U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM

30,259 posts, read 20,007,605 times

Advertisements

God is on fire for me, is more my kind of my thinking, that he's given me all things that pertain to life and godliness, that "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?".

Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM

5,431 posts, read 4,668,528 times
I'll be the first to admit that the fear of hell sacred me straight; as the Holy Spirit was coming down on me, the thought of hell was just more than I could bear. While at times I would be tugged at my heart for Jesus, it was, however, the fear of hell that moved me out of sin. Once I was delivered, washed in the Lamb's blood, then the love of God took over.

Had it not been for the fear of hell, I would still be in my sin -- because it was my comfort zone; it's all I had ever known.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
I'll be the first to admit that the fear of hell sacred me straight; as the Holy Spirit was coming down on me, the thought of hell was just more than I could bear. While at times I would be tugged at my heart for Jesus, it was, however, the fear of hell that moved me out of sin. Once I was delivered, washed in the Lamb's blood, then the love of God took over.

Had it not been for the fear of hell, I would still be in my sin -- because it was my comfort zone; it's all I had ever known.
I admire your honesty to admit this, so your fear of hell drew you in, and then you was in, the love of God took over .Are you sure you are not mistaking the love of God taking over, for relief of escaping this eternal torment you feared. How did the love of God take over ? .

Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,384,001 times
Thanks for your answers, everybody. I really am trying to understand what would happen to people in the Church (Charismatic, especially, as they seem to have an unhealthy attachment to the images of satan/underworlds) if they figured out what "hell" is and who the "beast/adversary" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I have found that those who walk contrary to the Spirit of love within the diversity of mankind are cliquish in their beliefs; and tend to express their own hatred for anything that is different from themselves. Which only amounts to fear of the unknown.
Fear of the unknown is a biggie. The fear of death and darkness is a big problem within the Church (tickling in their subconscious somewhere, not noticeable to them most of the time), and I just want to know why or where this started, exactly. Christ came to get rid of this stuff in people's minds, didn't he?

I'd like to know what happened back there after the disciples left the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't really fit into this debate, but if there was no Hell I think I would still believe pretty much the same. I just think there is a Hell because it seems pretty inarguable to me from the Gospels and Church Tradition.

A part of me dislikes the idea of Hell as torment forever, but reading the Bible and the Popes I don't see how it's entirely avoidable. The idea of eternal separation from God, but not necessarily with any torment, does make sense to me though. Some people have made it clear to me they don't want to be with God, or with most people, after they die. So it seems like God would have to force them to want that and if God has to turn them into a completely different person than they might as well just be annihilated.
They don't want to be with God or they don't want anything to do with Religion? I think that's the issue for a lot of people. I don't really care what any pope thinks, and the Gospels say nothing about the "hell" that the Church speaks of, but I'm glad to hear that you would believe about the same.

(by the way, I like reading your posts, as they are always thoughtful, and most of the time, I agree with them )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This is a very good and provocative question. And, there are probably some who are frightened into 'religion' by a sense of guilt or 'fear' (perhaps of hell or satan). And rightfully, the 'lost' should fear these things, but that is not the 'Faith' that draws one unto Christ and the forgiveness, salvation and eternal life He offers by His Grace.

The confused world does not understand... what it does not understand! It believes that Christianity is only "another religion" .
Well, jghorton, the institutionalized church system really is just another religion. I believe the truth got left behind a long time ago, which is why the world can't see any darn difference in the church system and the rest of the world. In fact, many people are terribly sick and tired of the church and it's ways, and who could blame them?

And, no, the lost should not fear some underworld or Satan. They should fear the darkness that encroaches upon their souls when they give into their own ways. "Satan" is often themselves. If the lost understood who God really was, if they understood the light/love, many would naturally move out of the darkness, as it would seem sick, old, decrepit, and poisonous.

There are way too many out there who don't have a clue as to what the light is, and they will never know down here. All they see is Religion with a big stick, abusive parents, confusion, rules they can't seem to ever follow, wars, corrupt politicians who say they know God, corrupt religious leaders who say they know God, and on and on.

Many have given up. They don't believe in the light and they don't believe in a God who will rescue them and save them from their tormentors down here.

If you believe God (love) will torment them even further after they die because they never understood love (God), I have to vehemently disagree. I believe love never fails and love conquers all, just like the Bible says.

Faith, hope, and love, but the greatest of these is love, not faith.

I do appreciate you responding to this thread. I didn't want a one-sided conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
More people than you might think have a pure heart and without the threat of hell or the reward of heaven would still follow the same path.
I sure hope so. Thank you, AnywhereElse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'll be honest, I'm not "on fire" about it now. I don't attend services, I don't read the Bible, I don't stand on street corners and try to engage others in discussions about religion. I keep to myself, pretty much. If someone asks me questions, I will try to give them my best answer, as it applies to me personally, but explain that they may have a different experience.

Christianity for me is just a matter of convenience. Seek reward, while avoiding punishment. If I'm wrong, I've lost absolutely nothing.
I'm pretty much where you are, TKramer. I stay to myself and I no longer discuss religion with anybody (except on CD). But, somewhere inside, I still have hope that love exists and love wins, and I still have hope that Jesus really existed, that he was who he said he was, and that he is trying to lead this lost planet home.

Thank you for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
It wouldn't change a thing. Why would it?

I don't think about hell, or Satan; unless someone brings it up....I think about Jesus. He's much more interesting....
I'm glad to hear this. Unfortunately, every time something bad happens around this planet, many churches take this opportunity to shout about Satan and judgment. My focus was especially on the Charismatic-type churches that are flourishing around the globe with all of it's emphasis on demons/hell/possession and so on.

I really do wonder what would happen if these churches would stop shouting about this stuff and focus on the light, on love, on Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Define "on fire".

Does that mean actually working to live a Christ like life or going to church and acting like you are the most enthusiastic person on the face of the planet, or something else?
Yes, to the part in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I would want to retain a personal relationship with God be there hell or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
And that's something else I want to point out to mainstream Christianity - always rebuking and calling out and looking for the enemy...Who does scripture tell us to magnify?

I've heard it said that as long as we acknowledge darkness, we are keeping it close; if we turn and focus on Him who is light, the darkness has nowhere to settle. The battle is in the mind - why give the land away?
Thank you for this post, little elmer. Whatever dark thoughts our minds come up with, when our focus is on the pure, on the lovely, on the light----->>>the dark just can't stick around.

(and I do believe much of the darkness is in our minds, even though many of us are horrified that this may be the case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I don't think it would change anyone's relationship with God, it would only make it better and less fear-filled and anxious. There is always going to be a reverent fear of God, I mean after all, He is God. He is the one and only, our Creator and benefactor. Everything we are and have is because of Him.

That's just it, nothing about my relationship with God changed except that it got better. UR is an awesome belief and only enhances our relationship and life.

And praise His Holy Name that the rest will be up to HIM, because He has a plan for everyone of us, not a single soul will be lost forever.
Thanks for the uplifting post, Ilene.

Less fear-filled and anxious combined with the respect of the Creator is good stuff. That's all there is to it. There is absolutely no reason people should be scared stiff of their Father tormenting them for eternity. How terribly sad that the church tells people these things. We should respect (fear) the one who created us and this wild universe, yes, but he's asking for sons and daughters, not people who scared to death of him.

Quote:

Scgraham, should it be the fear of hell that set you straight or fear of the bad consequences of your behavior? Jail, broken relationships, death, depression, sickness, emptiness.......

Remember the prodigal son: His dad's open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I admire your honesty to admit this, so your fear of hell drew you in, and then you was in, the love of God took over .Are you sure you are not mistaking the love of God taking over, for relief of escaping this eternal torment you feared. How did the love of God take over ? .
I'd like to know this, as well.

(Thanks, pcamps, for responding to some of these posts.)

Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM

7,869 posts, read 6,677,880 times
After the second coming of Jesus Christ , satan and hell will be out of the equation for thousand years and everybody will be on fire for Lord Jesus ........ satan and his fallen angels and demons will be locked up and hell will be locked up for thousand years, after thousand years people will not know to much about hell unless Jesus gives them a clear vision .............. seems that you may think Christians are held up by hell and satan in their lives with Jesus, but that can be most farther from the truth as logic on ET goes beyond the natural mind , you should go a get saved and discover that truth of Jesus which is beyond the imagination .................

Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 PM

5,431 posts, read 4,668,528 times
I gave a straight response, but people seem to want to pick it apart: it was the fear of spending eternity in hell that turned me to God. I knew that one had to serve the Lord in holiness, or the alternative was hell. I did not have a belief problem, I had a submitting problem; and the fear of hell became such a reality to me as the Holy Spirit was convicting me that it moved me to repentance.

Sadly, many people don't believe in God's standard of holiness, so they don't fear the judgement of hell; these people are in really bad shape, though they may seem like fine upstanding people who attend church regularly.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,291,089 times
to the OP:

Depends on how bad one wants to live after this life.....I would guarantee all Christians would still be Christians.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
to the OP:

Depends on how bad one wants to live after this life.....I would guarantee all Christians would still be Christians.
Once saved always saved Ken ?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,384,001 times
Quote:
I gave a straight response, but people seem to want to pick it apart: it was the fear of spending eternity in hell that turned me to God. I knew that one had to serve the Lord in holiness, or the alternative was hell. I did not have a belief problem, I had a submitting problem; and the fear of hell became such a reality to me as the Holy Spirit was convicting me that it moved me to repentance.

Sadly, many people don't believe in God's standard of holiness, so they don't fear the judgement of hell; these people are in really bad shape, though they may seem like fine upstanding people who attend church regularly.
Scgraham, I understand what you're saying, but was it really the thought of being set on fire for eternity by Love that got you to understand Love?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,220,101 times
closed

see stick at top of Christianity forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity