U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,715,331 times

Advertisements

As you guys know, I bum around this forum quite often and I have to admit, I am surprised a great deal by the wide ranging and sometimes contradictory positions amongst Christians. I say surprising not because of the usual Catholics Vs Protestants differences, but rather, about god, Jesus and the bible.

I guess a lot of my surprise comes from the fact that when I was a Christian, I was part of the fundamentalist crowd, one of those who often took the bible at face value. I now realize that not all Christians do that; some even outrightly rejecting an entire canon as nothing to take too serious or others who force back NT concepts/modern concepts into the OT to make it more palatable.

When I hear scholars say that early Christianity was one of many "Christianities" (with all the different opinions at the time), I see what they meant because nothing has changed after 2,000 years and with the flood of UR at ETers threads, folks are super passionate about their positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM

30,221 posts, read 19,991,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
As you guys know, I bum around this forum quite often and I have to admit, I am surprised a great deal by the wide ranging and sometimes contradictory positions amongst Christians. I say surprising not because of the usual Catholics Vs Protestants differences, but rather, about god, Jesus and the bible.

I guess a lot of my surprise comes from the fact that when I was a Christian, I was part of the fundamentalist crowd, one of those who often took the bible at face value. I now realize that not all Christians do that; some even outrightly rejecting an entire canon as nothing to take too serious or others who force back NT concepts/modern concepts into the OT to make it more palatable.

When I hear scholars say that early Christianity was one of many "Christianities" (with all the different opinions at the time), I see what they meant because nothing has changed after 2,000 years and with the flood of UR at ETers threads, folks are super passionate about their positions.
Insane man has progressed in the natural world immensely in the last century through knowledge, the same thing has happened in the spiritual world too.The difference with the spiritual world is, what's being discovered there as always been there, we just lost sight of it.This why there is such a huge conflict going on between those who are open to the discovery of light lost and those who believe they have it all, already,in their bible.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:29 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,752,545 times
Well I'm hurt because one of my new found friends dumped me as soon as he found out I was Universalist. It's very hurtful to be a Universalist, what with the severe backlash from the other camp and the fact that we have now been restricted. I don't understand the hatred, especially since I used to be a fundamentalist ETer, but I NEVER exhibited the kind of pure hatred that I've felt since being a Universalist. I sincerely believe now that ET IS indeed the "great delusion" and it's been prevalent for centuries now and the only glimmer of hope that I've seen here on this forum is from SC122 and Thrillobyte....thank you guys for having the courage to speak up and out against what has been so ingrained in all of us. I don't know what else to say, I'm very sad.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 PM

13,465 posts, read 21,212,300 times
Many of my friends from the church I used to attend shun me by pretending not to know me since I left. My h still attends there so it has created a very difficult situation both here and on his side of the family. Each day,week, month and year that pass by have been a blessing in spiritual growth for me though since I am not within the restraints of doctrines, literalism, and rules. I am feeling more and more assured that I finally did exactly what He was telling me to do for many, many years.

I have many friends here who have helped me on this journey, difficult at times, but the lessons learned from them are priceless

Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,572,297 times
I think one of my favorite songs speaks to this topic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju3Ab...eature=related

Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,247,078 times
I look at people that are so superficial as to judge me on what I believe, or even what flavor of a belief system one follows unworthy of being my friend. And yes, as an Atheist this has occurred, and I feel blessed for their absence.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,569,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well I'm hurt because one of my new found friends dumped me as soon as he found out I was Universalist. It's very hurtful to be a Universalist, what with the severe backlash from the other camp and the fact that we have now been restricted. I don't understand the hatred, especially since I used to be a fundamentalist ETer, but I NEVER exhibited the kind of pure hatred that I've felt since being a Universalist. I sincerely believe now that ET IS indeed the "great delusion" and it's been prevalent for centuries now and the only glimmer of hope that I've seen here on this forum is from SC122 and Thrillobyte....thank you guys for having the courage to speak up and out against what has been so ingrained in all of us. I don't know what else to say, I'm very sad.
I feel your pain. It's a big step to step outside the norm. Ask Carlton Pearson (or me).

I will say though - MOST of my fundy friends still like me, but I cannot "minister" in any official capacity and my company has lost some business over it (UR belief).

The good news is: the times they are a changin' and the age of reason is helping many to jump off the fundy bus. Maybe one day the landing won't be so hard...

Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,223,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
thank you Ilene! ..and for thinking enough of me to mention me by name that means a lot to me.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 PM

21,421 posts, read 29,551,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

This does not surprise me at all, makes me sad, but does not surprise me.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,752,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I feel your pain. It's a big step to step outside the norm. Ask Carlton Pearson (or me).

I will say though - MOST of my fundy friends still like me, but I cannot "minister" in any official capacity and my company has lost some business over it (UR belief).

The good news is: the times they are a changin' and the age of reason is helping many to jump off the fundy bus. Maybe one day the landing won't be so hard...
I know FB, you've been dealing with this way longer than I have. Thank you for all your support and I hope you're right about the times changing and the age of reason....I would like to make the landing softer for those who have the guts to speak up and admit they are having doubts. Doubts lead to the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
thank you Ilene! ..and for thinking enough of me to mention me by name that menas a lot to me.
Your welcome SC, we have to stick together through all of this doubt and confusion and help each other, not bicker and fight about the minuscule stuff that really has no bearing on anything, especially salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or