Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times

Advertisements

I'm having a little trouble sleeping so I thought I would post a thread about what is near and dear to my heart. There's been a lot of problems between the fundies and UR's and it's just not right....in the sense that one side is showing hatred and the other nothing but love. That speaks volumes to me and I'd like to post something that I shared in another thread:

I'd like to take a moment and clarify my beliefs. It's been a long, hard road to come to the belief of Universalism and as I type I cry. Universalism is not the enemy here, we are our own enemies. Satan is not the enemy, we are. How in the world could anyone think something as wonderful as the good news of universal reconciliation is bad news? Really think about it people, what exactly are you holding onto? Is it truth? Or is it the worst lie ever told? Really think before you react.

Now and then, when it's convenient, people express love on this board. That's what it's all about, LOVE. I don't care if you call me a hippie because I say that.....then you're calling God Himself a hippie because Jesus Christ said it, not me. He said to love God and each other. People who are steeped in religious garbage, bogged down by years of wrong teaching, can't see it. They can't feel it. They can't touch it. They can't smell it. They can't hear it. It eludes them. I know, I've been where they are. Can I make a suggestion?

Please, please, please go to a place where you can be close to God and nature, with no people around. Sit there and meditate, meditate on God and your surroundings. There's nothing wrong with meditating either. Don't try to hand me that it's some kind of new age stuff. It's been around for centuries and it's called being still and knowing that He is God...directly from the pages of the Bible. I don't think enough people actually do this, they're so caught up in their everyday lives and afraid to be alone and go anywhere by themselves. Just hop in the car and go. Don't tell anyone where you're going, you've got a cell phone don't you?

Look, the little trip I took to a mountaintop all by myself is what started me on the journey to the truth. It's out there, but you'll never find it clinging to ancient beliefs that bruise the mind and soul. It's truly a good thing to clear your mind and sit in silence in the presence of God's beauty. It will do wonders for anyone spiritually and you might come away with a clear and open mind. At least open enough to stop all this condemning of fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
I very much appreciated your words.
And I am very thankful that I live on a mountain for that specific reason.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I very much appreciated your words.
And I am very thankful that I live on a mountain for that specific reason.
Thanks Jerwade, living on a mountain must be awesome!! I'm surrounded by them and it doesn't take me long to get to one of them but I don't live on one. I love the ocean but the mountains rock!!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,158 times
great post,well-said

does anyone recall Star Trek:Wrath of Khan? I thought it was an excellent example of Universalism, from 'Project Genesis' to Spock chosing to die because 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one.

Notice that Spock didn't require anything of anyone in order for them to be saved from death...he just did what he had to do,and the entire ship was spared from certain disaster.

And in the sequel,Spock was 'resurrected' by Capt Kirk,via Project Genesis..

And so it goes...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
great post,well-said

does anyone recall Star Trek:Wrath of Khan? I thought it was an excellent example of Universalism, from 'Project Genesis' to Spock chosing to die because 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one.

Notice that Spock didn't require anything of anyone in order for them to be saved from death...he just did what he had to do,and the entire ship was spared from certain disaster.

And in the sequel,Spock was 'resurrected' by Capt Kirk,via Project Genesis..

And so it goes...
Hey that's a really good analogy, never thought of it in those terms. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, not a trekkie but a fan nonetheless, my favorite all time episode of the original series is "The Trouble with Tribbles"....."nobody here except us chickens"....classic.

And you're right........."And so it goes". Make it so, #1.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 AM

LOL ,there was no

"He's dead,Jim", for Spock at least not permanently.

did you know you can get the tribbles on amazon? they even make li'l noises.a co-worker of my husb's brought one into work.very cute.

Last edited by SC122; 01-24-2011 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Ilene , i agree and I am a practicing Lutheran. (ELCA)
I do think that there is a dark force but I reject the doctrine of eternal damnation.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
LOL ,there was no

"He's dead,Jim", for Spock

did you know you can get the tribbles on amazon? they even make li'l noises.a co-worker of my husb's brought one into work.very cute.
Hahaha lol no I didn't know you could get tribbles on Amazon!! That's so funny!! OH, I HAVE to get one of those!! Thanks SC!!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Ilene , i agree and I am a practicing Lutheran. (ELCA)
I do think that there is a dark force but I reject the doctrine of eternal damnation.
REALLY??? Wow!! I know a Lutheran on here you need to talk to!! LOL! I think there is a dark force also, but he does not win, Jesus Christ wins.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 AM

Please watch this one,VERY interesting,IMO.I think it shows that Jesus died for everyone.Something *very special* happened to the *entire universe,at the moment Jesus was risen.start around time mark 3:25,or just watch thru..it's all interesting.

Particle Physicist examines the Shroud of Turin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2_wMM_rdUE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity