U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,932,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
New Age isn't "new" .... it's Eastern mysticism repackaged.
sounds more like the christian judgment of others outside of christianity,kinda what miss blue was saying in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Mystical enlightenment means that you discover truth within yourself rather than look for revelation of truth outside yourself.
if you cant find truth and enlightenment on the inside,then you havnt found it,its the ONLY place where you exist,anything on the outside is not you,you are just an observer and an experiencer,and where do you experience,thats right on the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,288,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. While not strictly "new age", I forgot one of the big things my mother used to warn me about: playing dungeons & dragons! It would lead to devil worship or talking to spirits...

LOL its silly when I think about it now. But it did stop me from playing D&D in high school while all my friends did. Heck some of my friends who are now 40 still play D&D.

Later on I explained to my mom that D&D is just a game, and I think she realizes that now...
I am an avid world of warcraft player

To Miss Blue...it is often considered derogatory.
Remember the Rainbow gathering? That was considered the beginning of it, in the form we see today...that is. It does have ancient roots though, spanning all the way back to early Mesopotamian cultures....

Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,932,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
is it New Age to care about our enviroment/ eco-systems? because they are deteriorating rapidly.
if it had of been in the older age,we might not have ourselves in this mess.theres still time though,but whether the leaders of the world will get toghether to solve it is another thing

Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM

13,460 posts, read 21,210,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I am an avid world of warcraft player

To Miss Blue...it is often considered derogatory.
Remember the Rainbow gathering? That was considered the beginning of it, in the form we see today...that is. It does have ancient roots though, spanning all the way back to early Mesopotamian cultures....
I did a search on Rainbow gatherings and a picture of Woodstock came to mind..Sounds interesting since it goes waaay back to Mesopotanium times..I am a huge history buff

BTW three of my grandsons live with us and one is totally addicted to W.O.W. I wish I had his hand to eye coordination.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,201,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. While not strictly "new age", I forgot one of the big things my mother used to warn me about: playing dungeons & dragons! It would lead to devil worship or talking to spirits...

LOL its silly when I think about it now. But it did stop me from playing D&D in high school while all my friends did. Heck some of my friends who are now 40 still play D&D.

Later on I explained to my mom that D&D is just a game, and I think she realizes that now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
yeah,i asnt allowed to watch the cartoon D&D,i used to love it but it didnt stop me gettin up at 6 am on a saturday to watch it either.no one was goin to stand in the way of me cartoons

another thing is Harry Potter,for some reason its evil or sumtin,but yet she'll watch Narnia,what's the difference,magical beasts,witches,heros and stuff.......fantasy is my fav!!!!
LOL, thats awesome ... I was not allowed to play D&D when was in elementary school or watch it on TV either. Neither was i allowed to watch the incredible hulk ...

But eventually after my family quit the whole church thing, they began to lighten up. Now i'm a real geek for anything sci-fi and fantasy, especially literature and film.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 PM

11,823 posts, read 9,816,901 times
Quote:
sounds more like the christian judgment of others outside of christianity,kinda what miss blue was saying in the OP.
Ecclesiastes 1:9
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
There is nothing "new" about the new age....just another of Satan's old lie with different wrapping paper

Quote:
if you cant find truth and enlightenment on the inside,then you havnt found it,its the ONLY place where you exist,anything on the outside is not you,you are just an observer and an experiencer,and where do you experience,thats right on the inside.
The only place to find the truth is God's Word ... inside between the covers of the Bible

Old 01-25-2011, 05:01 PM

7,861 posts, read 6,669,826 times
New Age is the psychic type belief of occult practices,,, like the psychic fair that come to town is the place were new agers would go.... in the bible the belief is frowned on and rejected by the Lord as familiar spirits and occult spirit , and religous spirits.......Other idea are oneness, and natural patheism, gnosticism, theosophy.........A diffrent age than this is the only new age in the Word is the age that will come after the second coming of Jesus when the devil and his fallen angels are removed from the earth for thousand years which will be hard for people to think evil thoughts because the devil will be gone and his ideas will not be bothering people, lying will be unheard of , false teaching will be gone , free thought will be unusual, babal mouth people will not have any ideas to say........Praise the Lord ........

Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,251,762 times
I'm traditionally not as hostile to it as many Christians. I mean as a belief I think it's dumb and maybe narcissistic and all. I just mean I think many who get into it aren't bad people and that it represents that even in very secularized societies there's still a desire for connectedness and spirituality. From a Catholic or Eastern Orthodox perspective mysticism can be good and valuable.

Ideally it's something that some go through in youth and hopefully can be directed into something more valid. Thomas Merton, granted some would say he stayed New Age, was into Hindu Revivalist stuff in his callow youth. So was C. S. Lewis, a bit.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,254,371 times
Christianity is new age. The O.T. is the Law. The O.T. has Laws for everyday living that have nothing to do with Jesus' coming or going. Once you get to ignore the Laws the rest is easy... you just make up stuff as you go along.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,288,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Christianity is new age. The O.T. is the Law. The O.T. has Laws for everyday living that have nothing to do with Jesus' coming or going. Once you get to ignore the Laws the rest is easy... you just make up stuff as you go along.
We don't ignore the law, we follow it by following Christ.
He fulfilled them all...even the once Pharisaical Saul thought so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity