U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:20 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,630,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I've never heard that Calvin killed a man. I'm actually a Calvinist theologically, and I've never heard of that. Is that confirmed, or just a rumor made to discredit Calvinism?
I think you will have to determine that yourself. Just do a search for Michael Servetus and John Calvin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:24 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,630,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
That is between God and Calvin..... Moderator cut: attacking]

It seems people are pointing out his, condemning him..... what did Jesus say to those who were condemning the prostitute ???
Those that were going throw the stones at the prostitute were going to carry out the execution of judgement. That is when Jesus stepped in. Jesus did nothing to keep them from considering her a prostitute. He only had them consider that they couldn't act on that conviction because of their own sin.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,568,240 times
Quote:
I've never heard that Calvin killed a man. I'm actually a Calvinist theologically, and I've never heard of that. Is that confirmed, or just a rumor made to discredit Calvinism?
It's a historical fact, and yes - opponents of Calvinism love to jump on this.

Unfortunately, Martin Luther was just as cruel so I don't see where the argument over the theological issue (Calvinism vs. Arminianism) get any traction either way.

The Murder of Michael Servetus

The full story of his slow live burning (green wood was purposely used) can be read as well - not for the faint of heart though.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,042,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Those that were going throw the stones at the prostitute were going to carry out the execution of judgement. That is when Jesus stepped in. Jesus did nothing to keep them from considering her a prostitute. He only had them consider that they couldn't act on that conviction because of their own sin.
No, they were not in the process of going to execute her and then Jesus stepping in, they brought her to Him and were trying to trap Him with the law..... come on, Trettep !

Here's the scripture to refresh you memory.....

John 8:1-11
1.But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
2.At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them.
3.The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group
4.and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.
5.In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”

6.They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.
7.When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”
8.Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9.At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.
10.Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
11.“No one, sir,” she said.
“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

And that was my point of my post..... people condemning other's for their sin just like in this thread, condemning John Calvin.... and no one truly knows if what you shared is true, sad that people are so quick to condemn, judge other's and don't look at their sin just like in the scripture above!! Go figure !

Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,306,503 times
Quote:
Yes, Calvin did kill, by his henchmen. The history of Geneva -the letters, the public records left- all tell the story of Calvin's heart of darkness and evil towards his fellow men who did not obey Calvin's Geneva laws.

In fact, if I had lived under Calvin in Geneva, he would have killed me, tortured me, imprisoned me -any and or all of the just mentioned- for my faith in Jesus Christ and refusal to follow the tyrannical laws of Calvin's Geneva. He was not of God.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM

7,859 posts, read 6,668,091 times
The predestination of salvation theory of John Calvin does not line up with the scriptures because these ideas belittles Jesus Christ sacrifice on the cross ...... Predestination means that If God did not plan from the beginning of time to save John Calvin soul then no matter what John did to be obedient to Jesus Christ commands ,, Jesus death on the cross and his ressurrection was not worthy to save his soul so to seek; in theory

Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,306,503 times
Quote:
The scriptures is clear. We sin - our names are blotted out. We have all been blotted out.
No human being can be born in Adam unless their names are already written in the Book of Life, to come forth in their season appointed before the foundation of the world. Every human being born in Adam is written in the Book of Life, as a soul for whom the Atonement for redemption was offered once, for all, in the fullness of time.

In the Scriptures: no one who gets their names blotted out of the Book of Life can be re-written there. There remains no remedy for that blotting out, and not being found written in the Book of Life, they shall not arise in the resurrection to Life -the first resurrection [which is in stages; Firstfruits, ingathering, and gleanings], ending at the ingathering of that Harvest typed in Pentecost. After that, there is no more death of the righteous, and they live until they are translated without dying, at the end of the thousand year Sabbath of Peace.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,208,025 times
Moderator cut: warning

One more baiting post in an attempt to derail this op and infractions will be given.

Please read the op again and answer/discuss with the TOS and sticky posts in mind..Thank you

Quote:
I was doing some research on John Calvin and came across some information that he killed a man. Isn't John Calvin the father of the fundamental movement?

I'm curious as to what "churches" subscribe to the views of Calvin.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I was doing some research on John Calvin and came across some information that he killed a man. Isn't John Calvin the father of the fundamental movement?

I'm curious as to what "churches" subscribe to the views of Calvin.
It's loosely called "reformed" theology. Though strictly the term applies to all the 16th century reformers.

Calvinist Churches in the USA

John Macarthur is probably one of the most prominent pastors who adheres to Calvinist views.

Welcome to Grace to You

Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Yes, Calvin did kill, by his henchmen. The history of Geneva -the letters, the public records left- all tell the story of Calvin's heart of darkness and evil towards his fellow men who did not obey Calvin's Geneva laws.

In fact, if I had lived under Calvin in Geneva, he would have killed me, tortured me, imprisoned me -any and or all of the just mentioned- for my faith in Jesus Christ and refusal to follow the tyrannical laws of Calvin's Geneva. He was not of God.
Wow! We agree!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity