U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,132,699 times
Reputation: 866

Advertisements

"An adulterous generation seeks a sign..." -Jesus

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,586,428 times
Reputation: 843
[quote=Ilene Wright;17525625]
Quote:

LOL!!! The first thing that came to mind when I read this is it sounds like something Master Yoda would have said in Star Wars!!
At first I miss-typed and then turned it into a Yoda thing. Lazy I am!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,469,084 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You said it, O-Ducky doesn't know the people here and we've all been privy to this stuff before, I even believed it until recently. Ah, the peace and understanding that comes with knowing the TRUTH, that Jesus is the Savior of the world and those that need to be saved in this life will be saved, and this type of fear mongering does nothing but turn people off from the message of Christ.

Betsey's intentions are not in question, just the message.
"Betsey's intentions are not in question, just the message".

Oh, how I wished for your sake that it was something as simple as my intentions, that are in question! But as sad as it is, by way of your confession....your argument's clearly not with me. Take it to Him then, it's after all, your soul, yes? Quit trying to distort the message for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
 
37,735 posts, read 25,410,662 times
Reputation: 5870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
"Betsey's intentions are not in question, just the message".

Oh, how I wished for your sake that it was something as simple as my intentions, that are in question! But as sad as it is, by way of your confession....your argument's clearly not with me. Take it to Him then, it's after all, your soul, yes? Quit trying to distort the message for others.
Ah Betsey . . . dear sister . . . as long as they listen to Him in their hearts and "love God and each other" . . . what difference does it make to you WHY they do. Is it really necessary that they do it for the reasons YOU espouse? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 05:32 PM
 
3,613 posts, read 471,457 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
"Betsey's intentions are not in question, just the message".

Oh, how I wished for your sake that it was something as simple as my intentions, that are in question! But as sad as it is, by way of your confession....your argument's clearly not with me. Take it to Him then, it's after all, your soul, yes? Quit trying to distort the message for others.
Betsey ...... Ilene believes in God and his Son and I believe that she also still believes in the rapture, however for her the important message is not 'believe because you are afraid' it is 'believe because it is true', the gospel is the good news

You are now trying to say that the rapture and coming doom is the message of Christ and that Ilene is putting her soul in jeopardy somehow even though she is a believer (in Christ)

Jesus message was 'good news to all men' and 'love God and your neighbour'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 05:39 PM
 
11 posts, read 11,321 times
Reputation: 17
god knows each of our hearts and once we seek him he will clean it for us. man can't see the depths of another mans heart.. only the Creator can.
we must al seek our own hearts, we must start with ourselves. and it when our hearts are clean and pure is when we can help others see the truth of this life. all else is mindless rambling. ( imo)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 PM
 
3,613 posts, read 471,457 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
god knows each of our hearts and once we seek him he will clean it for us. man can't see the depths of another mans heart.. only the Creator can.
we must al seek our own hearts, we must start with ourselves. and it when our hearts are clean and pure is when we can help others see the truth of this life. all else is mindless rambling. ( imo)
I agree, welcome to the forum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,782,393 times
Reputation: 58199
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Betsey ...... Ilene believes in God and his Son and I believe that she also still believes in the rapture, however for her the important message is not 'believe because you are afraid' it is 'believe because it is true', the gospel is the good news

You are now trying to say that the rapture and coming doom is the message of Christ and that Ilene is putting her soul in jeopardy somehow even though she is a believer (in Christ)

Jesus message was 'good news to all men' and 'love God and your neighbour'
Exactly, thanks Meerkat. I think it is now completely unnecessary and ridiculous to spread this message of fear and condemnation. That's not what Jesus Christ was about, and they know it. It's hard to hear the truth, but the truth is what wins out every time.

There seems to be some kind of sick pleasure derived from spreading this kind of message constantly, it's like all they think about! How about living in the right here and now and let God worry about the end times and the Rapture. I know they think that I have somehow lost my salvation because I don't believe like they do but let me tell you something, I'm still a Christian and no matter how badly they want me to miss the Rapture because of my beliefs it ain't gonna happen. Jesus is my Savior, and I'm still more than happy to die for that belief, even though I won't have to.

It seems more prudent and beneficial to me to stop all this doom and gloom nonsense and talk about why a person needs Jesus Christ in their life. Right NOW. I don't know, maybe they should consider WWJD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,586,428 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
There seems to be some kind of sick pleasure derived from spreading this kind of message constantly, it's like all they think about!
I've said before - the "sick pleasure" thing is maybe for a sick few at the top who profit from the books and TV shows what not. And a few followers who long to be avenged for all the ridicule they receive in this life.

But the vast majority of end timers I know are very decent folk who are convinced that it is just the unpleasant reality of the situation and so try to save others along with themselves. And, the fact is, IF they love people and believe the end time stuff is true then it kind of follows that they will obsess. I really can't fault them for that.

So my goal would be to point out the absurdity of the view and hope they can find peace (both for themselves and for those they care about) and keep some optimism about the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,782,393 times
Reputation: 58199
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I've said before - the "sick pleasure" thing is maybe for a sick few at the top who profit from the books and TV shows what not. And a few followers who long to be avenged for all the ridicule they receive in this life.

But the vast majority of end timers I know are very decent folk who are convinced that it is just the unpleasant reality of the situation and so try to save others along with themselves. And, the fact is, IF they love people and believe the end time stuff is true then it kind of follows that they will obsess. I really can't fault them for that.

So my goal would be to point out the absurdity of the view and hope they can find peace (both for themselves and for those they care about) and keep some optimism about the future.
Absolutely, FB, I should have put that in my post as a sidenote. Some can't help it, it's what they've been taught and I was one of them not too terribly long ago. I understand it to some degree, but there does seem to be a few people here who are completely obsessed by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top