U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM
 
3,023 posts, read 2,270,245 times
Reputation: 471

Advertisements

the sabbath is a day of reverence to the Creator God the one that said "i knew you before you were born" and for self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,247,491 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Perhaps this?

John 15:12
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Love is from the Greek "Agapao". This word does not represent an emotional love, but rather a self-sacrificing, obedient fulfilling of duty.

TAKETH NOT ACCOUNT OF EVIL; [Is not resentful and takes no notice of the wrong done to it.]

REJOICETH NOT IN UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, [Love finds no joy in sin.]

BUT REJOICETH WITH THE TRUTH; [It finds great joy in doing God's will.]

HOPETH ALL THINGS, [Love is confident in God's providence in all circumstances.]

ENDURETH ALL THINGS; [Accepts present circumstances as being God's will."]
CAPS 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ASV; [Commentary]

Love is not something that we "feel" for another, but rather, something that we "do" in ourselves. It is the very death of self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Mark 12:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this the FIRST commandment.

Mark 12:31
And the SECOND [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
There is no other commandment greater than these; for in these all the law is fulfilled, and if we make conscience of obedience to these, all other instances of obedience to ALL of the other 8 commandments will follow of course...and if not...you have missed the mark of the High Calling of Jesus Christ in your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
1st John 3:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1st John 4:21
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
Amen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Wasn't He accused of breaking it by mixing spit and mud together?
yes He was accused of that...but He was showing that it is o.k. to heal a brother on the Sabbath...if you would go to rescue a sheep..is not a human being better than a sheep...?...healing is good will shown towards man...this is a good thing in the sight of God.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Wasn't He accused of allowing His disciples to break it by picking grain and eating it.
yes He was accused of that...but He was showing them that it is o.k. to eat on the Sabbath when hungered...(hunger is a need).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
He was accused of healing a man and commanding him to pick up his pallet and walk.
yes He was accused of that...in all the above instances Hot...Jesus was showing the self-righteous, pious, legalistic, yoke-around-the-neck-placers, that the Sabbath was a day to honor God...in doing good for others' well-being.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Yes, Jesus kept His Love for the Father. And yes, Jesus did what the Father willed, even the things above. Jesus' heart was pure, in Love with you, AND the Father. Today, He would break a rule, to make you whole. THAT is love.
YES! He would break a "rule" set forth by legalistic Pharisees, who didn't keep their very own RULES! themselves!...but He would NEVER! break a LAW written by God! on his heart. Never.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Jesus was the ONLY One in the ENTIRE history of the WORLD to honor the Father,out of His LOVE FOR the FATHER, to completely honor and obey them all. Are you now saying you can keep that which only One man has EVER kept, by TRYING to keep them?
Are you saying that no one other than Jesus Christ has honored the Father and shown their love for Him by obeying His Commandments? If so...you are wrong. Prove this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Yes, follow His commands. I reposted them for you. If you follow His commands, then you won't have to worry about breaking a 10 commandment Law, because you will have fulfilled the Law, completely.
that is unless you forsake the Fourth one...then no...you have NOT fulfilled the Law...on those two...HANG ALL TEN.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Romans 13:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Love *does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Understand?
Yes, I do. This love fulfills the Law of Love...it says nothing about breaking the Fourth Commandment..."REMEMBER! to keep the Sabbath holy unto God, and do no work on this day...rest in Him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
So that He could bring forth His Son. You are not Jesus. Therefore, you cannot ever think to obey them, like a servant obeys a master. The Law is not your master, Jesus is.
You're right Hot...I am not Jesus...I've never claimed that I am. But God says to, "...be ye holy as I am holy..." and "If you love Me keep My Commandments"...and I absolutely do keep them in honor of Him!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't tell me what I cannot EVER! think to obey. God's Word tells me I CAN! and I believe Him!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Good luck Verna. I pray the First and Second ones have firmly transformed your heart, because if not? Then even by breaking just 1 commandment written in stone? You have broken them ALL!!!
Thank you, but luck has absolutely NOTHING to do with this Hot...it's FAITH.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Careful now. This is verging on haughtiness. Pride comes before the fall.
so...it's pride and haughtyness to PROCLAIM! the Truth...? yes...I seem to remember where they said this to Jesus too.....remember that...?..more like it is convicting your heart instead...and this is your rebuttal...nope...doesn't work.


Quote:
No I couldn't. I would even TRY to. If perhaps I go without breaking ANY of the commands written on stone, it is because my heart is right with God, and my King. BUT, I do know that I break them, EVERY TIME MY WORRY ABOUT THE WORLD SURFACES, because I HAVE REMOVED GOD FROM BEING MY GOD.
Quote:

"You shall have NO other gods *before Me.

Be it money or finances, employment, family, the Bible, this forum,,,ANYTHING that takes my eyes off the prize.

I don't lust after women. I don't dishonor my parents. I don't covet anything. I honor the Father on the Sabbath, and rest,from my life.

But the FIRST Commandment, is the hardest by far, since I have learned WHAT IT IS. And I break it ALL THE TIME.


Only by being GROUNDED in LOVE, then you can keep, or guard, the commands, out of your heart.
you don't keep the Sabbath holy...say all you want...but you do not keep the Sabbath holy...you transgress the laws of God.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot
Be blessed this fine sabbath day.
I am, thank you...it is a beautiful day in the LORD...


Quote:
Love,

Tony

PS
Did you know the sabbath actually starts at dusk on friday, and ends sat at dusk?
Yes Tony...I think I do know that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Greetings doesntspringtomind......It's a perfect day!

Praise God precious sister...that He has opened your eyes and your heart to receive His Truth...no...you cannot make a mistake whatsoever if you keep the Seventh Day holy unto God as He has commanded those who truly love Him to do. Today you can mark this day as a day of new birth for you...this day you have received the Knowledge of The Truth in Christ Jesus in your heart!...What a day to rejoice!!!...and yes...let the Holy Spirit be your guide into all truth...don't simply take my word for it...search diligently and earnestly with all of your heart...remain steadfast in Him...and He will guide you and lead you in the Way you should go...and your life will be blessed beyond measure...you will come to know God better than you can ever imagine...and what His mercy and grace are really all about...and how He uses them for your good.

Grow in Him child of God...seek first His Kingdom...and all things eternal you desire will be added unto you...blessed are the pure in heart...for they will see His face...Hallelujuah!

I will send you a link to a websight that will help you greatly in your search for truth...I will send it to you by DM...and always remember...I am here for you if you ever need me...it would be my honor.


Grace and Peace to you...

In Christ's love,
Verna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
You know...to be honest...this post scared me. Sorry, but it's the truth.

So the sabbath...a day...is the reason for born again?
No...coming to The Knowledge of The Truth in Christ Jesus, repenting and turning once and for all time! from your old nature to face God and walk in His will for your life...IS! when one is truly born again. A willfull sinner is not born again.



You're still not listening Tony ...thoroughly...but I believe you will...one day...!


In Christ's love...
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 01-22-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,247,491 times
Reputation: 837
The Ten Commandments with their statutes are The Royal Law of God. Through faith, the Psalmist received understanding from them...

Psalms 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD...
is sure, making wise the simple.

Psalms 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

Psalms 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Psalms 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Psalms 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

Psalms 19:12 Who can understand his ERRORS? cleanse thou me from SECRET FAULTS.

We must obey everything that we know to be the truth. The apostle John called that "walking in the light." We cannot understand our errors until the Holy Spirit exposes them through THE TRUTH OF GOD'S LAW: "Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and THY LAW IS THE TRUTH." Psalms 119:142

We either “walk in darkness” or we “walk in the light” Here, the apostle John is teaching us how to discern a false teacher:

“If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and DO NOT THE TRUTH.” 1 John 1:6

False teachers say they have fellowship with God. They say “Jesus is Lord” yet they have become unsuspecting servants of Satan, the great deceiver. Here are some of the distortions they use to undermine The law of God:

“No one ever kept the commandments perfectly.”
“Jesus has fulfilled the law for us.”
“We are not under the law.”
“The law is only for the Jews.”

Those twistings of scripture are simply excuses for sin; pleasant words for itching ears. If a teacher DOES NOT OBEY THE TRUTH, he is “walking in darkness.”

Friends, After we have been justified [forgiven] freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. (See Romans 3:24-25) Our past sins are forgiven --now, we must walk in the light.

“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin* … If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:7;9

"sin"--In his writing, John makes a clear distinction between sins of ignorance and presumptuous sin. Notice in the verses above that he did not say COMMIT SIN; because he was referring to errors or sins of ignorance that can be forgiven through the atonement of the blood of Jesus Christ. In contrast, John speaks of presumptuous sin of rebellion here: “He that COMMITTETH SIN is of the devil “Whosoever is born of God does not COMMIT SIN” 1 John 3:8;9

The scriptures teach us the difference between sins of ignorance (errors) and presumptuous sins of rebellion that cannot be forgiven. The Psalmist, with the eyes of faith, continues with his prayer to His LORD seeing Him as His Strength and Redeemer.:

Psalms 19:13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

Psalms 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.


Amen.



In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
 
5,441 posts, read 4,680,984 times
Reputation: 1120
Under the New Covenant, simply not going to work does not keep the Sabbath holy; that was God's requirement under the OT for Israel. But under the New Covenant, it's entering into Jesus' rest of holiness and righteousness, perpetually. So, it's not just for the Sabbath day, but all 7 days of the week, 24 hours of the day and 365 days of the year. It's perpetual holiness before the Lord.

Without holiness, no one will see the Lord. Be ye holy, for the Lord is holy. This is why Jesus came to earth, to make sons and daughters of God in holiness and righteousness through the power in His shed blood; this is the New Covenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 04:55 PM
 
701 posts, read 659,512 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Under the New Covenant, simply not going to work does not keep the Sabbath holy; that was God's requirement under the OT for Israel. But under the New Covenant, it's entering into Jesus' rest of holiness and righteousness, perpetually. So, it's not just for the Sabbath day, but all 7 days of the week, 24 hours of the day and 365 days of the year. It's perpetual holiness before the Lord.

Without holiness, no one will see the Lord. Be ye holy, for the Lord is holy. This is why Jesus came to earth, to make sons and daughters of God in holiness and righteousness through the power in His shed blood; this is the New Covenant.
You need to go back and read Genesis, and then Exodus 20 again. The Sabbath is one of the few things still existence that predates sin on this earth let alone anyone called an Israelite. The Sabbath was established at creation. God made a specific 24 hr period of time holy. People can spout all the mumbo jumbo they want about resting in Christ every day of the week and all that, but the fact remains, that it was God that set aside one SPECIFIC day, not solely for the Israelites after the Exodus, but from the beginning of time for all of humanity.

Simply not going to work didn't keep the day holy in the OT or the NT. Isaiah 58:13-14 makes clear what keeping the day holy is all about. " 13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the LORD’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

It is about delighting yourself in the Lord, and turning away from that which is focused on self. He wants you to focus on Him, and in His creative power, and allow Him to rejuvenate/restore you. The only part of the 10C I ever here Christians break into song about declaring a "New Covenant" is the part about the day God specified in the 10C. Never hear any "that was the old covenant" talk from them about any of the other 9. The New Covenant was not new from the sense of an agreement or contract being rewritten, it was a renewing of an existing contract or covenant. Can someone please tell me of a single person in OT history who was ever saved by keeping the 10C? Anyone............? Anyone..........? Bueller....? Bueller? I'll save you the time, there wasn't one. Every person in the old testament was saved through faith in Christ, not by any work they did. Grace is not something that was introduced at Calvary, grace has existed as long as mankind's need for it has existed. Grace put clothes on Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and let them know that all was not lost. the greatest thing that Christ brought to an end at Calvary, was what was always to be temporary (that is why it was never carved in stone), and that is the daily sacrifices and burnt offerings. Christ was the final sacrifice, so that after Calvary it was no longer necessary to offer a burnt offering, as an EXPRESSION of your repentance, and an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of your need of Christ. You see, the Israelites were never forgiven/saved because of their sacrifice/burnt offering, they were saved because of their faith in Christ, that He would come. Today, we have the everlasting sacrifice of Calvary, and have been freed of the burden of having to stand in a long line with a sacrifice that indicates the size of our sin, and then publicly present that sacrifice to the priest, and all the rest that went along with that process. Today we can simply bow our heads and accept into our hearts the blood of Calvary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM
 
701 posts, read 659,512 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
For several scriptural reasons:

  • James 2:10
    For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
  • Romans 3:21
    But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known,
  • Romans 3:28
    For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.
People enter heaven by being declared justified, not by becoming it through partial obedience.


Attempting it through the law requires 100% obedience...all the time. The result of this effort:
Galatians 5:4
"You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."


This isn't a case of God's word leaving one
Never did I say that salvation is gained through keeping the law. Salvation has never been attained through anything other than the grace of Christ as displayed at Calvary. Before Christ a person was saved through faith in the blood of Christ, after Christ salvation is sill through faith in the blood of Christ. When did I ever say that it was the law that justifies? the law does nothing but show us our need of salvation and grace. If the law did not stand today just as it stood then, then what need would we have of salvation or grace? what would we stand in violation of? What would we need salvation from? Christ tells us to "KEEP his commandments" He isn't speaking of our behavior so much as He is speaking about our attitudes and state of mind and He also made it clear that we need not attempt to keep them on our own. He tells us that we can do ALL things through Christ. If a person breaks one commandment then he has broken them all, but that does not mean that, because one has been broken once, that all the others are now thrown out. Keeping the 10C is a perpetual attitude of understanding that the 10C are God's direct words to His people written by His very own finger, and we should all strive to follow ALL 10 with every breath we take. Will we stumble? Certainly, but through the grace of God we can get up and resume striving to keep ALL 10, not in order to earn our salvation but because we know we have been saved.

Imagine you are racing down the road with another car, weaving in/out of traffic and exceeding 100mph. Cop pulls you over, writes you a warning and lets you go. When you pull out and follow the speed limit all the way home, do you then walk into your house and think "I didn't go to jail because I followed the speed limit the rest of the way home" ? No, you fall to your knees and thank God for the grace that was shown, because you know that you could have been arrested and had your car impounded. So, from that day on you are always more cognizant of what the posted speed limit is, and do your very best to follow it, not in order to avoid prison (you already belong in prison for the racing from before), you do it because of the abundant love and respect you now have for the one who pardoned you. Even if you lived the rest of your life, never violating another law ever again, could you attribute reaching the end of your life without ever going to prison, to anything you did? No, because the only reason your life was permitted to continue as normal, was because of the Grace shown by the One who pardoned you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
 
5,441 posts, read 4,680,984 times
Reputation: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
You need to go back and read Genesis, and then Exodus 20 again. The Sabbath is one of the few things still existence that predates sin on this earth let alone anyone called an Israelite. The Sabbath was established at creation. God made a specific 24 hr period of time holy. People can spout all the mumbo jumbo they want about resting in Christ every day of the week and all that, but the fact remains, that it was God that set aside one SPECIFIC day, not solely for the Israelites after the Exodus, but from the beginning of time for all of humanity.

Simply not going to work didn't keep the day holy in the OT or the NT. Isaiah 58:13-14 makes clear what keeping the day holy is all about. " 13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the LORD’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

It is about delighting yourself in the Lord, and turning away from that which is focused on self. He wants you to focus on Him, and in His creative power, and allow Him to rejuvenate/restore you.
I'm glad that you consecrate yourself to the Lord. For others, that's what fasting does.

As to the Sabbath, like many other things in the OT, they were a shadow of things to come. If, however, you want to keep the Sabbath, i.e., not working, consecration and so forth, then that is between you and God; but, you do err when imposing it upon others. I stand on God's Word.

Colossians 2
[13] And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
[14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
[16] Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
[17] Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,583,231 times
Reputation: 1584
I was thinking about the Sabbath day rest and it occurred to me that if no one used any energy for 24 hours out of every week, it would probably go a long way to make our environment cleaner. It would cut out 1/7th of the pollution going into the atmosphere. Has anyone considered that before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
 
3,582 posts, read 460,853 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
I'm glad that you consecrate yourself to the Lord. For others, that's what fasting does.

As to the Sabbath, like many other things in the OT, they were a shadow of things to come. If, however, you want to keep the Sabbath, i.e., not working, consecration and so forth, then that is between you and God; but, you do err when imposing it upon others. I stand on God's Word.

Colossians 2
[13] And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
[14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
[16] Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
[17] Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
and also Romans 14:-
Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Rom 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Rom 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Rom 14:15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
Rom 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
Rom 14:18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
Rom 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
Rom 14:20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Rom 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,247,491 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
You need to go back and read Genesis, and then Exodus 20 again. The Sabbath is one of the few things still existence that predates sin on this earth let alone anyone called an Israelite. The Sabbath was established at creation. God made a specific 24 hr period of time holy. People can spout all the mumbo jumbo they want about resting in Christ every day of the week and all that, but the fact remains, that it was God that set aside one SPECIFIC day, not solely for the Israelites after the Exodus, but from the beginning of time for all of humanity.

Simply not going to work didn't keep the day holy in the OT or the NT. Isaiah 58:13-14 makes clear what keeping the day holy is all about. " 13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the LORD’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

It is about delighting yourself in the Lord, and turning away from that which is focused on self. He wants you to focus on Him, and in His creative power, and allow Him to rejuvenate/restore you. The only part of the 10C I ever here Christians break into song about declaring a "New Covenant" is the part about the day God specified in the 10C. Never hear any "that was the old covenant" talk from them about any of the other 9. The New Covenant was not new from the sense of an agreement or contract being rewritten, it was a renewing of an existing contract or covenant. Can someone please tell me of a single person in OT history who was ever saved by keeping the 10C? Anyone............? Anyone..........? Bueller....? Bueller? I'll save you the time, there wasn't one. Every person in the old testament was saved through faith in Christ, not by any work they did. Grace is not something that was introduced at Calvary, grace has existed as long as mankind's need for it has existed. Grace put clothes on Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and let them know that all was not lost. the greatest thing that Christ brought to an end at Calvary, was what was always to be temporary (that is why it was never carved in stone), and that is the daily sacrifices and burnt offerings. Christ was the final sacrifice, so that after Calvary it was no longer necessary to offer a burnt offering, as an EXPRESSION of your repentance, and an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of your need of Christ. You see, the Israelites were never forgiven/saved because of their sacrifice/burnt offering, they were saved because of their faith in Christ, that He would come. Today, we have the everlasting sacrifice of Calvary, and have been freed of the burden of having to stand in a long line with a sacrifice that indicates the size of our sin, and then publicly present that sacrifice to the priest, and all the rest that went along with that process. Today we can simply bow our heads and accept into our hearts the blood of Calvary.
...Amen!

[quote=HalfNelson;17532849]Never did I say that salvation is gained through keeping the law. Salvation has never been attained through anything other than the grace of Christ as displayed at Calvary. Before Christ a person was saved through faith in the blood of Christ, after Christ salvation is sill through faith in the blood of Christ. When did I ever say that it was the law that justifies? the law does nothing but show us our need of salvation and grace. If the law did not stand today just as it stood then, then what need would we have of salvation or grace? what would we stand in violation of? What would we need salvation from? Christ tells us to "KEEP his commandments" He isn't speaking of our behavior so much as He is speaking about our attitudes and state of mind and He also made it clear that we need not attempt to keep them on our own. He tells us that we can do ALL things through Christ. If a person breaks one commandment then he has broken them all, but that does not mean that, because one has been broken once, that all the others are now thrown out. Keeping the 10C is a perpetual attitude of understanding that the 10C are God's direct words to His people written by His very own finger, and we should all strive to follow ALL 10 with every breath we take. Will we stumble? Certainly, but through the grace of God we can get up and resume striving to keep ALL 10, not in order to earn our salvation but because we know we have been saved.

Imagine you are racing down the road with another car, weaving in/out of traffic and exceeding 100mph. Cop pulls you over, writes you a warning and lets you go. When you pull out and follow the speed limit all the way home, do you then walk into your house and think "I didn't go to jail because I followed the speed limit the rest of the way home" ? No, you fall to your knees and thank God for the grace that was shown, because you know that you could have been arrested and had your car impounded. So, from that day on you are always more cognizant of what the posted speed limit is, and do your very best to follow it, not in order to avoid prison (you already belong in prison for the racing from before), you do it because of the abundant love and respect you now have for the one who pardoned you. Even if you lived the rest of your life, never violating another law ever again, could you attribute reaching the end of your life without ever going to prison, to anything you did? No, because the only reason your life was permitted to continue as normal, was because of the Grace shown by the One who pardoned you.[/quote]

... and Amen!

God Bless you brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top