U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,038,325 times
Reputation: 17783

Advertisements

How do you dedicate a portion of your day to meeting with your Friend.

Scripture Of The Day: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” - James 4:8

Many of us have been blessed with close friends. Imagine if we never spent time with them but instead just thought and talked about how wonderful these special people are. Wouldn’t such behavior be foolish? Yet some Christians do just that.
Despite accumulating vast knowledge about God and the Bible, they miss out on rich fellowship with the Father, the best friend anyone could ever have.
It is possible to fill our lives with spiritual information and activities—all of which are good—but fail to develop a close relationship with the Lord. Take a quick inventory to see if this might be true of you: Do you attend church only out of a sense of duty? Do you pray with lofty or repetitive words rather than speaking to God from the heart? Do you serve solely out of obligation?

In Scripture, we read about many people whose personal encounter with the Lord was energizing and life-changing. Abraham, Gideon, Moses, and Paul were just a few who spoke with Him one-on-one (Genesis 7:4; Judges 6:12, 14; Exodus 3:2; Acts 9:3-6). We probably don’t expect dramatic “burning bush” experiences today, yet all believers should still have precious, intimate times with God.

Whenever we open His Word and invite the Holy Spirit to illuminate its meaning, we can hear directly from our heavenly Father.
The Bible tells us, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8). Walking closely with the Lord takes commitment and time.

Amen


To Show His love, Jesus died for me;
to show my love, I must live for Him !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 AM
 
20,291 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
How do you dedicate a portion of your day to meeting with your Friend.

Scripture Of The Day: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” - James 4:8

Many of us have been blessed with close friends. Imagine if we never spent time with them but instead just thought and talked about how wonderful these special people are. Wouldn’t such behavior be foolish? Yet some Christians do just that.
Despite accumulating vast knowledge about God and the Bible, they miss out on rich fellowship with the Father, the best friend anyone could ever have.
It is possible to fill our lives with spiritual information and activities—all of which are good—but fail to develop a close relationship with the Lord. Take a quick inventory to see if this might be true of you: Do you attend church only out of a sense of duty? Do you pray with lofty or repetitive words rather than speaking to God from the heart? Do you serve solely out of obligation?

In Scripture, we read about many people whose personal encounter with the Lord was energizing and life-changing. Abraham, Gideon, Moses, and Paul were just a few who spoke with Him one-on-one (Genesis 7:4; Judges 6:12, 14; Exodus 3:2; Acts 9:3-6). We probably don’t expect dramatic “burning bush” experiences today, yet all believers should still have precious, intimate times with God.

Whenever we open His Word and invite the Holy Spirit to illuminate its meaning, we can hear directly from our heavenly Father.
The Bible tells us, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8). Walking closely with the Lord takes commitment and time.

Amen


To Show His love, Jesus died for me;
to show my love, I must live for Him !
Nice post Cyber Munchkin! God desires a reciprocal love relationship with us, and our personal love toward God grows through time spend daily in His Word under the filling of the Holy Spirit, applying His word to our lives, clinging to His promises, and by doing so, putting the Lord first throughout each and every day of our lives.

Last edited by Mike555; 01-15-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 PM
 
7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
Reputation: 1371
God only talk to those believers who talk to him , if you don`t spend the time and talk to God than he will never talk to you..... One way being said already is study the Word of God for sincere truth and pray for understanding into HIS Word , Write down the Words and study Gods Word and seek the truth into God character and the truth into HIS promises and you will hear from God...... The only way to stay into truth is to stay clean of the message of the adversary, who will come immediately and try to take the Word of God that you have heard away from you.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,107,186 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God only talk to those believers who talk to him , if you don`t spend the time and talk to God than he will never talk to you..... One way being said already is study the Word of God for sincere truth and pray for understanding into HIS Word , Write down the Words and study Gods Word and seek the truth into God character and the truth into HIS promises and you will hear from God...... The only way to stay into truth is to stay clean of the message of the adversary, who will come immediately and try to take the Word of God that you have heard away from you.......
Hi hljc,
I disagree; God talks with whomever He wants. It's His call, not ours. (See Acts 9, "road to Damascus")

God is the Savior. His job description is "to save people." And He is still working, and will work until the 100th sheep and lamb is brought back into the fold. (aisi...)

Blessings in His Name,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
823 posts, read 1,080,838 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi hljc,
I disagree; God talks with whomever He wants. It's His call, not ours. (See Acts 9, "road to Damascus")

God is the Savior. His job description is "to save people." And He is still working, and will work until the 100th sheep and lamb is brought back into the fold. (aisi...)

Blessings in His Name,
brian
I agree with Brian. Sometimes it is when we are in our darkest hour as a non believer that we find him and he never turns away from us.

A non believer may ask: ‘If there’s a God, please help me find my way to a better place.’ Many of us need to come to a difficult place in life before trying the experiment of praying from our heart for God’s Love, protection, and guidance. And when the crisis has passed, our experience is often chalked up to ‘coincidence’ or ‘luck’ or ‘self-deception’, even if we had, indeed, felt blessed or helped in some mystical way. When you reach out in desperation for help and protection, you open your soul -- even if just a crack -- and some Grace enters, changing something inside. When God’s Substance of Divine Love takes lodgment in your soul, it multiplies like leaven in dough, thereby increasing the Love that you have acquired through seeking help from outside yourself.

Getting back to the OP: I take snippets of time throughout my day but I feel I am closest to him when I rest my head on my pillow at night and I clear my head of all other noise and I can connect with him..... sometimes it is only a few minutes that pass before I fall into sleep but those minutes are awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
 
37,473 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Reputation: 5851
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Getting back to the OP: I take snippets of time throughout my day but I feel I am closest to him when I rest my head on my pillow at night and I clear my head of all other noise and I can connect with him..... sometimes it is only a few minutes that pass before I fall into sleep but those minutes are awesome!
That is great, Kat . . . try to do the same when awakening. The twilight stage of sleep just before dozing off or just before completely awakening are altered states that can put your conscious mind in touch with God while you remain in control without interference from your unconscious . . . unlike the dream state which is dominated by our unconscious. If you learn the discipline to enter these altered states in meditation under conscious control . . . it is possible to reach the deepest state where the contact with God is as direct as is possible in this level of becoming. Unfortunately, this is not easy or fast . . . at least it wasn't for me (18+ years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
823 posts, read 1,080,838 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is great, Kat . . . try to do the same when awakening. The twilight stage of sleep just before dozing off or just before completely awakening are altered states that can put your conscious mind in touch with God while you remain in control without interference from your unconscious . . . unlike the dream state which is dominated by our unconscious. If you learn the discipline to enter these altered states in meditation under conscious control . . . it is possible to reach the deepest state where the contact with God is as direct as is possible in this level of becoming. Unfortunately, this is not easy or fast . . . at least it wasn't for me (18+ years).
When awakening.... I guess that could work since I am one of those that hits the "snooze" button a gazillion tiemes

As a matter of fact, pre children I used to belong to a prayer group and we would put on soft music and say heavenly prayers and I used to really get into the groove and feel god's love. My home still isn't quiet enough to find a cozy place to meditate but perhaps I should look for a similar group once again. Thanks for planting that seed Mystic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Southern California
1,839 posts, read 1,711,714 times
Reputation: 212
I talk to God whenever I feel like it, all throughout the day. I do this with my thoughts and He speaks to me in the same way. When I ask Him to fill me up with His Love, it comes flowing into my soul right away, so I know that He's not only hearing me, He is responding to my soul longings. One way to get closer to Him, is just to tell Him you love Him. He loves hearing this and, frankly, I love telling Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
1,542 posts, read 1,017,303 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;17422346
How do you dedicate a portion of your day to meeting with your Friend.

Scripture Of The Day: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” - James 4:8

Many of us have been blessed with close friends. Imagine if we never spent time with them but instead just thought and talked about how wonderful these special people are. Wouldn’t such behavior be foolish? Yet some Christians do just that.
Despite accumulating vast knowledge about God and the Bible, they miss out on rich fellowship with the Father, the best friend anyone could ever have.
It is possible to fill our lives with spiritual information and activities—all of which are good—but fail to develop a close relationship with the Lord. Take a quick inventory to see if this might be true of you: Do you attend church only out of a sense of duty? Do you pray with lofty or repetitive words rather than speaking to God from the heart? Do you serve solely out of obligation?

In Scripture, we read about many people whose personal encounter with the Lord was energizing and life-changing. Abraham, Gideon, Moses, and Paul were just a few who spoke with Him one-on-one (Genesis 7:4; Judges 6:12, 14; Exodus 3:2; Acts 9:3-6). We probably don’t expect dramatic “burning bush” experiences today, yet all believers should still have precious, intimate times with God.

Whenever we open His Word and invite the Holy Spirit to illuminate its meaning, we can hear directly from our heavenly Father.
The Bible tells us, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8). Walking closely with the Lord takes commitment and time.

Amen


To Show His love, Jesus died for me;
to show my love, I must live for Him !
I just came upon your excellent thread starter today.

We are promised eternal life iff we keep the sayings of our Lord, and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit UNTIL WE DIE [which the apostles said in Acts 5:32 that God gives to those WHO OBEY HIM]

Best wishes to all who desire to know the will of God and DO them,
Bob Prince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 PM
 
4,221 posts, read 1,962,669 times
Reputation: 220
"The man who keeps my word is the man who loves and my Father will love him and we will come and dwell within him."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top