Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM

42 posts, read 64,678 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and I thought this would be a good question to start me off. I've been raised as a Non-denomination Christian. My family and I believe in God and truly accept Him as our creator. But some people don't understand what a Non-denomination Christian means. We don't go to church or have any religion. So some people think we are atheists since we don't belong to any congregation. But our family must be the strongest believer's in our Almighty God and don't think that to be a Christian, you need to go to church just to prove you are a believer. All you have to do is live life as God wanted you to, with love for Him, for yourself, and for your neighbors.

So my question is, what is your stand on Non-denomination Christians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory93 View Post
I'm new here and I thought this would be a good question to start me off. I've been raised as a Non-denomination Christian. My family and I believe in God and truly accept Him as our creator. But some people don't understand what a Non-denomination Christian means. We don't go to church or have any religion. So some people think we are atheists since we don't belong to any congregation. But our family must be the strongest believer's in our Almighty God and don't think that to be a Christian, you need to go to church just to prove you are a believer. All you have to do is live life as God wanted you to, with love for Him, for yourself, and for your neighbors.

Welcome Victory . . . followers of Christ's "Love God and each other" are Christians, period.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Welcome Victory . . . followers of Christ's "Love God and each other" are Christians, period.
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement Mystic. I'm young and making an effort to influence people my age that not all Christian's MUST belong to a congregation in order to prove that you are a true believer.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:

I am non-denomination Christian, and go to Baptist and non-denominational church. They are opening an AOG church nearby, and I will go check it out for sure. I do not go to church to prove anything to anyone but to worship, pray, study the Bible and simply be with fellow believers. However, there is no MUST. Some people choose to study the Bible and pray at home, but I find it rewarding to pray for others at church. We usually open with prayer requests and you'd be surprised what some people are going through, and it is a pleasure to be able to pray for them. Also, you can ask people to pray for you, and they will do so. It is a family, and family members love and help each other. It is amazing that you can actually feel the presence of the Holy Spirit when you walk into a spirit filled church.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-28-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:

Welcome to the forum victory.
You will find the answer to your question by exploring the minds of those who participate in these forums...expressing their views. Ultimately...listen to what your heart dictates using "LOVE" as your compass, for God IS love and his Holy Spirit will guide you in the way that "YOU" could embrace and be at peace with...

Blessings...

Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Default Church and religion have there place - even for a non-denominationalist

Quote:

Having preached and taught in a broad range of churches and street ministries over many years, I can see both sides of your arguement.

For one thing, being non-denominationally ordained eliminates a great deal of 'baggage' in various ministries. It also eliminates some of the denominational distraction from the pure preaching/teaching of God's Word. Further, it often seems like church programs and other agenda actually detract from the Gospel.

On the other hand, all believers are 'part of the body of Christ's church on earth.' When scripture says, "Do not forsake the gathering together of believers" --- it is saying that believers need to be affiliated with and part of a greater body of believers. For one thing, it is necessary for our Spiritual Gifts to work together as God intended.

You say that you and your family truly believe in God as your creator. While that is admirable, it is NOT the basis of Christianity. As James taught, "Even the demons believe there is one God and tremble." Further, you seem to suggest that a non-denominational 'Christian' is one who does not attend church or have any religion. That's not really what a non-denominational Christian is.

Finally, if you only see going to church as a vehicle to "prove you are a Christian," you have missed the entire point of worship and fellowship with other believers ... and most importantly, of Christianity. Christianity is not what you do or where you go to church, but what God has done through Jesus Christ on your behalf... and living under Christ's Lordship by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Without that.. your denomination, 'churchmanship' and religion ... are meaningless and empty.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
It takes the different denominations to teach and direct hatred. OP gives no clue to where they live, but here in the bible belt, there aren't enough people to hate until you factor in the different denominations which gives them plenty to work with.

I've been to a funeral for a fallen firefighter (I was a firefighter for over 30 years) and the purveyor of hate that officiated (pentecostal) never mentioned the firefighter in the flag draped coffin that died in the line of duty, but he sure as hell spent 30 minutes of fist pounding bible beating rant telling a packed house that all them baptists were going straight to hell. I suspect that catholics, episcopalians, methodists, etc. would have sent him into a fit flopping around on the floor. This mindset of hatred of other people that believe (supposedly) in the same god is pervasive around here, often exhibited in letters to the editor in the local paper.

As an Atheist, this level of irrational hate is beyond my comprehension. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 12-28-2010 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It takes the different denominations to teach and direct hatred. OP gives no clue to where they live, but here in the bible belt, there aren't enough people to hate until you factor in the different denominations which gives them plenty to work with.

I've been to a funeral for a fallen firefighter (I was a firefighter for over 30 years) and the purveyor of hate that officiated (pentecostal) never mentioned the firefighter in the flag draped coffin that died in the line of duty, but he sure as hell spent 30 minutes of fist pounding bible beating rant telling a packed house that all them baptists were going straight to hell. I suspect that catholics, episcopalians, methodists, etc. would have sent him into a fit flopping around on the floor. This mindset of hatred of other people that believe (supposedly) in the same god is pervasive around here, often exhibited in letters to the editor in the local paper.

As an Atheist, this level of irrational hate is beyond my comprehension. Moderator cut: orphaned
Thank you Asheville for expressing your thoughts. I'm just a young adult seeking the truth and the way that leads to life.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-28-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
I'm cool with it. I don't get hung up about people's denomination although our denomination do shape our theology in some ways. My home church is CMA but the church I'm looking at right now is non-denomination church. Tbh, I feel more spiritual fed and spiritual close to my new church than the church I grew up with. Interesting, eh?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:

"Non-denominational" is just a way of trying to be politically correct. Whether ND's like it or not they are all denominational even in their claim of being non denominational. They each draw a line in the sand of what each ND teaches just as the Denominational churches do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity