U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times

Advertisements

It is not my place to force my beliefs on other people. If you want to witness, then witness to people who ASK you to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,565,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It is not my place to force my beliefs on other people. If you want to witness, then witness to people who ASK you to do so.
If someone thinks they are taking direct orders from God then what difference does it make who asks or who doesn't ask?

None.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
And I don't take orders...

Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM

478 posts, read 637,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"Preach the Gospel always --- and sometimes even use words." -- St. Francis of Assisi

Or, as we say today: Actions speak louder than words. People should see Jesus in you before they hear Jesus from you.
I agree TOTALLY with you Mark! To do nothing more than speak AT people (which is what you are doing if you haven't been specifically asked by them, to talk about god, jesus or any religious belief) is nothing less than self-serving.

To the OP/doesntspringtomind: you say you "witness" out of 'love', but where exactly is the love coming from- and to whom exactly receives this supposed 'love'? It seems to me, with regard to the topic of "witnessing" (which, as I understand it, is little more than cornering people or, more likely, talking AT people as they go by, who are trying to ignore such rants and do as they were already planning to do save from voluntary receptions such as forums like this), all you are doing is spouting YOUR own beliefs on people who didn't ask for them. And, since I know you are probably intelligent and have a modicum of logic and reason within you- why, why do you think is effective- nevermind OK or acceptable to preach and screech at people who haven't specifically asked for your opinion, with something so personal as faith and/or spirituality in any regard? You must know that NOBODY CARES what you think or preach. So, why waste your time- unless you are simply doing what you do for self satisfaction? And, bottom line, that is EXACTLY the core reason I believe most people who "witness" for. There simply isn't a logical reason otherwise...and just like Judge Judy says: "If it doesn't make sense, it isn't true". So please folks, STOP saying you preach at us or anyone 'because you love us' cos nobody is buying it. You want to "appear" right, and be righteous as per YOUR standards, you don't actually want to help, or love people. If you wanted to help people- you would be actually, physically doing that which is helping people and would not have time to preach. And with regard to the preaching: whether it's on a street corner with picket signs or just spouting off here, or anywhere- same thing. Ya ain't helping nobody feel better but yourself, sorry.

SO- why not act, do, HELP in a way that truly SHOWS god's work, as Mark S stated? BE your words, don't just yell them idly. Again, actions speak louder than words. And people pay mind to actions- they, however, ignore and literally laugh at the empty spoutings of hypocrites who don't put their money where their mouth is. DO as you wish others would do, BE the example you want others to follow. Stop and think for a moment, what would impress jesus? And do THAT. Then, you'll be doing something out of LOVE. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or