U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,726,772 times

Advertisements

These are passages asking god to places curses on others or to destroy others that were considered enemies. How does the Christian who see the OT as literally god-inspired and valid reconcile this with Jesus' teachings about forgiveness in place of retaliation and, I guess, vindictive prayers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,120,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
These are passages asking god to places curses on others or to destroy others that were considered enemies. How does the Christian who see the OT as literally god-inspired and valid reconcile this with Jesus' teachings about forgiveness in place of retaliation and, I guess, vindictive prayers?
Hi Insane!!
I think there are many ways to "deal with it," depending on how you understand various other things: who God is, who Jesus is, what happened at Calvary, etc, etc.

One thought that might be useful when reading the OT: the outpouring and anointing of the Holy Ghost which we've seen happening since Pentecost was never known back then.

Also, if you look at the scriptures from a spiritual, shadows/types POV, you can see that the enemies that are destroyed/defeated are those powers of man's own flesh which are crushed under one's feet when God reigns in the heart. All of the OT reflects this.

Lastly, we are coming into a knowledge about God which man has never understood while here on earth. Jesus' message was a scandal to the religious of his time, Paul's writings were even more scandalous. We're moving higher and higher into God, and it's wonderful.. although the traditions of men don't tolerate it..

Just my 2c..

Blessings,
Brian

Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,294,892 times
They lived in a harsher world where survival was critical and all judgments had to be in this life. In my faith the immoral can go through Purgation or Hell. Old Testament thinking is much more of "this world." As is Judaism, although Judaism usually gives a much more analytical or just different way of seeing those events than Christians tend to do.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 AM

17,939 posts, read 8,938,676 times
Proverbs 16:7
When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD; He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:38 AM

7,881 posts, read 6,696,496 times
There are many correction of Old Testament that Jesus made in Matthew 5 and Matthew 6....... Like bless men who presecute you pray for them, instead of condemn them prayer in Psalms.... or I have not come to destroy the law and the prophets but to fulfill ..... for that except your rightousness shall exceed the rightousness of the scribs and the pharisees you shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven...... and so on ..... changing the Old Covenant of the blessing of Issac to the covenant were all people could be born again and recieve the Holy Spirit........ Where the people inspired to write the Old Testament were not born again and the Holy Spirit was in the Temple of Jerusalem, but could visit prophets and People of Israel who sought the Lord in their compassions of faith, but did not live on them as born again Christians ....... so the Word of God in Old Testament came from a view of Legalism and free thinking from time to time .............

Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM

30,311 posts, read 20,045,872 times
Quote:
I don't know if you know Insane , but the scriptures record the best and worst of us , it's a wart and all account, even exposing the evil thoughts we have,which is the root problem of us all

.The Lord saw how great manís wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. Gen 6:5

My thought are not your thoughts Isaiah 55:9

Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I don't know if you know Insane , but the scriptures record the best and worst of us , it's a wart and all account, even exposing the evil thoughts we have,which is the root problem of us all

.The Lord saw how great manís wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. Gen 6:5

My thought are not your thoughts Isaiah 55:9
So these Psalms, recorded for us, are examples of evil thoughts I take it?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 AM

30,311 posts, read 20,045,872 times
Quote:
So these Psalms, recorded for us, are examples of evil thoughts I take it?
What David understood has his enemies and what God meant were his enemies were 2 different things. The only enemy a man has is them of his own household(the old man),his thoughts that are not God thoughts. The old man which cannot understand this will always see his enemy as outside of him.

a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.Matt 10:36

David though he wrote the psalm under inspiration, obviously did not understand who is real enemies were.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,583,231 times
Quote:
What David understood has his enemies and what God meant were his enemies were 2 different things. The only enemy a man has is them of his own household (the old man),his thoughts that are not God thoughts. The old man which cannot understand this will always see his enemy as outside of him.

David though he wrote the psalm under inspiration, obviously did not understand who is real enemies were.
That's the way I see it. Well put.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
What David understood has his enemies and what God meant were his enemies were 2 different things. The only enemy a man has is them of his own household(the old man),his thoughts that are not God thoughts. The old man which cannot understand this will always see his enemy as outside of him.

How do you know what David meant or what god means and so on? The passages are clear. David, a king, had his enemies both in his court and in other nations. He simply wanted HIS god to destroy them. Simple as that and we also read that god obliged his wishes as long as he remained faithful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity