U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,203 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Reputation: 10089

Advertisements

Answering the OP...

1 John 5:11-12 - And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. The one who has the Son has this eternal life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have this eternal life.

This indicates that possession of the Son is necessary for eternal life. He must dwell in you. You must be one with Him.

Do you agree with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2011, 07:38 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,683,225 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Answering the OP...

1 John 5:11-12 - And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. The one who has the Son has this eternal life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have this eternal life.

This indicates that possession of the Son is necessary for eternal life. He must dwell in you. You must be one with Him.

Do you agree with this?
Jesus Christ is the only way, yes I do believe that.

I would assume you do not believe that a belief in eternal torment is a requirement for salvation, am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,203 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Reputation: 10089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Jesus Christ is the only way, yes I do believe that.

I would assume you do not believe that a belief in eternal torment is a requirement for salvation, am I correct?
OK - but I am focusing on the possession aspect - not solely belief, but possession. Are you OK with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,683,225 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
OK - but I am focusing on the possession aspect - not solely belief, but possession. Are you OK with that?
Yes, love must possess ones heart before it can do someone any true good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,203 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Reputation: 10089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Yes, love must possess ones heart before it can do someone any true good.
You are still not getting it. Let me try this. Here are a couple of verses.

When Jesus was baptized in water by John, the Spirit came upon Him. The Spirit and Jesus dwelt together and were one.

John 14:15-17 - "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

This is Jesus telling the disciples that the Holy Spirit is with them at that point in time, but will be IN them in their future. That happened in Acts 2:3-4. The Spirit came into them and filled them - and the Spirit is one with Christ.

Here's another verse:

Galatians 2:20 - "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

It's not love possessing the heart. It's Christ, through the Holy Spirit, being in the spirit of each believer.

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,683,225 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are still not getting it.

Just because I do not see it your way, does not mean I do not get it. I get it just fine, I spent 40 years in religion so I know all the phrases which most people expect rather than having a true understanding of spiritual things.

Will you say that if I do not see it your way I am not saved?

Christ is TRUE LOVE and that can possess someones heart without religious expectations having to be met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,109,662 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are still not getting it. Let me try this. Here are a couple of verses.

When Jesus was baptized in water by John, the Spirit came upon Him. The Spirit and Jesus dwelt together and were one.

John 14:15-17 - "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

This is Jesus telling the disciples that the Holy Spirit is with them at that point in time, but will be IN them in their future. That happened in Acts 2:3-4. The Spirit came into them and filled them - and the Spirit is one with Christ.

Here's another verse:

Galatians 2:20 - "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

It's not love possessing the heart. It's Christ, through the Holy Spirit, being in the spirit of each believer.

Does that make sense?
Yes; and which Spirit God will quicken in each person as He sees appropriate. No one can "command" God to do something. It's God Himself who rises in each of us, some now, some later, all in His time.

God revealed His Son in Paul. "But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood.." (Gal. 1: 15-17) God has also revealed His Son in me. When God chooses, we see the Son in us. But He must do so in His own time.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,203 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Reputation: 10089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Just because I do not see it your way, does not mean I do not get it. I get it just fine, I spent 40 years in religion so I know all the phrases which most people expect rather than having a true understanding of spiritual things.

Will you say that if I do not see it your way I am not saved?

Christ is TRUE LOVE and that can possess someones heart without religious expectations having to be met.
Your answer about love possessing the heart did not indicate to me whether or not you see things may way. I thought you were speaking objectively.

I did not offer any opinions or religious phrases - and its not about MY way, it's His way. That is straight Scripture. If the have the Son, you have the life. If you do not have the Son, you do not have the life. That's pretty clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,683,225 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Your answer about love possessing the heart did not indicate to me whether or not you see things may way. I thought you were speaking objectively.

I did not offer any opinions or religious phrases - and its not about MY way, it's His way. That is straight Scripture. If the have the Son, you have the life. If you do not have the Son, you do not have the life. That's pretty clear.

What is having the Son of God in your heart anything other than True Love?

I am glad however that I can be saved if I do not see it exactly your way, what a relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,203 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Reputation: 10089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
What is having the Son of God in your heart anything other than True Love?

I am glad however that I can be saved if I do not see it exactly your way, what a relief.
Where are you getting "True Love" from? I don't recall it in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top