U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,460,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No, I could care less if you don't believe the bible that the sun stood still. What I hate is you coming here making puerile statements that the sun could not possibly have stood still based solely on your word it could not have.

It is incumbent upon the detractor to PROVE the sun could not have stood still if he says it could not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
You ask for other posters to prove that certain events didn't happen (the flood or the sun standing still.) But when we give reasonably logical and scientific reasons why these things could not and did not occur. You either dismiss them as not creditable out of hand without a logical retort as to why or you fall back on mysticism and miracles.
If I thought you gave scientific reasons why there was no flood I wouldn't ask for scientific reasons which actually PROVE there was no flood.

Where did you or anyone here scientifically PROVE the sun did not stand still in Joshua's day? Did you ? Please enlighten me. Give me the exact post where this was done.

I'm allowed to believe in miracles. If you come here and tell me Jesus didn't walk on water, you can't just say he didn't. You have to actually prove He didn't. I don't have to prove He did because I just take it by faith.

Quote:
Oh, and if you want to try having a intelligent debate try spell check before you hit submit reply. Misspellings detract somewhat from your intellectual creditability. (which you can ill afford)
Thanks for the heads up. Yea, I did misspell "incumbent." I hate it when others misspell words.

By the way, in your first paragraph above you used a parenthetical phrase with a period (.) inside the right paren. This should be done only when a complete sentence is within the parenthesis.
In your last paragraph you have an incomplete sentence within your parenthesis with no period and no proper word beginning the new sentence. You can ill afford to reveal your lack of proper grammar.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,126,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
This is just mind blowing (sorry nothing to do with the flood): from your link;

"The summit of Everest is composed of deep-marine limestone, with fossils of ocean-bottom dwelling crinoids [Gansser, 1964]."

To think that plate tectonic would push the bottom of the sea floor to the heights of an 8 meter mountain is just staggering.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM

2,617 posts, read 1,993,790 times
It sounds to me like the ark may have landed right here in the good old southern United States. The bible belt. Where else in the world are people noted for "inbreeding"
It's no wonder that the number one pick up line down south at the family reunion is "nice tooth"

Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I never said I didn't live by faith.

But for one who has no faith such as yourself and do not believe the Bible and who says such and such cannot be true concerning the Bible it is upon your shoulders to PROVE by scientific evidence that what I take by faith is false since you have no faith.

Besides, I don't take everything in the bible by faith. As I recently posted above the scientific evidence for Noah's flood I can mix scientific proof with faith as the need arises.
Good gracious Mercury Cougar sent you to a site that is so chocked full of evidence regarding the utter impossibility of the "Flood" as to make any counter argument risible.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Oh, this is more fun that evolution...

Quote:
Where did you or anyone here scientifically PROVE the sun did not stand still in Joshua's day?
Well of course you are right, the sun did stand still in Joshua's day. Just as the sun stands still before Joshua and for the same reason that the sun will stand still tomorrow since form an orbital stand point the earth moves around the sun!

If the sun were to appear to remain stationary in the sky the only reason would be that the
earth
ceased to rotate on its axis!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Good gracious Mercury Cougar sent you to a site that is so chocked full of evidence regarding the utter impossibility of the "Flood" as to make any counter argument risible.
Yes, and Good gracious I sent you to a site that is so chocked full of evidence regarding the utter possibility of the "Flood" as to make any counter argument risible

Startling evidence for Noah’s Flood

Here's more:
Geologic Evidences for the Genesis Flood - Answers in Genesis

High & Dry Sea Creatures - Answers in Genesis
The World

Sand Transported Cross Country - Answers in Genesis

No Slow and Gradual Erosion - Answers in Genesis

Rock Layers Folded, Not Fractured - Answers in Genesis

Global Flood - The Geophysics of God
A scientist embraces plate tectonics--and Noah's flood
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By: Chandler Burr
16 June 1997
U.S. News & World Report 55-58.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, this is more fun that evolution...

Well of course you are right, the sun did stand still in Joshua's day. Just as the sun stands still before Joshua and for the same reason that the sun will stand still tomorrow since form an orbital stand point the earth moves around the sun!

If the sun were to appear to remain stationary in the sky the only reason would be that the
earth
ceased to rotate on its axis!
And you believe that the God who created the universe . . . that stopping the rotation of the earth is an impossibility?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,287,463 times
Quote:
And you believe that the God who created the universe . . . that stopping the rotation of the earth is an impossibility?
Absolutely, without any hesitation at all, an utterly impossible fantasy. Applies to both your fantasies above.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,725,643 times
Quote:
I know the skeptics are piling it on Eusebius, but you have to understand that your position is shaky and subject to both serious questioning and ridicule. I realize that you might find this as a badge of honor and it may fulfill some biblical passage about Christians being "persecuted" for their beliefs, but man, how can you maintain such things in your head and not see the problems with them? For example, why would god have to hold the sun "still" just so the Israelites could massacre some more folks? Would it have not just made more sense to toss down a bolt of lightning and fry the enemy or smite them with hemorrhoids or jock itch? Seems kinda over dramatic to hold the sun still in the sky when such an extreme would not be needed. In addition, I wonder how come no other culture mentions this special day when the sun refused to go down to corroborate this unprecedented event?

NOTE: Of course, I'm working with YOUR interpretation of the story and not necessarily agreeing such a thing happened.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,230,322 times
Quote:
In other words, Mercury Cougar cannot disprove what my link says so he has to make fun of it. Yea, that's mature.
Ridiculous, impossible, unsubstantiated claims deserve to be mocked. I no more have to disprove your claims than I must disprove the existence of a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity