U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM

30,295 posts, read 20,036,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
How do you know what David meant or what god means and so on? The passages are clear. David, a king, had his enemies both in his court and in other nations. He simply wanted HIS god to destroy them. Simple as that and we also read that god obliged his wishes as long as he remained faithful.
How do i know ?

Because of the life of Christ in me, who told us to love our enemies.Israel never understood this .

Whenever David saw is desires on his enemies happen , he said it was God.

Job said the Lord gives and the Lord takes away, he also said that which i greatly feared came upon me. The gifts of God are irrevocable, so we know God never took anything away from him, so what was he fearing ?. He got what he was fearing, why blame God for taking it away from him ?.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-15-2011 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 03:55 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,724,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How do i know ?

Because of the life of Christ in me, who told us to love our enemies.Israel never understood this .
So if loving our enemies does not come naturally, where was Jesus in Old Testament times to show a better example? Where do we find great examples of this kind of love in the Old Testament outside of David having mercy on Saul which of course begs another question?

Quote:
Whenever David saw is desires on his enemies happen , he said it was God.
Where do we find god correcting his error?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Insane
You know yourself, that you can prove somebody the error of their way(thinking) and they will refuse to see it, what more can you do ?.

They believed their enemies were those who were against them, or those they were against. They couldn't comprehend loving their enemies,and neither could they comprehend their enemies were of his own household(mind)

It's absolutely no different today as it was then ,men curse and fight their enemies, even though Jesus is here today.

You asked where Jesus was in the OT, the answer is, he was right their with them but they did not recognize him.
and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.1 Cor 10:4

You asked,Where do we see god correcting his error ? first of all it was no error on God's side

Yet he corrected their error of thinking

Jesus said "If you have seen me you have seen the Father".

God has always given man something to look at, right from the tree of life in the garden to Himself manifested in the flesh "behold the lamb of God" and all the between bit too.Unfortunately our minds are that far alienated from him we cannot see him, and also refuse to see him, and in our own imagination we created who we think God is, and how we think he is, with disasterous effect, where by loving our enemies is alien to us,and killing them believing we believe we are doing God a service.

Now you ask why will not God do us all a favor and open our eyes to see our error ?, he has . Jesus is God's eye opener, but we love darkness rather than light.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,724,609 times
Quote:
Insane
You know yourself, that you can prove somebody the error of their way(thinking) and they will refuse to see it, what more can you do ?.

They believed their enemies were those who were against them, or those they were against. They couldn't comprehend loving their enemies,and neither could they comprehend their enemies were of his own household(mind)

It's absolutely no different today as it was then ,men curse and fight their enemies, even though Jesus is here today.

You asked where Jesus was in the OT, the answer is, he was right their with them but they did not recognize him.
and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.1 Cor 10:4

You asked,Where do we see god correcting his error ? first of all it was no error on God's side

Yet he corrected their error of thinking

Jesus said "If you have seen me you have seen the Father".

God has always given man something to look at, right from the tree of life in the garden to Himself manifested in the flesh "behold the lamb of God" and all the between bit too.Unfortunately our minds are that far alienated from him we cannot see him, and also refuse to see him, and in our own imagination we created who we think God is, and how we think he is, with disasterous effect, where by loving our enemies is alien to us,and killing them believing we believe we are doing God a service.

Now you ask why will not God do us all a favor and open our eyes to see our error ?, he has . Jesus is God's eye opener, but we love darkness rather than light.
Ok sir! I don't buy it, but you're entitled to that opinion.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:37 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,833,848 times
Quote:
These are passages asking god to places curses on others or to destroy others that were considered enemies. How does the Christian who see the OT as literally god-inspired and valid reconcile this with Jesus' teachings about forgiveness in place of retaliation and, I guess, vindictive prayers?
By the fact that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.
The God of the OT is the same in the NT

God in the OT was about forgiveness as in the NT ... just look for it.

God is just as angry and holds unbelief accountable in the NT as in the OT.... just look for it.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Ok sir! I don't buy it, but you're entitled to that opinion.
Fair enough Insane and you are very much entitled to yours too, and i very much respect your honest questions.You cause us to think and that ain't a bad thing.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,387,196 times
Quote:
Fair enough Insane and you are very much entitled to yours too, and i very much respect your honest questions.You cause us to think and that ain't a bad thing.

I'm glad he posts around here. I'm learning more every day.

You said, "You asked where Jesus was in the OT, the answer is, he was right there with them but they did not recognize him."

I think we can see some of that battle going on in the OT. The God of the OT looks schizophrenic, but maybe it comes across that way because humans were trying to figure out what love was. I read the OT like I was reading a diary written by spiritual teenagers.

Jesus came and basically said, "It's time to grow up."

Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 PM

I actually believe the days of quoting scripture at folk is over, man today see's through all the flaws of the confusing contradictory gospel, and all the flaws of our lives that do not back up what we say we believe.If they can't see it in us, they are never going to believe it through a barrage of scriptures at them, which more often than not consists of telling them God loves them scriptures, but also he's going to send them to hell in love if they don't believe, and if they happen to do believe, we love them as new believers, then comes the heavy discipleship and shepherding that totally oppresses the newly convert, and ends up having more hang ups then he did before he believed.

At that time Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his forces said to Abraham, God is with you in everything you do.

This is what the world needs to see, the reality of Christ in us

Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM

13,468 posts, read 21,235,453 times
I think the Psalms show us the emotional side of man..I can relate a little to David. Emotional extremes lead me to my notebooks and journals where I write down exactly what I am thinking.. It is a release for my anger, confusion, joy and often my love, brought on by various things that happen daily in my life that I may or may not have any contril over.
Davids life was much more complicated than mine is

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,053,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think the Psalms show us the emotional side of man..I can relate a little to David. Emotional extremes lead me to my notebooks and journals where I write down exactly what I am thinking.. It is a release for my anger, confusion, joy and often my love, brought on by various things that happen daily in my life that I may or may not have any contril over.
Davids life was much more complicated than mine is
Amen...

The Psalms and journaling has help me in many ways, many times !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity