U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:12 AM
 
2,526 posts, read 2,315,674 times
Reputation: 327

Advertisements

Paul (in the Spirit) tells us:

Rom 12:1 I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

What better way to do this than through prayer, with your heart on the altar, calling upon the Lord? Ask Jesus to take it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,255 posts, read 20,007,605 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Question: How do you ask Jesus to come into your heart to be your Savior ?

Answer: HELP!

At least that is somewhat scriptual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,260,032 times
Reputation: 194
Is this just about semantics? In prayer, I have dedicated myself to God, but I personally do not say, "I asked God to come 'into my heart'". When my Southern Baptists friends say this to me, I've always wondered what exactly they meant...but figured it was just semantics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,255 posts, read 20,007,605 times
Reputation: 2109
I would encourage all to read the links herefornow posted on post #16.

Just for the record i am not questioning anyone's salvation in any way shape or form, like i was accused of doing so earlier in the thread. I am rejecting the notion that the sinners prayer is scriptual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,047,457 times
Reputation: 17783
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Paul (in the Spirit) tells us:

Rom 12:1 I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

What better way to do this than through prayer, with your heart on the altar, calling upon the Lord? Ask Jesus to take it all!
Amen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,823,424 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest".

Rom 10:13 for every one--whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, he shall be saved.'

John 5:40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life

Yes, indeed, many refuse to come to Christ, but those who call upon the name of the Lord are SAVED.

Why is it important to you to persuade people to NOT call to Christ?
The rabidness of UR theology that accuses God of having it both ways...God brings people to faith by his pleasure while holding people accountable for rejecting.


\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

With that said, not all come to Jesus for angelic reasons.

Some come to trap him in his words Matthew 22:18
Some come to have a miracle preformed to prove himself John 2:18
Some come for Jesus, don't like what they see and beg him to leave Matthew 8:34
Some come to be "obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way" Acts 19:9
Some come to for answers they want to hear..not for answers they need to hear Matthew 19:22

Today is no different.
UR theology is rabid to trap Jesus in his words... forcing "all" into believing, into heaven
UR theology demands proof
UR theology don't like what it reads "see"
UR theology is "obstinate; [it] refuses to believe and publicly maligne[s] the Way" that God requires
UR theology looks for answers it's wants to hear ... not what unbelievers need to hear for salvation

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Jesus doesn't come to those who seek him in the same way.

Jesus came on behalf of concerned friends
Jesus came during weddings
Jesus came during grief
Jesus came time of sickness
Jesus came during time of physical hunger
Jesus came when the conscience bothers
Jesus came when we are desperate (sinking like Peter)


We chose Jesus by stop blaspheming the Holy Spirit
We chose Jesus by stop rejecting him
We chose Jesus by "making every effort to 'hear' him"

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-15-2011 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: missed paragraph of thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,527 posts, read 31,926,753 times
Reputation: 9413
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Finn there was a time when you refused to come and there was a time when i refused too.
There was a time when I refused, and then what happened? Then I opened up my heart and accepted Christ.

You didn't answer my question: why do you find it necessary to persuade people to NOT reach out to God? When God calls, you should stop refusing, and accept Him. There are millions who resist the calling, and your teaching does nothing but encourage them to keep resisting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 AM
 
2,526 posts, read 2,315,674 times
Reputation: 327
I think what traditional Christian thought on the sinner's prayer is all about is making the objective fact of "your salvation" a subjective reality. Paul tell us that here:

Eph 1:13 in whom ye also, having heard the word of the truth--the good news of your salvation--in whom also having believed, ye were sealed with the Holy Spirit of the promise,

One sign of this belief, or making it a subjective reality, is to call on the Lord. Jesus sees the heart already, and knows whether we believe or not. But because our faith is weak, and because "our salvation" is to be a reality and that we are to know that we've been sealed with His Spirit, we call on the Lord to make it so.

Do it my friends, make it so! Tell Jesus to seal you with His Spirit. Do it today! Better yet, Do It Now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,255 posts, read 20,007,605 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There was a time when I refused, and then what happened? Then I opened up my heart and accepted Christ.

You didn't answer my question: why do you find it necessary to persuade people to NOT reach out to God? When God calls, you should stop refusing, and accept Him. There are millions who resist the calling, and your teaching does nothing but encourage them to keep resisting.
No finn you were blind like the rest of us and God opened your heart, there is no scriptual way around this fact. You never would have recognized who Jesus was unless God opened your eyes.

Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. John 9:41
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,756,061 times
Reputation: 58198
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Paul (in the Spirit) tells us:

Rom 12:1 I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

What better way to do this than through prayer, with your heart on the altar, calling upon the Lord? Ask Jesus to take it all!
Exactly!! I don't get what the problem is with the "sinnner's prayer".....it's a first step, it's public (or private) acknowledgment through prayer that one is seeking the knowledge of the Lord and it works!!

Romans 10:10
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top