U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,304,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It still becomes the fact that no matter how sugar coated or cute the the abstract ... this is still the absolute truth God was pleased to save those who believe.

1 Corinthians 1:21
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
Hbr 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
The quote is referring to the Atonement, offered once, for all, which Jesus did "all the Pleasure of", to bring men to God by His Atonement's finished work -by which He would bring to God the Father, whosoever will, that is.

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times [the things] that are not [yet] done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Luk 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Eph 1:5
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Enoch 39:9 In those days I praised and extolled the name of the Lord of Spirits with blessings and praises, because He hath destined me for blessing and glory according to the good pleasure of the Lord of Spirits.

[For In His Name They Are Saved =New Birth of Spirit]

Enoch 48:
For in his name they are saved,
And according to his good pleasure hath it been in regard to their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it pleases God, and angels rejoice when a sinner repents.

Luke 15:10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents
Yep. The angels shout and party when a sinner repents and is saved =born again.
They had quite a shouting party when I yielded my will to the LORD that day. My Granddaddy Smith, who had long years before tried to gently witness to this little heathen, and who had been in heaven since I was 13 years old, asked with joyful expectancy what all the shouting was about when he saw my guardian angels overcome with joy and shouting and kicking up their heels, so to speak.
When they could contain their joy long enough to speak to him to tell him that his wayward t..... had repented and was saved, he joined the party -and I doubt the party is over yet, as time in heaven is not like on earth!

Its Shoutin Time In Heaven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGgaqKo98VU

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 01-15-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM

58,469 posts, read 31,862,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
When Jesus was preaching the Gospel, the main body of the Pharisees did not want anyone to be saved, and they refused to be saved themselves, because they liked their religion without relationship, and without repenting of their sins, as we saw in the two men who went into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a Publican, when the Pharisee praised himself to God, and was not justified by God; and the Publican humbled himself before the LORD God, was repentant of his sins, and was justified.
Indeed, the pharisees did not want anyone saved and they went to great lengths to keep people away from salvation. I suppose they felt that it would undermine their own position as the link between God and the people. That motivated them to act against the will of God, but I am sure there are other reasons like some people do not want others to have what they don't have.

I remember when I was a young sinner, and addicted to cigarettes. One day my friend quit smoking, and strangely I was not happy about it and I found myself wanting him to pick up the habit again. It may be hard to understand, but I wanted him to share the same problem that I had, and I was not happy that he was 'cured' and I was not. I could have quit too, but I didn't want to. I suppose the same mentality can apply to salvation. When a friend is saved, the unsaved one might try to tempt him back into habitual sin, because he is jealous of the change in his friend. He could pray for salvation too, but maybe he simply does not want such change. Some people resist and reject God's calling for years. I know I did, but eventually I prayed for Crhist to same me, and He did.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,585,178 times
Initially saved - Believe in your heart with repentance.

Make it to Heaven - Obey teachings of Christ. For example, Christ said that if you even look at a woman with lust in your eye to gouge it out. It's better to enter Heaven with no eyes than to be thrown into... with two eyes. This is a concrete stern warning to all "believers". Of course it's not our eyes that cause us to sin but it's the lack of Holy Spirit. Christ said to them in the garden... "cant you pray with me for one hour, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." If you don't seek God like this with all your heart your in serious danger. He said it, not me.

But my understanding of the OP is the initial saving of a soul.

Two different things.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM

58,469 posts, read 31,862,344 times
Quote:
Yep. The angels shout and party when a sinner repents and is saved =born again.
They had quite a shouting party when I yielded my will to the LORD that day. My Granddaddy Smith, who had long years before tried to gently witness to this little heathen, and who had been in heaven since I was 13 years old, asked with joyful expectancy what all the shouting was about when he saw my guardian angels overcome with joy and shouting and kicking up their heels, so to speak.
When they could contain their joy long enough to speak to him to tell him that his wayward t..... had repented and was saved, he joined the party -and I doubt the party is over yet, as time in heaven is not like on earth!
The party will continue until one day you sail into the harbor of heaven and meet them in person. Actually, the party will continue even after that, only then you'll be a part of it.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM

30,157 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Quote:
Well, there are many reasons that different sorts of men do not want men to call on the name of the LORD to be saved, not saying here, but "just sayin'" that one for instance was the self righteous hypocrisy of the Pharisees, seen in the Word, in Matt 23:13
Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in [yourselves], neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Christianity as done this by presenting the non believer with every way under the sun to come, one of the latest ways i have heard on another thread is anticipating Christ. The contradictory gospel that the nonbeliever see's right through.

Hypocrisy

Old 01-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
The party will continue until one day you sail into the harbor of heaven and meet them in person. Actually, the party will continue even after that, only then you'll be a part of it.
I added "Shoutin Time in Heaven", sung by the Hoppers, to my thread -enjoy!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Initially saved - Believe in your heart with repentance.

Make it to Heaven - Obey teachings of Christ. For example, Christ said that if you even look at a woman with lust in your eye to gouge it out. It's better to enter Heaven with no eyes than to be thrown into... with two eyes. This is a concrete stern warning to all "believers". Of course it's not our eyes that cause us to sin but it's the lack of Holy Spirit. Christ said to them in the garden... "cant you pray with me for one hour, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." If you don't seek God like this with all your heart your in serious danger. He said it, not me.

But my understanding of the OP is the initial saving of a soul.

Two different things.
But the New Man does not need to pluck out an eye, cut off a hand, or any such thing, because the New Man has a new heart of flesh -to come- by the regeneration of the Spirit of Christ within them, and the New Man does not dwell in/abide in sin, habitually. Though a person born again in Christ may stumble in their old man Adam nature, they get right back up and walk on, in the Name of the New Man.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:53 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,039,494 times
Quote:
But the New Man does not need to pluck out an eye, cut off a hand, or any such thing, because the New Man has a new heart of flesh -to come- by the regeneration of the Spirit of Christ within them, and the New Man does not dwell in/abide in sin, habitually. Though a person born again in Christ may stumble in their old man Adam nature, they get right back up and walk on, in the Name of the New Man.
Amen...

Psalm 145:14
The LORD sustains all who fall and raises up all who are bowed down.

Many children of God, who have been ready to fall into sin, to fall into despair, have tasted his goodness in preventing their falls, or recovering them speedily by his graces and comforts.

And with respect to all that are heavy laden under the burden of sin, if they come to Christ by faith, He will ease them, He will raise them. He is very ready to hear and answer the prayers of his people.
He is present every where; but in a special way He is nigh to them, as He is not to others. He is in their hearts, and dwells there by faith, and they dwell in Him.
He is nigh to those that call upon Him, to help them in all times of need. He will be nigh to them, that they may have what they ask, and find what they seek, if they call upon him in truth and sincerity.

And having taught men to love His name and holy ways, He will save them from the destruction of the wicked. May we then love His name, and walk in His ways, while we desire that all flesh should bless His holy name for ever and ever.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,039,494 times
Quote:
I can't help but wonder what motivates people to tell others there is no reason whatsoever to pray for Christ to save them?
I don't either..... sad though and breaks my heart !!

Mark 10:13-15
13. And they were bringing children to Him so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them.
14. But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, "Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
15. "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."

Saying a prayer by asking the Lord to forgive our sin and to come in and be Lord of our life, heart, I consider it as a prayer of faith like a child !
And that it is wrong telling people to pray this child like prayer because it not in the word of God in those exact words, well I see this kind of thing as hindering people from coming to Christ.... and we know through the scripture above that Christ became indignant and He continue to tells us that whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.... amen !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or