U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 PM

107 posts, read 161,398 times

Advertisements

It seems that the word christian serves as a wide range description of a variety of people with all different types of beliefs.

Some call themselves true Christians or real Christians to try and separate themselves from the general masses.

Maybe it is time for a name change?

First, we have to determine what a true Christian is. In the shortest statement you can make, what is a true Christian?

Would it be ...

A person who has accepted the free gift of sacrifice made by Jesus, Christ, Lord?

Can I make the statement even shorter? What's your shortest description?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:20 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,694,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
It seems that the word christian serves as a wide range description of a variety of people with all different types of beliefs.

Some call themselves true Christians or real Christians to try and separate themselves from the general masses.

First, we have to determine what a true Christian is. In the shortest statement you can make, what is a true Christian?

Would it be ...

A person who has accepted the free gift of sacrifice made by Jesus, Christ, Lord?

Jesus

Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,840,973 times
Quote:

Would it be ...

John 3:16 and John 3:36 and Colossians 2:9
  1. God loved the world that Jesus died as payment for the sins of all
  2. Only those who believes in that payment as his subsitute will have eternal life
  3. Those who reject the payment God's wrath remains on him and God calls them a liar.
  4. The opportunity for belief in that payment ends at death
  5. Jesus is the Godman and part of the Deity (Godhead)
a complete list of the true teachings of Christianity is:
Basic Christian teachings

Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 PM

271 posts, read 296,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Jesus
so, you consider me

Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,694,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
so, you consider me
The only true Christian thus far on earth has been Jesus.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM

21,299 posts, read 20,972,532 times
According to Jesus Christ himself, people would be able to recognize His disciples by the love they showed to one another. That's the closest He ever came to defining the word "Christian." Aren't we lucky that today, we have so many people willing to help Him out with a better definition?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,123,362 times
Quote:

Would it be ...

Nice thread, dallasdean!

Personally, I would respond something like this:

All mankind has been justified by Jesus Christ. (Romans 5)
That means no distinctions whatsoever on a "Life" level. We're all in, no matter what religion we belong to, what flag flies over us, or what language we speak.

Having said that, God is showing some people, one here, one there, that their true nature now is Christ, not Adam. The "zoe" life, "God-Life," call it what you will. The final goal: being filled with the fulness of God.
These few people who feel God loving and guiding them, are "Christians." And they love the rest of the world, even as Jesus did, and are ready to give their lives for them, just as He did. They are becoming conformed to His image.

The rest of mankind will finally become just like them, all in good time (God's time!).

"All shall know Me, from the least unto the greatest."

Blessings!
Brian

Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,248,996 times
What is a true Christian...?...according to God's Word?...and not man's...?

"My beloved is mine, and I am his."—Sol. Song 2:16.

"I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine."—Sol. Song 6:3.

"I am my beloved's and his desire is toward me."—Sol. Song 7:10.

These three texts should remind one of three mountain peaks one rising higher than the other until the third is lifted into the very heavens. If one should live in the spirit of this third text he would enjoy what Paul has described as "a life in the heavenly places." These three texts give us a complete picture of a true Christian life. The first text may be regeneration, the second text consecration, and the third text sanctification......

regeneration - Spiritual or moral revival or rebirth.

consecration - The act of being made...declared...and set apart as sacred. Devoted...made holy.

sanctification - 1. To reserve for sacred use; consecrate. 2. To make holy; purify. 3. To give religious sanction to, as with an oath.

...and this ^ and nothing less is a true Christian.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

...remember the word "covenant"...? we read about so often in God's word..?...and how we have a part in keeping it with God...? Well...it absolutely applies here.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,274,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
According to Jesus Christ himself, people would be able to recognize His disciples by the love they showed to one another. That's the closest He ever came to defining the word "Christian." Aren't we lucky that today, we have so many people willing to help Him out with a better definition?
the help are sometimes so full of themselves until it's nauseating...at least we only have deal with some of them here....whoa be unto their families. one can only imagine what they are privy too...i pray for them often.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:14 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,840,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes we are lucky ... fortunatly we the salt havn't lost it's saltiness. That's what salt does, preserves and aggravates an open wound. And we aggravate Satan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
the help are sometimes so full of themselves until it's nauseating...at least we only have deal with some of them here....whoa be unto their families. one can only imagine what they are privy too...i pray for them often.
John 9:31
We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or