U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,380,473 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what would happen around the world (especially in Charismatic churches) if people figured out there wasn't a pagan hell or a real single being called Satan running around trying to get people into hell?

This is a serious question.

Can any one of the ETers out there imagine such a thing? I really wouldn't mind an honest answer.

What would you do? How often would you go to church, read your Bible, talk to others about Christ, pray? Would your life change dramatically, or very little?

Please think about it a little.

UR folks: How did your life change because of your studying these matters?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 PM

17,697 posts, read 8,870,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
How did your life change because of your studying these matters?
I have found that those who walk contrary to the Spirit of love within the diversity of mankind are cliquish in their beliefs; and
tend to express their own hatred for anything that is different from themselves. Which only amounts to fear of the unknown.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
I don't really fit into this debate, but if there was no Hell I think I would still believe pretty much the same. I just think there is a Hell because it seems pretty inarguable to me from the Gospels and Church Tradition.

A part of me dislikes the idea of Hell as torment forever, but reading the Bible and the Popes I don't see how it's entirely avoidable. The idea of eternal separation from God, but not necessarily with any torment, does make sense to me though. Some people have made it clear to me they don't want to be with God, or with most people, after they die. So it seems like God would have to force them to want that and if God has to turn them into a completely different person than they might as well just be annihilated.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 AM

30,167 posts, read 19,971,676 times
If there's no fire of hell, there's no fired up christians.Their basis of belief and why they believe would take a huge blow.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 AM

8,239 posts, read 9,998,349 times
Default Nobody goes to heaven, because they fear hell.

Quote:
Just wondering what would happen around the world (especially in Charismatic churches) if people figured out there wasn't a pagan hell or a real single being called Satan running around trying to get people into hell?

Can any one of the ETers out there imagine such a thing? I really wouldn't mind an honest answer.

What would you do? How often would you go to church, read your Bible, talk to others about Christ, pray? Would your life change dramatically, or very little?

This is a very good and provocative question. And, there are probably some who are frightened into 'religion' by a sense of guilt or 'fear' (perhaps of hell or satan). And rightfully, the 'lost' should fear these things, but that is not the 'Faith' that draws one unto Christ and the forgiveness, salvation and eternal life He offers by His Grace.

The confused world does not understand... what it does not understand! It believes that Christianity is only "another religion" --- or a 'false pretense' that can be imitated. If they were right, they would also be right in their arrogant belief that 'god must be pretty small and weak, if that's all he requires to let people into heaven!'

But, they are wrong. And even if, as suggested in your post, their motives are fear and guilt, God sees and knows the heart (even better than we do!). He is seeking a personal relationship with all who willfully choose to trust and depend on Him for their lives. When that truly happens, a person doesn't simply "get religion." They are 'born again' by the power of God's indwelling Holy Spirit and become entirely new Spiritual Creations.

(Not everybody in church is 'saved', even though they seem to be 'acting' like everyone else there. "Religion" is man reaching out to God ... Jesus Christ is God reaching out to man. .... Satan and hell are only the alternative for those who refuse the love, grace, mercy and LIFE God offers in Jesus Christ).

Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,372,302 times
Quote:

Well, you didn't ask me about it from a Conditional Immortality perspective, but I will weigh in on this, if you don't mind.

I personally believe in the adversary Satan. I believe his job is to try us, test us, tempt us, and do his best to get us to fall. This can be people, or spirits. It isn't a contest for souls, but rather a war, hard fought, with much bloodshed. It is the struggle for power, absolute. Most having to do with our selfish self imposed power vs. submissive to Christ as the Power.

I also personally do not believe in the pagan myth of hell, as church teaches it. When you take a sincere look at the 'Lake of Fire', and then look at our planet,,,we reside in/on the LOF. It is Satan's domian, these worldly systems(kosmos). They are offered to all who would partake of it, even to Jesus as the ruler of them.

If, and I say IF Christians all over the world could see how we have been manipulated into a false sense of security, and unknowingly out of sheer ignorance have traded in our freedom IN Christ over to the rulers of this world,,,then more people would stand tall, humble only to their King, and bask in the Kingdom in which we reside.

Then, the world systems would change, just they have changed when revival has taken place throughout the centuries. Sadly though, we fall into the patterns of the world, and repeat the same mistakes over and over. Freedom to complacency. Complacency to security. Security to laziness. Laziness to unarmed knowledge. Unarmed knowledge to bondage. Bondage to crying out to God for deliverance and freedom. The same ol trap has been used since the very beginning.

Hell is where you are now. Satan is trying his best to keep you here.
Heaven is where you were called to. Christ is trying, even to His death, to bring you into the fold.

If we would only HEED the CALLING!

Of course, this is my opinion only. A little rant and rave.

Peace,

Tony

Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,680 times
If there were no satan and no hell then we would live in a perfect world. Our sin would not have us separated from God, therefore, we would each have a personal relationship with God.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
I can only speak for myself not others but I am not striving to live a Christian life because of "fear".

Old 01-14-2011, 06:06 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,068,763 times
I think that for the most part that it would change nothing. If today, you presented facts to me that there was absolutely no hell, no eternal damnation, I would continue to live as I live now, by the Golden Rule. I don't live my life based on a fear of hell or being converted by the devil but on doing the right thing, thus living by the Golden Rule. If there is no heaven, no eternal reward, I would have the same answer. More people than you might think have a pure heart and without the threat of hell or the reward of heaven would still follow the same path.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
I'll be honest, I'm not "on fire" about it now. I don't attend services, I don't read the Bible, I don't stand on street corners and try to engage others in discussions about religion. I keep to myself, pretty much. If someone asks me questions, I will try to give them my best answer, as it applies to me personally, but explain that they may have a different experience.

Christianity for me is just a matter of convenience. Seek reward, while avoiding punishment. If I'm wrong, I've lost absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity