U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM
 
11 posts, read 11,290 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

does debating about god help us advance spiritually?

in my opinion it seems to create animosity and bad feelings towards religious groups different to our own? who is right and who is wrong? who is saved and who will perish?
isn't love more important that all of the politics of religion?
isn't it our hearts that must be surrendered and cleaned?

i could be wrong.. but i cant help but feel as if all of this is not worth the battle of words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,378,627 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
does debating about god help us advance spiritually?
I personally believe it does. As long as the beginning criteria is first met, which is the GREATEST command, which is to love the Lord thy God with ALL thy heart, mind, body and soul,,,then use what god has gifted you with. The ability to reason.

Quote:
in my opinion it seems to create animosity and bad feelings towards religious groups different to our own?
Sometimes this can be true, and other times it brings union and harmony. It depends on the person's mental and spiritual state. Do they do this out of love for one another, or just to be mean and obnoxious?

Quote:
who is right and who is wrong?
We all are. Just ask us. The better question would be,,are we done learning and growing in the Lord? If we are, then we are wrong, and blind.

Quote:
who is saved and who will perish?
Only God judges the hearts of men. No man can answer that question, and if they do? Well, they have now assumed the role of our Creator.

Quote:
isn't love more important that all of the politics of religion?
Absolutely!!

Quote:
isn't it our hearts that must be surrendered and cleaned?
Absolutely!! But God does this, as we grow in Him.

Quote:
i could be wrong.. but i cant help but feel as if all of this is not worth the battle of words.
Well, to be honest, I have learned SO much by being here. The Bible can sometimes be a labyrinth, and figuring out which maze to cross into can be challenging. But when questions arise, and the Spirit guides? Then it is wondrous beyond belief. We go to the places we can grow in the Word, and the other places then take on new lives of their own when we come to them.

Hope I am making sense!

Peace,

Tony.


Great questions, BTW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
 
7,880 posts, read 6,691,569 times
Reputation: 1374
Debating God can be hard on people if they take offence in the selfish pride nature ....... the Ideas is that in Dogma of ideas there is NO debate but of the truth of dogma is undebatable, and debating gives no honor to the Lord God and HIS ideas for HIS purposes ...... but debating can bring vision of truth when the truth is on the table for debate , so the Lord God does benefit of debating to some degree,.... In the scriptures Lord Jesus used dogma in his preaching and if you did not believe than that was your option he was not going to debated endlessly, HIS Words were the last Words in the discussions Preaching is proclaming the truths , were teaching has insight into the motive which through Holy Spirit can change a heart for the purpose of Christ..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,458,351 times
Reputation: 989
I think God would rather we love one another than argue about Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
 
1,837 posts, read 1,588,396 times
Reputation: 297
Debating doesn't have to be bad. It can be good and you can accually grow from it if you want to grow. Also it can be good for the bystanders who may not even know God. It really all depends on the ones debating too, if they are speaking in love and noone's upset then it's good.

I use to not like debates. It's not bad though. With a debate where neither side gives and it's obviously unproductive there needs to be a point where it ends. This is hard because it requires giving someone the last word. Hey, sometimes there are debates where neither side agrees, and then it ends up like a comedy show and everybody just laughs. That's when you know you love each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,663 posts, read 3,745,899 times
Reputation: 3920
Well, I like to use my long drawn out CAR ANALOGY in this case, but since you probably don't want to hear it, I'll jsut say YES I agree

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 01-19-2011 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: speelllingg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
 
20,329 posts, read 15,696,619 times
Reputation: 7461
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
does debating about god help us advance spiritually?

in my opinion it seems to create animosity and bad feelings towards religious groups different to our own? who is right and who is wrong? who is saved and who will perish?
isn't love more important that all of the politics of religion?
isn't it our hearts that must be surrendered and cleaned?

i could be wrong.. but i cant help but feel as if all of this is not worth the battle of words.
Truth must always be defended against attacks directed at it.

Tit 2:1 'But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.

Jude 1:3 '...Contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4] For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.'

2 Peter 2:1 'But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.'

The truth is never to be compromised for the sake of love. The truth can be spoken in love and heresies revealed for what they are.

Ecumenism is unity at the expense of truth and is evil. It will be the foundation of the one world religion during the tribulation.

If you are a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, you have a duty to God to stand in the gap and speak the truth in the face of cosmic lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
 
17,893 posts, read 8,927,943 times
Reputation: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Truth must always be defended against attacks directed at it.

Tit 2:1 'But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.

Jude 1:3 '...Contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4] For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.'

2 Peter 2:1 'But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.'

The truth is never to be compromised for the sake of love. The truth can be spoken in love and heresies revealed for what they are.

Ecumenism is unity at the expense of truth and is evil. It will be the foundation of the one world religion during the tribulation.

If you are a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, you have a duty to God to stand in the gap and speak the truth in the face of cosmic lies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves

isn't love more important that all of the politics of religion?
isn't it our hearts that must be surrendered and cleaned?
Yes, it is.

"There are absolutes, but it's not what man thinks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
60 posts, read 81,611 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I think God would rather we love one another than argue about Him.
Yes that is my take on this as well. Treating others as you would want to be treated and your motivations for doing so. When arrogant people have to mix in the religious dogma than we get all of these problems. We should do away with all manmade religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,298 posts, read 14,165,150 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
does debating about god help us advance spiritually?
When you search the Scriptures to achieve an accurate answer, and post the Scripture as part of the answer - yes it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top