questions not opinions;

Why did they leave Him behind for the length of time they did?

How did they not notice He was gone sooner?

How would an ordinary child of 12 be able to dispute temple elders?

Be bake later with the next ones

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM

9,664 posts, read 9,921,542 times
In Matthew 2 :14......Jesus, his mother and Joseph fled into Egypt ...and was there until the death of King Harold when Jesus grew up in Roman Egypt according to Gospel of Matthew......Harold died in 9 A.D. according to History and Jesus was called out of Egypt by the Lord as in Hosea 11:1 Prophecied..... So this would also fit into the time line when Jesus came to Jerusalem in Luke 2:42 when Jesus was twelve years old , but from Luke 2:22-through to verse 41 is a contradiction to the Gospel of Matthew histroy of Jesus early life...... See they left the child in Jerusalem for a day before they discovered he was missing....... If they were to do that in some cities today in America the child welfare would take the child and you have to spend months in court trying to get him back for any child abandonment suits........

Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,128,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In Matthew 2 :14......Jesus, his mother and Joseph fled into Egypt ...and was there until the death of King Harold when Jesus grew up in Roman Egypt according to Gospel of Matthew......Harold died in 9 A.D. according to History and Jesus was called out of Egypt by the Lord as in Hosea 11:1 Prophecied..... So this would also fit into the time line when Jesus came to Jerusalem in Luke 2:42 when Jesus was twelve years old , but from Luke 2:22-through to verse 41 is a contradiction to the Gospel of Matthew histroy of Jesus early life...... See they left the child in Jerusalem for a day before they discovered he was missing....... If they were to do that in some cities today in America the child welfare would take the child and you have to spend months in court trying to get him back for any child abandonment suits........
Of course, they probably had a huge caravan of camels and such, so missing children were not that uncommon. It wasn't like they could just yell and they would show up.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM

Okay lets try another, context is the key for this one but look at the way He speaks, so literal almost callous.

Matthew 3:15 Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM

43 posts, read 46,615 times
For clarity's sake, would people mind listing which version of the Bible they are quoting when they quote it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity