Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,650,339 times

Advertisements

When I gave my life to Jesus my whole world and how I view it changed.

I no longer live of this world or it's teachings. My spirit is filled with His holiness. It guides me in life.

Does this mean I don't screw up? No, I do each and every day, but I get convicted of these sins and come to Him for forgiveness.

When I accepted Jesus as my savior, and publicly announced it by being baptized in His name, I was born again in my spirit.

Every breath I take is His, everything I do in this life on Earth is done through His blood. I am His and He is in me.

How can I explain that becoming His was the most wonderful experience I could ever hope for?

I could never deny Him, nor cheat on HIm with another religion. It is simply not who I am.

I don't know any other way to explain this so you can understand. I sincerely wish I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:04 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,744,448 times
Mooseketeer, no disrespect, but travelling is quite different than living in and attending school in another country. I have never experienced proselytizing of any sort in my travels. On the flip side, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a tourist here who would tell you they've been preached to by Christians.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:04 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,650,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
Do you honestly believe that condemning other religions is a way to entice people to your own religion?

I now understand why a lot of people don't get along in the world.

Condemn a person if he doesn't share your views!

What a vitriolic philosophy of life.

Not condemning the person, never that.

But it is not my job to 'entice' people to do anything.

My job is to tell people of Jesus Christ. That is the good news.

Jesus is the only way, and therefore Jesus is the one who will go after a persons heart.

I'm sorry you feel this way. It's your choice to not believe. But as I said before, I will not compromise my faith or salvation to please people.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,791,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I hear thunder.

I agree with this to an extent, but I wouldn't go so far as to call "the rest" a bunch of bunk. I do think that the Bible has been subjected and written by imperfect and fallible man. It's obvious that personal agendas have snuck in. But there are many spirituals truths to be found in the Bible.

I believe Jesus came to save the world, and accomplished just that. God's perfect will is for someone to acknowledge and accept that work in this life and walk in God's promises and blessings. So, it's good to share this knowledge, and the best way to start is by showing love, as Jesus said to do.
You're right Jeff, "bunch" was a strong word. But the more I learn, the more I just don't get it. I seriously don't get it. I've never been a "doctrine" kind of person, be it in the form of religion, school work, government, or employment. I feel God created me the way I am, and that was with a free mind with free will, not to be his little "concubine". What would be the purpose of life? Why would we be given choices then?

I just seriously find it hard to believe that he would have a hand in creating Billions of human beings on this planet, and then set up the system like a country club where you have to be the right culture and follow the right doctrine to be allowed back in.

But that stems from the fact that, as I said, I use my religion about 20% of the time to help me make my way through this life, while I let the other 80% come from interactions with other people, love of friends and family, reading, watching and studying art and science, listening to all kinds of music, photography, hobbies, and on and on. Do I feel like I have a "pit" that needs to be filled by immersing myself MORE in religion? Not a bit. Do I feel like I could do more to make the world a better place? Sure I do, and I volunteer my time as much as possible in not only church related activities but also non-church related activities. I understand God gave me and my wife talents and gifts that not many people have, and that I feel obligated to share those gifts with others. Not keep them for myself or for just those who believe as I do, and not to use them to try and convert people to my religion (maybe to my viewpoint, but that's another topic). I also am not afraid to voice my concerns that I think alienation of other people and other religions is a bad thing, no matter if it is a Christian or a Muslim doing it.

As to the post WAAYYY back about the PETA person and the cattle rancher, am I the only one who thinks it would be beneficial for the two to be friends, or at least try to truly UNDERSTAND where the other is coming from and respect that?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 AM

434 posts, read 1,650,658 times
I studied a ton of religions in college from an academic perspective based on their history, ancient Greek and Roman beliefs, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Stoicism, Agnosticism, and the major Japanese religions. I just can't see someone being so scared of words that they are afraid to find out information.

I would be disappointed if my kids only learned about one religion because no religion has thus far been scientifically proven to be the right one.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
We are commanded to have no others before Him, therefore I see no need of learning about other religions at this state in my life.
I understand all your other points, but this is the point that eludes me.

Learning about other religions does not put others before Him. It can be very beneficial and rewarding to your faith. I can understand where you don't want to confuse or mislead children; that makes sense. But the priests and pastors I know all have very detailed knowledge of other religions, and it helps them understand Christianity.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 AM

358 posts, read 914,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would personally have never considered teaching the tenets of other religions to my son. I am a believer in Christianity and that's what I wanted him to believe as well. That said, in high school one of his courses in world history, I think, did cover a sampling of the doctrines of the world's main religions including Christianity. I had no objection to that. Though, looking back on it, maybe I should have.
It's sad that you do not value a well-rounded education. Again, the subject is educating children about various religions. A child who grows up with ignorance of other religions is simply an uneducated child.

It's quite unfortunate that several people are scared about their children learning about others who may think differently than they do. Those children are in for a rude awakening when they venture past their own frontyards.

My philosophy is to arm my children with education and the knowledge of how to think for themselves.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,744,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I understand all your other points, but this is the point that eludes me.

Learning about other religions does not put others before Him. It can be very beneficial and rewarding to your faith. I can understand where you don't want to confuse or mislead children; that makes sense. But the priests and pastors I know all have very detailed knowledge of other religions, and it helps them understand Christianity.
I agree with you. I think avoiding talk about other religions can be a recipe for disaster. We're not afraid here to talk of other faiths. Those discussions are great teaching moments in our house. After all, we don't live in a bubble. I'd rather be the one to answer my kids' questions than someone else.

I would never do any in depth teaching of another religion, though. Not many people of other faiths would either, I suspect.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,226,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
It's sad that you do not value a well-rounded education. Again, the subject is educating children about various religions. A child who grows up with ignorance of other religions is simply an uneducated child.

It's quite unfortunate that several people are scared about their children learning about others who may think differently than they do. Those children are in for a rude awakening when they venture past their own frontyards.

My philosophy is to arm my children with education and the knowledge of how to think for themselves.
Well, I don't value "education" just for the sake of "education." Particularly where my child was concerned, I valued his exposure to what I believe to be "truth" and that is, of course, IMO, Christianity. As for learning to think for himself, I didn't have to teach him to think for himself. He learned that quite well on his own.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM

401 posts, read 684,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
In response to another thread, maybe we can discuss why some feel that allowing other religions into ones life after becoming a Christian can be referred to as "whoring" around.

That depends on several things, one is just how close of a relationship you are planning. I became a Christian well after I married my atheist husband. And I know from personal experience that being married to someone who is a completely different faith can be a BIG problem. The Bible says we should not be unequally yoked.

If you are talking about the people who come to your door uninvited in an effort to convert you. That depends if you are the kind of person who has to search the house every Sunday for you Bible because you haven't seen it since last Sunday letting them come in the house could be dangerous to your faith, but if you know your Bible go ahead let them in.

But usually I see know problem letting people of other faiths come into my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity