U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
 
71 posts, read 138,352 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

This was sent to me by a site called God's Daily Word Ministries and I want to know exactly how a person gets into the kingdom of heaven. I find this confusing.

Matthew 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in Heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!'"

Clearly, being "good" does not ensure we are known by Jesus. Neither does going to church, reading our Bible, teaching Sunday School...or even writing devotional messages! Jesus knows, and takes away the sin, of "only he who does the will of My Father."

Fortunately, Jesus also tells us exactly how to do His Father's will: "For My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:40). The will of our Heavenly Father is to truly know and be known by His Son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,771,861 times
Reputation: 58199
I find that particular scripture from Matthew confusing as well. Apparently there are people casting out demons and prophesying in Jesus' name but are not believers? I find that hard to believe but that's what it seems to be saying.....however........we must understand that not everyone will immediately inherit the kingdom of God, only believers. But ALL will be reconciled to God in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
 
1,837 posts, read 1,589,961 times
Reputation: 297
Don't forget the part about "you who break God's laws" That was the reason Yahushua gave us. He said they were practioners of "lawlessness"... "evil-doers".

Shall we discuss the Sermon on the Mount, or the response Yahushua gave the man who asked this same question. It had something to do with the Ten Commandments. I'll post scriptures if needed?

I believe Yahushua has allready answered your question. "You know the Commandments"... and of course believe in the Lamb... the most important thing.

Last edited by O-Ducky; 01-18-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
 
71 posts, read 138,352 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Don't forget the part about "you who break God's laws" That was the reason Yahushua gave us. He said they were practioners of "lawlessness"... "evil-doers".

Shall we discuss the Sermon on the Mount, or the response Yahushua gave the man who asked this same question. It had something to do with the Ten Commandments. I'll post scriptures if needed?

I believe Yahushua has allready answered your question. "You know the Commandments"... and of course believe in the Lamb... the most important thing.

So, you are saying if anyone broke any of the 10 commandments they will not be saved into the kingdom of heaven? but that's not true. jesus pardoned the murderer...etc... where can I find a clear and concise answer to this question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,651 posts, read 32,108,797 times
Reputation: 9443
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette49 View Post
This was sent to me by a site called God's Daily Word Ministries and I want to know exactly how a person gets into the kingdom of heaven. I find this confusing.

Matthew 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in Heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!'"

Clearly, being "good" does not ensure we are known by Jesus. Neither does going to church, reading our Bible, teaching Sunday School...or even writing devotional messages! Jesus knows, and takes away the sin, of "only he who does the will of My Father."

Fortunately, Jesus also tells us exactly how to do His Father's will: "For My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:40). The will of our Heavenly Father is to truly know and be known by His Son.
You answered your own question. Believe, and you shall enter. Matthew talks about pretenders, - people who pretend to be believers, but do not have a relationship with Christ. To them Christ will say "I never knew you", and much like the foolish virgins they will be left outside. You enter the Kingdom Of Heaven, and the KOH in you as soon as you are saved, and it will extend for eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 AM
 
1,837 posts, read 1,589,961 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette49 View Post
So, you are saying if anyone broke any of the 10 commandments they will not be saved into the kingdom of heaven? but that's not true. jesus pardoned the murderer...etc... where can I find a clear and concise answer to this question?
1 John 3

4 Everyone who sins is breaking God’s law, for all sin is contrary to the law of God. 5 And you know that Jesus came to take away our sins, and there is no sin in him. 6 Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know him or understand who he is.
7 Dear children, don’t let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous. 8 But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. 9 Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God. 10 So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers does not belong to God.

1 John 2

3 And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. 4 If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. 5 But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. 6 Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.

It's the power of God by the Holy Spirit that sets us free. If the Son sets you free, you will indeed be free. So we can't keep on sinning, which is way more than not loving someone. It's things like lust and fornication. But just as John said prior to this, IF we do sin we can be forgiven.

Do you know any "Christians" who have a liscense to sin? Don't buy it.

Here's a few things that should get you back on track:

Earnest Prayer (talk to God. He created you as an individual person who has the ability to communicate with him. Humbly seek him and see what happens)
Reading God's Word
WORSHIP

Last edited by O-Ducky; 01-18-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 AM
 
5,441 posts, read 4,686,835 times
Reputation: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I find that particular scripture from Matthew confusing as well. Apparently there are people casting out demons and prophesying in Jesus' name but are not believers? I find that hard to believe but that's what it seems to be saying.....however........we must understand that not everyone will immediately inherit the kingdom of God, only believers. But ALL will be reconciled to God in the end.
Those people "proclaim" to prophesy and cast out demons, but they are delusional; Jesus does not know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,651 posts, read 32,108,797 times
Reputation: 9443
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Those people "proclaim" to prophesy and cast out demons, but they are delusional; Jesus dos not know them.
Exactly. It matters not what they say, because either Jesus knows them, or He doesn't. and in this case He does not. He does not recognize pretenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM
 
5,441 posts, read 4,686,835 times
Reputation: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette49 View Post
This was sent to me by a site called God's Daily Word Ministries and I want to know exactly how a person gets into the kingdom of heaven. I find this confusing.

Matthew 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in Heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!'"

Clearly, being "good" does not ensure we are known by Jesus. Neither does going to church, reading our Bible, teaching Sunday School...or even writing devotional messages! Jesus knows, and takes away the sin, of "only he who does the will of My Father."

Fortunately, Jesus also tells us exactly how to do His Father's will: "For My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:40). The will of our Heavenly Father is to truly know and be known by His Son.
Without holiness, no one will see the Lord. Many proclaim to know Jesus, yet they walk in unrighteousness.

1 Thessalonians 3
[12] And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:
[13] To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,335 posts, read 20,071,763 times
Reputation: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Those people "proclaim" to prophesy and cast out demons, but they are delusional; Jesus does not know them.
Simply not true

“Teacher,” said John, “we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”
“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us. I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top