U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 AM

823 posts, read 1,081,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
does debating about god help us advance spiritually?

in my opinion it seems to create animosity and bad feelings towards religious groups different to our own? who is right and who is wrong? who is saved and who will perish?
isn't love more important that all of the politics of religion?
isn't it our hearts that must be surrendered and cleaned?

i could be wrong.. but i cant help but feel as if all of this is not worth the battle of words.
What a great post! I used to debate here but it did leave me feeling more often than not spiritually drained..... I would get upset and the majority of the threads on love do not seem to receive much response. Most likely because LOVE is what we can all agree upon.

Having said that, I do think that debating is also healthy because there are many here that have truly taken the time to write their beliefs and by doing so have planted many seeds. I think we need to have a balance. For me, right now I have taken some time off from debates but the time will come when I will want to again here and there. How else can we let others know of what we feel is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
How else can we let others know of what we feel is the truth.
Exactly!! Debating can make one weary and we all have to take breaks from it now and then but it really is the only way to get our voices heard. We must stand up for the truth and sometimes that means debating!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 AM

17,968 posts, read 12,427,722 times
Eph 4:30 And do not be causing sorrow to the holy spirit of God by which you are sealed for the day of deliverance.

I sometimes wonder if God cries over all the wrangling we do about Him and His Son rather than to show genuine love for one another on these boards.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,107,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
does debating about god help us advance spiritually?

in my opinion it seems to create animosity and bad feelings towards religious groups different to our own? who is right and who is wrong? who is saved and who will perish?
isn't love more important that all of the politics of religion?
isn't it our hearts that must be surrendered and cleaned?

i could be wrong.. but i cant help but feel as if all of this is not worth the battle of words.
Nice thread, lovesaves! (and nice screen name, too! )

Christendom has been drunk with the blood of the saints ever since Calvary. (Just as the blood of prophets and righteous people has flown from even before then..)

It seems to be human nature to think that God "needs our help." He doesn't. Since He put Adam in the garden of Eden, He has been guiding mankind into His full plan of salvation of ALL souls, and even though we have various religions and denominations and borders and divisions, He loves us all.
This is why He commands us to love our enemies. No one has ever imagined such a wonderful, "radical" Love!
But He showed us how it can be done (by sending His Son), and He has redeemed all mankind through His own blood.

So we just keep preaching the Love of Jesus. It's love that will overcome; not our "limited" love, but His immense Love which "passes understanding." Our doctrines can't wrap around such a great Love, and we first few who are feeling His Love for us are more than overjoyed to tell it to anyone whose heart He opens!

Blessings to all!
Brian

Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 AM

351 posts, read 283,083 times
I also love talking about what I believe is true. I never get mad or take things about anyones believes personally as I know we are all where God wants us to be at this time. I think the back and forth is good and I love to read others opinions even if I do not agree as it makes me think and check the bible more and grow in my own believes.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,414,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
I also love talking about what I believe is true. I never get mad or take things about anyones believes personally as I know we are all where God wants us to be at this time. I think the back and forth is good and I love to read others opinions even if I do not agree as it makes me think and check the bible more and grow in my own believes.

I believe that sharing the goodness of God is spiritually healthy...it is only when we stubbornly cling to how we processed that goodness and forcefully tell others it is the only way that it becomes detrimental to the soul, let alone drive people away from the Creator.

Peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity