U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,717,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't have a need to debate anything. I have my views, other people have their views, and there's room for all of them.

A thousand people, a thousand different views.
I don't disagree with you. I expect that, but I And used to think that the SAME holy spirit/god used to teach all Christians the same thing. I thought he led them in "all truth." If he cannot get his people to agree on some of the simplest things, what appeal is there to join the confusion?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 03:27 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,303,656 times
When all reality is subjective, perhaps all truth is as well.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,586,752 times
Because we all don't build our foundation on the teachings of Christ. That's why. Alot of us are filled with tradition and the teachings of man, not studying for ourselves.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM

313 posts, read 374,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
As you guys know, I bum around this forum quite often and I have to admit, I am surprised a great deal by the wide ranging and sometimes contradictory positions amongst Christians. I say surprising not because of the usual Catholics Vs Protestants differences, but rather, about god, Jesus and the bible.

I guess a lot of my surprise comes from the fact that when I was a Christian, I was part of the fundamentalist crowd, one of those who often took the bible at face value. I now realize that not all Christians do that; some even outrightly rejecting an entire canon as nothing to take too serious or others who force back NT concepts/modern concepts into the OT to make it more palatable.

When I hear scholars say that early Christianity was one of many "Christianities" (with all the different opinions at the time), I see what they meant because nothing has changed after 2,000 years and with the flood of UR at ETers threads, folks are super passionate about their positions.
Some people are followers, others march to their own beat. Some people can accept things as issued to them, others challenge what may seem questionable. A lot of people don't feel that the Bible is cut 'n' dried and is open to interpretation.

Example: Many Christians don't believe in the Adam & Even theory as described in the Bible. I'm not saying they don't believe in Creationism. They realize that the sudden appearance of these two people about 10,000 years ago (if that) is likely very inaccurate. But "something" very BIG had to have occurred at that period to merit passing down thousands of years to make it into the written language. While I, myself, think Creationism and Evolution are both right (one needed the other), I believe something major occurred along the lines of the Adam and Eve theory. And I think it occurred longer ago than is suggested.

But I do believe that the Bible was meant to be. It's a historical piece and a manual to life.

I think you're reading more into the whole thing, I really do.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,717,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
Some people are followers, others march to their own beat. Some people can accept things as issued to them, others challenge what may seem questionable. A lot of people don't feel that the Bible is cut 'n' dried and is open to interpretation.

Example: Many Christians don't believe in the Adam & Even theory as described in the Bible. I'm not saying they don't believe in Creationism. They realize that the sudden appearance of these two people about 10,000 years ago (if that) is likely very inaccurate. But "something" very BIG had to have occurred at that period to merit passing down thousands of years to make it into the written language. While I, myself, think Creationism and Evolution are both right (one needed the other), I believe something major occurred along the lines of the Adam and Eve theory. And I think it occurred longer ago than is suggested.

But I do believe that the Bible was meant to be. It's a historical piece and a manual to life.

I think you're reading more into the whole thing, I really do.
I'm actually agreeing with you up to a point, but what 'more' am I reading into this? The proof or my argument can be found right here on this forum.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM

313 posts, read 374,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I'm actually agreeing with you up to a point, but what 'more' am I reading into this? The proof or my argument can be found right here on this forum.
Cool. Maybe I read more into your post, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or