U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM

733 posts, read 4,089,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
as a newbie to the US I am amazed by how many different churches there are...Here I have about 10 diff 'churches' within a 5 mile radius of my house... if anyone can recommend some reading material that might shed some light I would appreciate it !!
Try and find a copy of Blessed Assurance - A History of Evangelism in America by Randall Balmer.

He discusses the vibrancy and diversity of religion in America as a function of (1) no state church and (2) the freedom to go off and start your own church if you don't care for the dogma or doctrine of any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM

21,289 posts, read 20,939,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Oh and the SDA's don't believe in the eternal torment. Nothing wrong with that.
Interesting. I didn't know that. That's something they have in common with Mormonism.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,831,819 times
Quote:
as a newbie to the US I am amazed by how many different churches there are.

In the UK it was pretty straight forward. A church for all the diff religions, Jewish, Buddhist, etc and Catholic and C of E fairly close in their Christian beliefs.

Here I have about 10 diff 'churches' within a 5 mile radius of my house.
I have Assemblies of God, Episcopal, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Apostolic, Baptist, Bible, Brethren, Christian and Missionary Alliance, Later day Saints, Reformed.... and if I look further afield a whole heap more. Are they all really different in their beliefs ??

I am not so curious that I actually want to go to one..... but was just wondering.
I might google them all one day....... but if anyone can recommend some reading material that might shed some light I would appreciate it !!
"Are they all really different in their beliefs ??" ------------Is there a difference .... big time!!!

From the list you have provide, the ones I'm most familiar about: Assemblies of God, Episcopal, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Reformed... these are the ones that are Christian.

To find out how the Lutheran docrinally is different from those others you can go to:

www.wels.net/what-we-believe/questions-answers/religions

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,831,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Thank you for sharing that. I've accually been very comfortable with the Mormons for a long time now. I've met many Mormons and have read many things written by Mormons and know we are serving the same God... of course. .
...........nope

Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 PM

21,289 posts, read 20,939,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
To find out how the Lutheran docrinally is different from those others you can go to:

www.wels.net/what-we-believe/questions-answers/religions
Note to swisswife: Should you go to the link about Mormonism, you will probably notice right away that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not find it necessary to post disparaging and misleading information about other religions. We do not believe we have to undercut anybody else's beliefs to make ours seem more appealing.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-21-2011 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: talking about Twin is off topic

Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,359,020 times
Quote:
as a newbie to the US I am amazed by how many different churches there are.

In the UK it was pretty straight forward. A church for all the diff religions, Jewish, Buddhist, etc and Catholic and C of E fairly close in their Christian beliefs.

Here I have about 10 diff 'churches' within a 5 mile radius of my house.
I have Assemblies of God, Episcopal, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Apostolic, Baptist, Bible, Brethren, Christian and Missionary Alliance, Later day Saints, Reformed.... and if I look further afield a whole heap more. Are they all really different in their beliefs ??

I am not so curious that I actually want to go to one..... but was just wondering.
I might google them all one day....... but if anyone can recommend some reading material that might shed some light I would appreciate it !!
Also, what do each of these churches have in common??

A collection plate that is passed around several times during each service...which equals money, revenue...

I'm not saying money or revenue is always a factor in why new churches are started...but I do believe it plays a factor...

Entrepreneurship can even be found within churches...kind of like induvisual businesses...

Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,156,477 times
There is only one True Church of Christ and it is the one you were baptized in.Moderator cut: delete .

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: off topic..about your thread and your blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity