U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,848,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
What exactly is a "New Ager" and where does that term come from?

When someone calls another person a "New Ager" are they being sarcastic? Complimentary? Is it biblical?

I have heard this term used many times in reference to many beliefs/doctrines including Christianity ..

Thanks all
New Age isn't "new" .... it's Eastern mysticism repackaged.

Mystical enlightenment means that you discover truth within yourself rather than look for revelation of truth outside yourself. Everything in life is either evolved intellegence or ignorance. The New Ager is on one big ego trip. At the end of that trip, New Agers will discover that Ramtha's and Mafu's and Lazaris' real name is Lucifer. The smile on his face is not going to be a welcome smile. It will be a smug smile that says that "the father of lies" has claimed another victim.

The reason a new ager thinks he can do that is because he thinks he is a part God or a God. That is the "truth" at the heart of New Age thinking. To a Christian that is blasphemous. To a New Ager it is the answer to all the world's problems.

When someone calls another person a "New Ager" it's not because they are considered Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
i'am not quite sure i follow this line of thinking... in Genesis it is written we were in the image of God...i feel this refers to mind and body.
God is confident and i feel God desires for us to be also.

i may not be the star but if i'am a part of the star i should have some star-like qualities.
Gen 3:5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.

Man's eyes were indeed "opened", as the world became one of judgment (everything right and wrong, black and white, etc) as Adam's faith went out the window.

That's where we are now - the responsibility is seemingly on man for his survival, as we continue to eat from the wrong tree. Those of faith eat from the Tree of Life, where everything is part of His kingdom.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: red fonf is reserved for moderation

Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM

3,115 posts, read 2,281,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Gen 3:5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.

Man's eyes were indeed "opened", as the world became one of judgment (everything right and wrong, black and white, etc) as Adam's faith went out the window.

That's where we are now - the responsibility is seemingly on man for his survival, as we continue to eat from the wrong tree. Those of faith eat from the Tree of Life, where everything is part of His kingdom.
?
so is it o.k. or not to have any self-esteem?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
?
so is it o.k. or not to have any self-esteem?
Here's a good sermon from John Piper on the subject:

Let Him Who Boasts Boast in the Lord! - Desiring God

Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Here's a good sermon from John Piper on the subject:

Let Him Who Boasts Boast in the Lord! - Desiring God
thank you but i guess maybe i'am not a fundamental christian because i don't believe in some oppressive war-lord who does not want me to the best i can be for my-self and for the advancement of the kingdom of God.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,588,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
When I was growing up, my mom would always warn me about staying away from "new age" beliefs.

She included things like this as new age:
- using crystals, pyramid power, etc
- talking to spirits
- beliefs that claim we are all god
- astrology
etc.
Yeah, I remember there was a lot of talk about the danger of the "New Age Movement" starting back in the early 80's. There were numerous 'Christian' books written on the topic and they did seem to emphasize the "dangers" of things like chanting, yoga, crystals, meditation, auras, orbs, unicorns, and even rainbows! I do personally consider some "new age" practices a little whacky, but I'm not afraid of it as those books tried to get me to be. I also recall when they sectioned music CD's into the category of "New Age". I'm not sure if that is still done or if it has gone into the "Alternative" section.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM

is it New Age to care about our enviroment/ eco-systems? because they are deteriorating rapidly.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,204,224 times
Perhaps some view it as a derogatory term - probably those that use it as such. I see it simply as someone who simply has some alternative beliefs. Perhaps they like crystals and yoga, perhaps they subscribe to the many paths to God philosophy, perhaps they simply like to meditate. I don't see it as anything bad - just maybe a bit different than the mainstream.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,217,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's kind of become a vague catch-all term that doesn't mean much of anything. I think I've heard people try to be more specific though.

The main thing being that it's a group of people who believe that a "New Age" is coming, which will supplant Christianity in favor of something else. A popular idea on what "New Agers" feel that "something else" is would be is pantheism. So in that formula it's basically a movement that is both pantheistic and millenarian. It denotes a belief in a utopian "New Age" where we will "Realize God is Nature" or even that "We are God." Another idea is that it imagines a "New Age" where "All Religions become one." This makes it basically like Theosophist thinking, or maybe even Baha'i, but with a more millenarian aspect. So syncretist and millenarian, rather than pantheist and millenarian.

I'm not sure how many labeled "New Age" fit either of those ideas.

Yea, the idea was/is attached to the dawning of the age of Aquarius which we are actually just now entering into ... And the concept of "new ageism" is closely associated with theosophy and astrology. The idea that all humans have a spark of divinity is not only new age though, it is also Christian, as Jesus when quoting Isaiah and the psalms told the pharisees that "ye are all Gods(Heb - elohim / Greek - theoi, i.e. divine)" ...

Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,935,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. While not strictly "new age", I forgot one of the big things my mother used to warn me about: playing dungeons & dragons! It would lead to devil worship or talking to spirits...

LOL its silly when I think about it now. But it did stop me from playing D&D in high school while all my friends did. Heck some of my friends who are now 40 still play D&D.

Later on I explained to my mom that D&D is just a game, and I think she realizes that now...
yeah,i asnt allowed to watch the cartoon D&D,i used to love it but it didnt stop me gettin up at 6 am on a saturday to watch it either.no one was goin to stand in the way of me cartoons

another thing is Harry Potter,for some reason its evil or sumtin,but yet she'll watch Narnia,what's the difference,magical beasts,witches,heros and stuff.......fantasy is my fav!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity