U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM

5,743 posts, read 4,595,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Short but profound post sparrow!
It is isn't it?! It amazes me, sometimes so much so that it just completely overwhelms me... the utter majesty of it all. To ponder love is to ponder God. It's truly incredible.

peace ans,
sparrow

Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 PM

58,587 posts, read 31,995,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Finn... you are misunderstanding. You are not understanding what love is, I think. Otherwise there is no way you would say that "It is sweet to always mention that".
Believe it or not, but I do understand what love is. I said there are other ingredients in the equation, and that means love is not the only thing present. I quoted from Hebrews saying that without faith you cannot please God. Unbelievers are capable of loving other people, animals, ideas etc but without faith it is impossible to please God.

So, yes, it is sweet to always mention love as if faith had no meaning, but it is simply not the whole truth. God is not ONLY love, but capable of other emotions.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Finn, no it is very obvious to me that you do not understand what I am talking about. We are talking about completely different things here. You're not seeing what I'm talking about. (which is fine! But what you're saying has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, so I don't think we can really even keep this discussion going.)

The "greatest of these is LOVE".

Faith is trusting in Love's power.
You must first start to understand that POWER... in order to have complete trust in it. (In GOD.) God is love.
God is pleased when we trust in Him. (again WHAT are we trusting...??)

You must start to understand what LOVE (GOD) has accomplished.
And you must start to really, truly see just WHY and HOW LOVE CONQUERS ALL.

There is nothing, nothing, nothing more powerful than LOVE.
No amount of darkness or evil can conquer it. Love conquers ALL of the darkness, all of the evil, all of the non-love.
It overwhelms it and conquers it. ALL of it.
We do NOT see eye to eye on this very, very CORE issue, Finn.
So discussion is kind of futile right now, I think. (and again that is ok!)
Maybe one day in the future we can revisit it and we'll be more productive.

peace to you,
sparrow

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Finn, no it is very obvious to me that you do not understand what I am talking about. We are talking about completely different things here. You're not seeing what I'm talking about. (which is fine! But what you're saying has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, so I don't think we can really even keep this discussion going.)
Yes, you are talking about something else, and you are not hearing what I am saying. You came in to inject your off-topic remark and then you claim that I am not seeing eye-to-eye with you, and that I don't even know what love is. If you stay on topic, I will see eye-to-eye. I said that without faith it is impossible to please God, and if you don't want to talk about that, then I am perfectly fine with ending the conversation.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Hi Finn... Folks were talking about building on the foundation. I was addressing what I saw the foundation as being. Then you said it was "sweet" of me to bring it (love) up... but from that phrase, from your wording, I knew that you were totally undermining (not on purpose) what my words meant. I had to address that. It's far too important not to. Too many people do not understand the POWER of love. They call it "hippie love" or they say things like "God is love BUT He is also justice" .

A person's words reveals what they currently see.

We are just seeing something from two different perspectives.
Peace, maybe we can discuss another day.
Have a nice night.
sparrow

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,835,683 times
Quote:
o. Too many people do not understand the POWER of love. They call it "hippie love" or they say things like "God is love BUT He is also justice" .
sparrow
"hippie love" or they say things like "God is love BUT He is also justice"

the POWER of love,

hello McFly....anybody in there?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM

Twin.spin... What exactly are you saying?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Hi Finn... Folks were talking about building on the foundation. I was addressing what I saw the foundation as being. Then you said it was "sweet" of me to bring it (love) up... but from that phrase, from your wording, I knew that you were totally undermining (not on purpose) what my words meant.
Not undermining, but it seems that "God is love" is offered as a standard answer to every discussion, as if the Bible taught nothing else. God is love, it is true, but there is more to it than that. The Bible teaches that the foundation of Christ is everything Jesus teached, and the Bible repeats some 200 times that faith is required for salvation, so faith is a very important ingredient. Hebrews says it is impossible to please God without FAITH. Faith, like love are considered 'elementary' issues the Bible, so you could say they are both base ingredients of the foundation. But since Christ and the word of God is the foundation, then everything Jesus teached becomes an ingredient in the foundation, not just love and faith.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Finn.. you're still not getting it. And I doubt there is much I can say to change your perspective so that you can get what I'm saying. It's like we are talking to each other you keep saying "flour" and I am saying "flower". The conversation is just not making sense because we don't have the same perspective of "LOVE". What I think you think I am saying is NOT what I am saying. (lol)

Like I said, maybe sometime in the future we can touch on this again and maybe the perspective I'm coming from will come more into focus.

The only thing I can say in closing, is Jesus came to show us the true nature of our Creator. LOVE. God isn't "Love, yes BUT He is ALSO Justice".
No God IS Love. Justice is within Love. They are not separate. Everything that HE is... IS LOVE.

Perfect Love. Not carnal man's measly little view of what love is.
Perfect love holds within itself perfect justice. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree? Maybe that is the way to go for now, what do you think? I have no hard feelings towards you at all, I really hope you can feel that in what I'm saying. I know talking on a forum can be hard because you can't hear the tone of voice and see facial expressions etc.

peace,
sparrow

Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,488,784 times
Purgatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or