Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
What do you all think?
Most people are misled.

Truth is a constant. Truth is eternal. There is only one Truth. Besides all the religions of the world, just look at the 35,000+ denominations of Christianity. Can they all be right? IMPOSSIBLE!

You want Truth? Go to the Church that Jesus created and predates the Bible by almost 400 years, the Church built on Peter the Rock who was given the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, the Church that determined what writings would be included in the Bible, the Church that Jesus said He would protect forever, the only Church with Jesus given Authority, the Catholic Church.

It feels good to be home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
What do you all think?
Yes, I think you can be mislead by your beliefs. Especially if your beliefs were handed down and drilled into your head. Very harmful indeed.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes, I think you can be mislead by your beliefs. Especially if your beliefs were handed down and drilled into your head. Very harmful indeed.
Yea...very harmful that parents teach their children
Deuteronomy 4:9
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them

Deuteronomy 11:19
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
This thread made me think of something that happened to me recently.

I was leaving my best friend's apartment in Brooklyn late one night and I was driving. I was closely following my GPS because I'm not used to driving yet - especially in Brooklyn. I'm used to taking the subway! Anyway, I was stopped at a red light and when the light turned green, this car came up behind me, swerved around me, and passed me. The street was only one lane each way - and I was so mad!!! I thought, "How reckless and stupid that guy is! He couldn't wait for me to go so he swerved around me! Crazy driver!!!" Anyway, after another block or so - the car pulled into the left hand turn lane next to me. I saw that they guy had his kid in the car with him - and I was even angrier! How unsafe for him to be driving like that with a kid in the car!!! As I glanced over there again, the kid was motioning me to roll down my window. I was still angry but I rolled down my window. The kid said, "Your lights are off." Ooops. My bad. The guy had gone around me not because he was in such a hurry but because he thought I was stopped because my lights were off. Brooklyn was so lit up that I hadn't noticed that my lights were off!!! I felt like an IDIOT!!!!

Oh - and I thanked the kid profusely!!!
Anyway, it just made me realize that we are all wrong sometimes - even when we think that someone else is wrong... Sometimes it's us! It was a good lesson for me to learn - very humbling!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yea...very harmful that parents teach their children
Deuteronomy 4:9
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them

Deuteronomy 11:19
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

This is speaking about talking about God to your children and teaching them in the proper way. It says nothing about brainwashing and browbeating and physically torturing when the child doesn't obey or disagrees. You think you have the answer to everything don't you?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How anyone can believe that the evil hierarchy of the Catholic Church over the millennia to this very day could possibly have anything to do with Christ is beyond me. Read the history of that evil hierarchy and educate yourself.
While I agree with this to a large extent, I don't like to bash with a broad brush my Catholic brothers and sisters. I could have been born Catholic myself, and if I were, I'd probably be defending the Catholic church. I sometimes wonder why God has allowed so much horrible stuff to be done in the name of Christ - it tries my soul. And that certainly is not limited to the Catholic church by any means. There is so much darkness in the world it is stunning at times.

The people who lived in darkness have seen a bright light. A light has risen for those who live in a land overshadowed by death."
From then on, Jesus began to tell people, "Turn to God and change the way you think and act, because the kingdom of heaven is near!" - Matthew 4:16-17

Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
This is speaking about talking about God to your children and teaching them in the proper way. It says nothing about brainwashing and browbeating and physically torturing when the child doesn't obey or disagrees.
Who said anything about browbeating or torture? This is about the fact that people are going to get mislead. The unloving thing to do is not to care because some think that by "abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons" that God is still going to have fuzzy warm reactions to them any way.

Doctrine matters......
1 Timothy 4:1, 16
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.............Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Quote:
You think you have the answer to everything don't you?

And who's idea is it that teaches the message that those who don't preserve and watch doctrine closely that God will still save anyway ?
1 Timothy 4:1,16

Yea Ilene....it's amazing that those who speak for the truth seems to be so closed minded. We just "know it all".

Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 AM

525 posts, read 347,828 times
O-Ducky,

re: "Yahushua the Messiah came to teach us, and be the sacrifice for our sins - suffering our punishment."

What punishment is the Messiah suffering that would otherwise have to be suffered by us?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Yes, I believe one can be misled..... an unbelieving or doubtful heart will be tossed to and fro....

But those who believe, born again in Christ.... trust His promises, and the Helper the Holy Spirit who lives in the believer will not allow the sons/daughters of God to be misled and falter by false teaching.
I agree. I see some people "shop around" to see if one belief system makes more sense than another, and then they pick the one they are most comfortable with. Once you are born again, the Holy Spirit will guide you the truth. It is not a matter reading an article, or asking someone's opinon about a Greek translation, it is a matter of allowing the Spirit lead you to the truth.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times
Aaaah... sharing beliefs with others is the better way not to be misled. But we are misled by the closed energy system of life on Earth also. Believing in money debt can be in regard to the inflation racket and that we apply the good will principle of Kant. It is inevitable that moral people can hope for confidence in economy by the values of reliable work, but not necessarily demanding reliable work form Others (mea culpa). So thus ends the point that energy is a psychic quality for the less moral trying to be moral. I think that's what the Republican's want on the neo-liberal agenda of presumption the the rich can invest their wealth into wasteful activity of Energy development. Just because it's matter does not mean it is decidedly influential of others' socio-economic projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity