Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus, the writer of Hebrews and Peter believed the Noahic flood did take place and that it was world-wide.

So, yes, Noah, his wife and six other family members re-kick started earth's population and all cultures today come from their offspring.

Either Jesus tells the truth or not. Jesus tells all the truth...all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
I too believe Jesus tells the truth in all things. I guess where we differ is that I beliveve the truth is in his message not the details of the stories. But to each his own.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
The story on Noah's flood is an interesting one. Reminds me of the Bush Man in the God's Must Be Crazy movie. He goes to what HE believes is the "edge of the world" and tosses the evil bottle over the edge. So, either Noah or the writer traveled around the globe to know the ENTIRE earth was covered with water OR what is more likely, their immediate world was flooded and the language conveyed cannot be read/seen for what it truly means by the literalist Christian. Of course, the writer doesn't help matters when he starts talking about mountain peaks being covered.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
As for Adam and Eve they may have been the only people in the garden of eden, however I thought there were more people in Nod. Sometimes I think we all orginated from another planet, and when God flooded it he sent Noah to Earth who knows

Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
The story on Noah's flood is an interesting one. Reminds me of the Bush Man in the God's Must Be Crazy movie. He goes to what HE believes is the "edge of the world" and tosses the evil bottle over the edge. So, either Noah or the writer traveled around the globe to know the ENTIRE earth was covered with water OR what is more likely, their immediate world was flooded and the language conveyed cannot be read/seen for what it truly means by the literalist Christian. Of course, the writer doesn't help matters when he starts talking about mountain peaks being covered.
Neither Jeses, nor the writer of Hebrews nor peter were as stupid as the bushman portrayed in the God's Must be Crazy movie.

Neither were the writers of the Old Testament as stupid as that bush man.

Why does the writer not help matters when he "starts talking about mountain peaks being covered"?

Who said they had to travel around the globe to know if every mountain was covered? Maybe there was just one continent back then.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Neither Jeses, nor the writer of Hebrews nor peter were as stupid as the bushman portrayed in the God's Must be Crazy movie.

Neither were the writers of the Old Testament as stupid as that bush man.

Why does the writer not help matters when he "starts talking about mountain peaks being covered"?

Who said they had to travel around the globe to know if every mountain was covered? Maybe there was just one continent back then.
So the Bush Man is "stupid" but the Jews of 2,400 years ago were far more enlightened, huh? They were NOT limited in their understanding of the world around them as just about everybody else of their times?

Even if there was just one continent, we are to believe that the writer traversed it to KNOW the entire earth was covered with water or that Noah went on 25,000 mile journey around the earth on his ark to properly inform us on this?

The high esteem you have for Jesus, the bible and its writers basically hamstrings you from experiencing your full potential to see far more.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
it would have taken a ship bigger than any aircraft carrier t carry EVERY animal in the world.but if you look at the OP one of the bigger questions are.Why would abrahams kids,being devotes of Yeshua start all other religious cultures,they would have had no knowledge of such cultures???

and hat about all the other races,i think youve just avoided the question and exepted that what is written in a book.Im not saying that Jesus is a liar,but i doubt he beleived in this.infact scientific evidence has disproved this theory of a global flood,i realy think it was regional.

could you tell me when(what year)this was meant to take place????
Interesting points.
Other verses which, taken from a literal POV, are quite impossible:

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16.15

"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed." Luke 2.1

"And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar." Acts 11.28

"For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes" Acts 24.5

"First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world." Rom. 1.8

"But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." Rom. 10.18

etc...

Literalism is, imo, quite a dangerous approach to reading scripture.. (and probably the cause of most wars, crusades, etc.)

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Interesting points.
Other verses which, taken from a literal POV, are quite impossible:

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16.15

"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed." Luke 2.1

"And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar." Acts 11.28

"For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes" Acts 24.5

"First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world." Rom. 1.8

"But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." Rom. 10.18

etc...

Literalism is, imo, quite a dangerous approach to reading scripture.. (and probably the cause of most wars, crusades, etc.)

Blessings,
brian

I used to know the term used for this, but it escapes me right now. I think there is a passage in the Gospels where it says that ALL of Israel came out to hear Jesus. The literalist HAS to believe that the writer means that every single person in the land went to hear Jesus speak if he or she is going to believe that the WHOLE earth was covered by water.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I used to know the term used for this, but it escapes me right now. I think there is a passage in the Gospels where it says that ALL of Israel came out to hear Jesus. The literalist HAS to believe that the writer means that every single person in the land went to hear Jesus speak if he or she is going to believe that the WHOLE earth was covered by water.
Yes; and believing in a real dragon, beasts with several heads, Jesus with a sword coming out of his mouth...

-And people say that sci-fi movies are far-fetched!!

Blessings!
Brian

Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Yes; and believing in a real dragon, beasts with several heads, Jesus with a sword coming out of his mouth...

-And people say that sci-fi movies are far-fetched!!

Blessings!
Brian
And the writer pre-warned the reader that it was just a VISION of things which stood for other literal things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity