U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 2,287,955 times
Reputation: 330

Advertisements

If the Catholic Church says the Sabbath Day is on Sunday, then it's on Sunday. Keys, and all.

Excerpt from: http://bibleprobe.com/sundayworship.htm

Ignatius of Antioch (Letter to the Magnesians 9 [A.D. 107]):

(Sunday is often spoken of as "the Christian Sabbath," but this is not a technical description. Sunday is not a strict replacement for the Sabbath, but a day the Catholic Church (Early Church) instituted to fulfill a parallel function.) Thus Ignatius of Antioch, the earliest Church Father to address this question, states that Christian converts "have given up keeping the Sabbath and now order their lives by the Lord's Day instead, the day when life first dawned for us, thanks to him [Christ] and his death."

Last edited by juj; 01-22-2011 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
 
1,837 posts, read 1,589,340 times
Reputation: 297
After posting this I got on the bus for a two and a half day trip to where I am now living and on that Holy Sabbath day I prayed for God to use this thread and send someone to the thread to speak the truth concerning this. Verna Perry, you are the answer to that prayer and I praise God for you. It also looks as if we have Gabfest and Doesntspring to mind as well. The fact of the matter is Christ did reference this. The scriptures you posted about obedience is the truth. And I also find it very interesting that I haven't seen anyone that speaks against it here even ponder why Christ did in fact make that reference. There is a reason the Holy Spirit allowed and in fact made sure that that Word from Christ is in the Gospel. Christ also said that nothing about the Ten Commandments would ever change - not one jot or tittle. This could very well be what "marks" God's children in the book of Revelation.

The ones who changed it to Sunday accually put people to death who refused. Doesn't take rocket science.

And no, it's not salvation by works! We do not recieve salvation by works, but of course this is evidence of our salvation.

Verna Perry, you are very blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
 
1,837 posts, read 1,589,340 times
Reputation: 297
Wow, I just realized there are more than three of us!!! Yay. The Father is sending his angels around the world with this message right now as we speak to mark God's children.

Also, if you have to work I would think it can be justified if every penny made on that day goes to the Kingdom of God, however you may do that. Pray that you don't have to, but if you do then if every cent made goes to God I would think that would be ok. Please don't write that in stone though But think about it, if you gave God the same amount of money you made on that day, accounting for the paid taxes and all, I'd think that would be just as Christ would do. But you'd have to also pay extra since the government takes taxes out. Just give to God the exact amount you made for that day... Friday at sundown - Saturday at sundown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
 
1,837 posts, read 1,589,340 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I was thinking about the Sabbath day rest and it occurred to me that if no one used any energy for 24 hours out of every week, it would probably go a long way to make our environment cleaner. It would cut out 1/7th of the pollution going into the atmosphere. Has anyone considered that before?
Wow, brilliant. And this reminds me of the Sabbath year. God commanded us to let the land rest and that also makes rejuvenates the land so it can be fruitfull. When you don't do this it causes problems. Gotta love the master of science!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
 
335 posts, read 194,961 times
Reputation: 38
Hebrews 4:9 - "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the sabbath."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,248,996 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
After posting this I got on the bus for a two and a half day trip to where I am now living and on that Holy Sabbath day I prayed for God to use this thread and send someone to the thread to speak the truth concerning this. Verna Perry, you are the answer to that prayer and I praise God for you. It also looks as if we have Gabfest and Doesntspring to mind as well. The fact of the matter is Christ did reference this. The scriptures you posted about obedience is the truth. And I also find it very interesting that I haven't seen anyone that speaks against it here even ponder why Christ did in fact make that reference. There is a reason the Holy Spirit allowed and in fact made sure that that Word from Christ is in the Gospel. Christ also said that nothing about the Ten Commandments would ever change - not one jot or tittle. This could very well be what "marks" God's children in the book of Revelation.

The ones who changed it to Sunday accually put people to death who refused. Doesn't take rocket science.

And no, it's not salvation by works! We do not recieve salvation by works, but of course this is evidence of our salvation.

Verna Perry, you are very blessed!
I am blessed by God...to Him be all the glory...all the honor and all the praise. Amen.

Oh...and Ducky......be sure that you follow this commandment...keeping the Sabbath holy unto God...as much as you keep all the other 9...to break one is to break them all...if you knowingly/willfully break any one of these commandments, you transgress the law of God...you are a willfull sinner..not a child of God...not repentant, not changed into the character of Christ and not born-again...a willfull sinner is a child of the devil.......so...as referenced below, about when you say, "...if you have to work I would think it can be justified if every penny made on that day goes to the Kingdom of God, however you may do that. Pray that you don't have to, but if you do then if every cent made goes to God I would think that would be ok..."...lol......I must warn you...No. It is NOT o.k. to work on the Sabbath...at all. Working on the Sabbath CANNOT be justified. God said..."Remember the Sabbath...to keep it holy unto God...and do no work on this day." <--and He means just that...


May God bless you and keep you Ducky...in His truth...study hard...be diligent and earnest in your seeking His very heart and will for your life.


In Christ's love for you...
Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Wow, I just realized there are more than three of us!!! Yay. The Father is sending his angels around the world with this message right now as we speak to mark God's children.

Also, if you have to work I would think it can be justified if every penny made on that day goes to the Kingdom of God, however you may do that. Pray that you don't have to, but if you do then if every cent made goes to God I would think that would be ok. Please don't write that in stone though But think about it, if you gave God the same amount of money you made on that day, accounting for the paid taxes and all, I'd think that would be just as Christ would do. But you'd have to also pay extra since the government takes taxes out. Just give to God the exact amount you made for that day... Friday at sundown - Saturday at sundown.
.....oh dear............I will keep you in my prayers Ducky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM
 
11 posts, read 11,301 times
Reputation: 17
it is what is in our hearts that matters.. and god alone sees what is there.. no man can see the depths of anothers heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM
 
3,584 posts, read 462,947 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
Hebrews 4:9 - "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the sabbath."
????

Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
Heb 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Seventh Day == Jewish sabbath

Those that it was first preached to did not enter because of unbelief (except I personally think it is unfaithfulness)

There is another day, I believe that this is resting in Christ as Saviour, and not looking to physical days, we are to look to the Spirit .... and not the flesh......


Physical Israel had their judgment dealt to them in 70 AD ---- there is now a new heaven and earth, the new covenant.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM
 
Location: US
26,413 posts, read 14,013,122 times
Reputation: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
I know that Christ rebuked the Pharisees for thier accusations against him working on the Sabbath Day but he never denied the Sabbath Day or said that anything was going to change about it. In fact when asked how to recieve eternal life he often spoke of obeying the Ten Direct Commandments of God. In response to them the only thing he said was things like, wouldn't you rescue your ox, or, haven't you read - it's ok for the priests on duty to work on the Sabbath Day. Perhaps the most evident scripture from Christ himself of the modern day Seventh Day Sabbath is:

Matthew 24
20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the electís sake those days will be shortened.

Why did the Sabbath Day change? Constantine changed it, and He accually ordered the deaths of those who refused to change to the first day of the week instead of the seventh. Now, who are we supposed to follow - Christ or Constantine? Just the fact that Constantine ordered the Seventh Day Sabbath keepers deaths tells me he didn't even know God.

Be Blessed,
Yahuchannon
Where does God say the Sabbath is a certain day?...He says '6 days shalt thou work' and then what?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,248,996 times
Reputation: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where does God say the Sabbath is a certain day?...He says '6 days shalt thou work' and then what?...


Sabbath - n. 1. The seventh day of the week, Saturday, named in the Ten Commandments as the day of rest and worship and observed as such by the Jews and some Christian sects.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English language

The First day of the week: Sunday;
The Second day of the week: Monday;
The Third Day of the week: Tuesday;
The Fourth Day of the week: Wednesday;
The Fifth day of the week: Thursday;
The Sixth day of the week: Friday;
The Seventh day of the week: Saturday...The Sabbath Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top