Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I obviously haven't repented from my sins?? I probably repent every single day of my life. Tell me what is the point of a universalist repenting if we are all going to be saved? Nothing. I can do whatever I want and be saved right?!
First of all God is tolerant and patient with us all as he leads us to repentance by his goodness.
Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance? Romans 2:4

Why would you not repent when you come to know him who is life and know that the life we knew prior to knowing him wasn't life at all.
Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. John 17:3.

Faith as nothing to do with quitting sin, it's about knowing him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
I obviously haven't repented from my sins?? I probably repent every single day of my life. Tell me what is the point of a universalist repenting if we are all going to be saved? Nothing. I can do whatever I want and be saved right?!
If you are repenting everyday of your life - then are you really repenting? I'm just trying to understand what you are saying here.

If you do a sin yesterday, then repent of it, then do the exact same sin again today, and repent of it again, did you really repent yesterday?
No. Repent means to change and not do that sin again.
If you do the same sin again tomorrow, did you really repent today?

Now the point of repenting is that sin has consequences. Sin is wrong. And if we do sin, we will reap what we sow. So that is the point of repenting, regardless of what you believe.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:

Allen, why would anybody want to go back into the dark/chaos/pain after they found light/love/healing/joy/ecstasy?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:30 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Agreed: might does not mean "maybe/maybe not" but that it is an intent - it will happen.

1 Tim 1:16
But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
Thanks, legoman!
The word "might" is often used in the fulfillment of prophesy. "..that the scripture might be fulfilled..." (see Matt. 1.22; 2.15; 2.23; 4.14; 8.17; 12.17; 13.35; 21.4, etc......)

"But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved." John 5.34
-----Jesus knew what to do in order for mankind to be saved!

"The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe." John 1.7 -----Did God's plan to use John the Baptist fail??

"And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind." John 9.39 ----Did what Jesus say happen?

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10.10 --------Did Jesus reach His objective here?? I think so!!

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again." ------Did Jesus take His life up again?? YEP!

Comments? Am I missing something?

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Universalism teaches that you can sin all you want and when you die, come into the kingdom of Heaven. This is nothing short of a lie.
You are right it IS a lie ABOUT Christian Universalism. That is NOT remotely what we believe!!! It is a lie deliberately spread by the power and money hungry mainstream ET churches to discredit UR.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:54 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Hi everyone!
This is becoming one of my favorite threads, simply because it talks about a word which has several meanings, but is always used in an "implied" way. I was always taught, for example, to believe that John 3.17: "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." implied that there was a possibility of being saved. In other words, Jesus did what He could, the rest is up to mankind.
But as we have seen in earlier posts, the word might does not usually mean "a possibility" but "with the aim/purpose of." Jesus came with a purpose of saving the world.

So let's move forward on this strange word, "might:"

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16.33
If you know the Prince of Peace within you, then you have true peace friend, no doubt about it!

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Cor. 5.21

Jesus, the sinless Son (or perfect Adam) became sin for us (all humanity).
By becoming sin, what happened to us?
We became the righteousness of God in him.

Now there are times where might does signify "with the hope of," such as here: " For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me." 2 Cor. 12.8
It is a usage which is less common, however.

Verses like "Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father.." (Gal. 1.4) tell us that there was a will or desire of God to do or achieve something through His Son. God had a purpose for manifesting His Son to the world. And even though the world "knew Him not," (John 1.10) His mission and purpose was fulfilled. In fact, man has never been able to thwart the plans of God.

Are we stronger than God?
Who has resisted His will?

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
The "might" in Greek is "ginomai" and is in the subjunctive mood. This mood shows contingency. Here is an explanation of the subjunctive mood:

"The subjunctive mood calls attention to the contingent (i.e., dependent) nature of what is being affirmed. It speaks of the connection which obtains between what is affirmed and that upon which the affirmation depends for its fulfillment." (James R. Coram, ConcordantPublishing.org)

In other words, suppose I have a pencil in my hand and I say I am going to loose my grip on this pencil that it MIGHT be falling. The falling of the pencil is contingent upon my loosing it. Should I loose my grip on it it will fall.

Thus "we MIGHT be made the righteousness of God in him due to or contingent upon God making Christ to be made sin for us.

Since God did make Christ to be made sin for us we will be made the righteousness of God.

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Cor. 5.21

This is similar to John 3:17

Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Since the saving of the world is dependent upon God sending His Son into the world we can rest assured that since God did send His Son into the world that therefore the world will be saved.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Unhappy ...yet another desperate attempt to twist God's Word...will it ever end...

This "might" be one of the most desperate...one of the most diametrically opposing (aka - serious chop job) threads I've had the most unfortunate opportunity to read in all my 3 years here. For heaven's sake, get a dictionary and read it...at least.

satan is so condescending and stupid!!!...an unsult to my intelligence!!!...get thee behind me!!!

might - Past tense of may.

may - Past might, present may archaic mayest. Use as an auxiliary followed by an infinitive without to, or, in reply to a question or suggestion, with the infinitive understood. It can indicate: 1. A requesting or granting of permission: May I take a swim? You may. See usage note at can. 2. Possibility: It may rain this afternoon. 3. Ability or capacity, with the force of can: If I may be of service. See usage note at can. 4. Obligation or function, with the force of must or shall, in statutes, deeds, and other legal documents: "Congress may determine the time of choosing the electors." (Constitution). 5. Desire or fervent wish. Used chiefly in exclamatory phrases: Long may he live! 6. Contingency, purpose, or result, in clauses untroduced by that or so that: expressing ideas so that the average man may understand. 7. Less abrupt or pointed questioning: How old may this little boy be? [Middle English may, past mighte, moghte, Old English maeg (first and third person singular), past mighte, moghte, infinitive magan, to be strong, be able, have permission.

Usage: May and might are basically alike in meaning, in the sense of possibility and permission: they differ principally, in intensity, not in time. (This is because, in modern usage, these words are treated as subjunctive verbs, each capable of expressing present and future time, although might is, grammatically, the past tense of may.) May is stronger than might in both senses: He may leave suggests greater liklihood than He might leave; and May I go? is more forceful than the less importunate Might I go? Might is also used to signify obligation, in statements containing a mild reproof: You might show some gratitude. In the past perfect, might sometimes signifies a condition opposed to fact: He might have succeeded, if he had tried harder.

can - Past tense could, present tense can or archaic canst (for second person singular). Used as an auxiliary, followed by an infinitive without to, or with the infinitive understood, to indicate: 1. Ability: I can meet you today. 2. Possession of a specified power, right or means: The President can veto congressional bills. 3. Possession of a specified capacity or skill: He can tune the harpsichord as well as play it. 4. Possible contingency: I wonder if she can be alive. 5. Informal. A requesting or granting p0ermission: Can I be excused? No, you cannot! See Usage note below. [Can, could; Middle English can, coude (also couthe), Old English can (also con), cuthe, first and third person present and past indicative of cunnan, to know how.

Usage: Can, in formal usage, is employed to indicate ability to do something, and may to express permission to do it. Those who need an additional day to prepare may have it. May I have an additional day?

i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e - U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e.

i-n-c-o-r-r-i-g-i-b-l-e - 1. Incapable of being corrected or reformed.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 01-15-2011 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
This "might" be one of the most desperate...one of the most diametrically opposing (aka - serious chop job) threads I've had the most unfortunate opportunity to read in all my 3 years here. For heaven's sake, get a dictionary and read it...at least.

satan is so condescending and stupid!!!...an unsult to my intelligence!!!...get thee behind me!!!

might - Past tense of may.

may - Past might, present may archaic mayest. Use as an auxiliary followed by an infinitive without to, or, in reply to a question or suggestion, with the infinitive understood. It can indicate: 1. A requesting or granting of permission: May I take a swim? You may. See usage note at can. 2. Possibility: It may rain this afternoon. 3. Ability or capacity, with the force of can: If I may be of service. See usage note at can. 4. Obligation or function, with the force of must or shall, in statutes, deeds, and otherlegal documents: "Congress may determine the time of choosing the electors." (Constitution). 5. Desire or fervent wish. Used chiefly in exclamatory phrases: Long may he live! 6. Contingency, purpose, or result, in clauses untroduced by that or so that: expressing ideas so that the average man may understand. 7. Less abrupt or pointed questioning: How old may this little boy be? [Middle English may, past mighte, moghte, Old English maeg (first and third person singular), past mighte, moghte, infinitive magan, to be strong, be able, have permission.

Usage: May and might are basically alike in meaning, in the sense of possibility and permission: they differ principally, in intensity, not in time. (This is because, in modern usage, these words are treated as subjunctive verbs, each capable of expressing present and future time, although might is, grammatically, the past tense of may.) May is stronger than might in both senses: He may leave suggests greater liklihood than He might leave; and May I go? is more forceful than the less importunate Might I go? Might is also used to signify obligation, in statements containing a mild reproof: You might show some gratitude. In the past perfect, might sometimes signifies a condition opposed to fact: He might have succeeded, if he had tried harder.

can - Past tense could, present tense can or archaic canst (for second person singular). Used as an auxiliary, followed by an infinitive without to, or with the infinitive understood, to indicate: 1. Ability: I can meet you today. 2. Possession of a specified power, right or means: The President can veto congressional bills. 3. Possession of a specified capacity or skill: He can tune the harpsichord as well as play it. 4. Possible contingency: I wonder if she can be alive. 5. Informal. A requesting or granting p0ermission: Can I be excused? No, you cannot! See Usage note below. [Can, could; Middle English can, coude (also couthe), Old English can (also con), cuthe, first and third person present and past indicative of cunnan, to know how.

Usage: Can, in formal usage, is employed to indicate ability to do something, and may to express permission to do it. Those who need an additional day to prepare may have it. May I have an additional day?

i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e - U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e.

i-n-c-o-r-r-i-g-i-b-l-e - 1. Incapable of being corrected or reformed.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.
.......................................... Amen, it is getting pretty bad isn't it !!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:59 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
.......................................... Amen, it is getting pretty bad isn't it !!
Yep...without a doubt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity