U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,710,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I got my proof the same place you got yours.
But I thought the Bible was ALL the proof you needed and if it's NOT in the Bible then it might not have occured and if it is in thE Bible it is 100% accurate and true. that's the impression I get from you.

What you mentioned is speculation (and lots of it) and perhaps you could be right, but when others speculate based on the evidence available, please don't act clueless.

~ Management
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 AM

17,968 posts, read 12,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
But I thought the Bible was ALL the proof you needed and if it's NOT in the Bible then it might not have occured and if it is in thE Bible it is 100% accurate and true. that's the impression I get from you.
The impression you get from me is inaccurate.
The Bible does not record the apostle Paul taking a crap and wiping himself with papyrus. Yet I think it is pretty safe to say he performed his normaly daily functions. The Bible need not record every last thing that ever happened.

Quote:
What you mentioned is speculation (and lots of it) and perhaps you could be right, but when others speculate based on the evidence available, please don't act clueless.

~ Management
What you mention is speculation as well and not backed up by scientific facts. So we are in the same boat (no pun intended).

Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
The impression you get from me is innacurate.
The Bible does not record the apostle Paul taking a crap and wiping himself with papyrus. Yet I think it is pretty safe to say he performed his normaly daily functions. The Bible need not record every last thing that ever happened.
Keep THAT in mind, ok? thanks.

Quote:
What you mention is speculation as well and not backed up by scientific facts. So we are in the same boat (no pun intended).
So you are admitting that your latest speculation was just that, rather than, something based on scientific fact? Ok, let's go over this again.

One of the world's greatest explosions EVER took place in the neigborhood time frame of the alleged biblical Exodus. The blast took place a mere 800 miles or so from Egypt. In addition, the Mediterranean region, notably the eastern side is an volatile earthquake zone and this sandwiched to the east by the Rift valley and its seismic zone also. We know from relatively recent volacanic explosions (Tambora in 1815 and Krakatoa in the late 1800s) that such massive blasts can darken the skies clear on the other side of the world AND drop temperatures and lead to all soughts of other disasters. We also know that earthquakes often awaken volcanos and that they also can rip apart the earth and release deadly gasses on land and under water. These are scientific observations that can be taken as FACTS.

Now, imagine such a cataclysmic disaster occuring not too far away from your home in say, 2000 BCE. You don't see it happen, but you see the dramatic effects on your surroundings. Don't you think this would be a great incubator for fantastic legends with mythical elements ESPECIALLY in an ancient world populated with all kinds of invisible gods above, on and below the earth?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Keep THAT in mind, ok? thanks.

So you are admitting that your latest speculation was just that, rather than, something based on scientific fact? Ok, let's go over this again.

One of the world's greatest explosions EVER took place in the neigborhood time frame of the alleged biblical Exodus. The blast took place a mere 800 miles or so from Egypt. In addition, the Mediterranean region, notably the eastern side is an volatile earthquake zone and this sandwiched to the east by the Rift valley and its seismic zone also. We know from relatively recent volacanic explosions (Tambora in 1815 and Krakatoa in the late 1800s) that such massive blasts can darken the skies clear on the other side of the world AND drop temperatures and lead to all soughts of other disasters. We also know that earthquakes often awaken volcanos and that they also can rip apart the earth and release deadly gasses on land and under water. These are scientific observations that can be taken as FACTS.

Now, imagine such a cataclysmic disaster occuring not too far away from your home in say, 2000 BCE. You don't see it happen, but you see the dramatic effects on your surroundings. Don't you think this would be a great incubator for fantastic legends with mythical elements ESPECIALLY in an ancient world populated with all kinds of invisible gods above, on and below the earth?
Sheer speculation on your part. You first of all have to scientifically prove that that explosion occurred at the exact same time Moses and party were getting ready to exit Egypt.

Secondly, you have to scientifically prove the winds carried the explosive debris over Egypt from 800 miles away.

Thirdly, you have to scientifically prove that each of the plagues are directly related to that explosion.

What is interesting is that when the vulcano erupted just lately spewing ash over parts of Europe no one saw lice on everyone or frogs everywhere or blood in the rivers or firstborn of animals and humans killed etc. etc. etc. Care to try your fanciful wishful thinking again? I wasn't born yesterday.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Sheer speculation on your part. You first of all have to scientifically prove that that explosion occurred at the exact same time Moses and party were getting ready to exit Egypt.

Secondly, you have to scientifically prove the winds carried the explosive debris over Egypt from 800 miles away.

Thirdly, you have to scientifically prove that each of the plagues are directly related to that explosion.

What is interesting is that when the vulcano erupted just lately spewing ash over parts of Europe no one saw lice on everyone or frogs everywhere or blood in the rivers or firstborn of animals and humans killed etc. etc. etc. Care to try your fanciful wishful thinking again? I wasn't born yesterday.

*sigh*

And your scientific proof that sticks turned into snakes, that a sea parted and that every firstborn child of Egypt died is....???

Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,899,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
HUH A persons genes don't change based on their behavior.

Right, I read fiction for entertainment, but for the real world I base decisions on reality.
Sin is not just a behavior it is a disease which permiates even the genes of everything.

No one knows all of reality just the small portion our minds can comprehend and even then only a small portion.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,899,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, I am well aware that a good deal of the taboo of cousins was based in ignorance, but if every person on the planet started from the very very shallow gene pool of Noah and family, even if the sons had wives from different gene pools, it would leave a very very shallow gene pool, which is completely counter to the possibilities of all the different races that exist.

The diversity of DNA that exists proves this fable, just that a fable.

And ALL the species that exist would have a very very common DNA sequence, as even though there were half a dozen humans, there were only 2 of every other species.

In the light of DNA evidence, the fable holds no water.
Do you realize that our knowledge of DNA is very limited and rather new and constantly changing?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:

*sigh*

And your scientific proof that sticks turned into snakes, that a sea parted and that every firstborn child of Egypt died is....???
And your scientific proof that sticks cannot turn into snakes or that a sea was not parted and that every firstborn child of Egypt did not die is . . . ???

By the way, not every firstborn male of animal and human did not die in Egypt. Only the Egyptian's firstborn human and animals died.

Last edited by Eusebius; 01-17-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Sin is not just a behavior it is a disease which permiates even the genes of everything.
Stop the presses, I'm pretty sure the CDC is not aware of this and perhaps you need to publish your 'theory' in JAMA.

ow ow ow my head hurts

Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,296,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Do you realize that our knowledge of DNA is very limited and rather new and constantly changing?
:

Here is info about DNA:

What is DNA? - Genetics Home Reference

DNA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is neither is limited or new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity