U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,248,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
We don't ignore the law, we follow it by following Christ.
He fulfilled them all...even the once Pharisaical Saul thought so.
that's your opinion.
i don't feel God changed His(it's) mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM

4,634 posts, read 3,728,039 times
It is a Catch-all umbrella term for a repackaging of anciaent and tribal faiths. The term Can include (but not be limited to) A revitalization of earth religons, pagan, Native American religions, And can include intercessorary defices such as srystals and channeling.
Much of it is as fraudulent as in any Christian movement. For eample, we see New Age Healers who act as psychic surgeons and for a sum of money will heal someone of any disease. We see this in Christianity with Peter Popofff and the likes running scam healing shows.

Years ago, I had a Christian Minister tell me that the New Age was Satanic. Of course, this same guy told me that eating Chinese food was Satanic too. This was during a not so friendly discussion in person in which I told of some of the things I had seen first hand in the New Age groups. (There are whackos in both sides, trust me) I think the bottom line was that it was in competition with Christianity, clearly not for Souls or Truth but for the Almighty and Most Holy Dollar, the foundation of Religion in America. If it weren't for Money, neither one would get very far.

I found New Agers in California to be as High and Mighty and elitist as Fundy Christians in Texas. So maybe they are not so different?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,248,039 times
in the O.T. it was against the Law for one to eat the scavengers of the land...what does Jesus' coming or going have to do with making the scavengers of the land Kosher for consumption? new age christianity says it's o.k..

Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,930,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Ecclesiastes 1:9
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
There is nothing "new" about the new age....just another of Satan's old lie with different wrapping paper
Satan came from Paganism,Persian to be precise.

Quote:
The only place to find the truth is God's Word ... inside between the covers of the Bible
the pages that were butchered over the years,and funny enoug it was a Roman emporer that decided what books actually went in,as for King James(who ever trusted an English king,especially in those days)God only knos what changes he made to the book,how many times was Jehova(Yahweh)'s name in their before they decided to change that to either Lord or God.on a personnal basis,if i were only to look for truth in just the bible,id be one confused puppy and wouyld have never learned all that beauty from the Veda's.

people have wrote loads of stuff over the years about God,but they are only words,yes we can grasp knowledge from them but to experience God consioussness is to go deep deep down,their is a particle of Him inside the soul's of every living entity.

what does it say in the bible about attaining perfection?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
Satan came from Paganism,Persian to be precise.

people have wrote loads of stuff over the years about God,but they are only words,yes we can grasp knowledge from them but to experience God consioussness is to go deep deep down,their is a particle of Him inside the soul's of every living entity.

what does it say in the bible about attaining perfection?
That would have to be true, because words and books are just that.....and the Bible is not the "Word of God" any more or less than anything else.

Most people who follow it do not even know from whence it came. (See my post on the other board about why people who quote from the bible....)

Most New Agers realize this, as well as the futility of trying and put the Bible aside for bigger and better things.

And if we were to follow a book, why that one ? We would not look to a medical book that is 1700 years old to find a cure for modern disease, so why look to something so outdated and out of place in our society for religion? As history perhaps, but as opposed to reading something, I prefer to be in the Hear and now experiencing and doing my own thing.

I am sitll after many years waiting for a solid explanation from anyone as to why the Bible is so great. I have read it many times and I have not found it to be so great, In fact it is really not that well written either.
SO instead of great it is "Kind of good" but I digress

Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,899,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
What exactly is a "New Ager" and where does that term come from?

When someone calls another person a "New Ager" are they being sarcastic? Complimentary? Is it biblical?

I have heard this term used many times in reference to many beliefs/doctrines including Christianity ..

Thanks all
The great turning away from sound doctrine. Needing ears tickled.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,930,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
That would have to be true, because words and books are just that.....and the Bible is not the "Word of God" any more or less than anything else.

Most people who follow it do not even know from whence it came. (See my post on the other board about why people who quote from the bible....)

Most New Agers realize this, as well as the futility of trying and put the Bible aside for bigger and better things.

And if we were to follow a book, why that one ? We would not look to a medical book that is 1700 years old to find a cure for modern disease, so why look to something so outdated and out of place in our society for religion? As history perhaps, but as opposed to reading something, I prefer to be in the Hear and now experiencing and doing my own thing.

I am sitll after many years waiting for a solid explanation from anyone as to why the Bible is so great. I have read it many times and I have not found it to be so great, In fact it is really not that well written either.
SO instead of great it is "Kind of good" but I digress
you seem to have an open mind about things,which is essential in this diverse world,, you should check out Bhagavad Gita,its a different league i tells ya!!!!

is that thread in R&P forum?,yeah it gets frustrating sometimes when your havin a conversation with certain christians and all you want is a straight honestly thought out answer,but all they throw at you is bible verses,not all of them though,some probly even most are honest about what the think.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
you seem to have an open mind about things,which is essential in this diverse world,, you should check out Bhagavad Gita,its a different league i tells ya!!!!

is that thread in R&P forum?

That thread is in Atheist and Agnostic forum under R&P

I read through the Bhagavad Gita years ago, again it did not too much interest me and I did not get into study of where it came or anything like that.
I have always said though taht to understand myth and religion in America in this century, one must understand the Bible. That is because it is so influential in our scoiety (To varying degrees) . Remember though, to understand something, especially a book, one must understand the influences that surrounded the culture which produced it. And saying "God wrote it" Does not suffice.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
New Age isn't "new" .... it's Eastern mysticism repackaged.

Mystical enlightenment means that you discover truth within yourself rather than look for revelation of truth outside yourself. Everything in life is either evolved intellegence or ignorance. The New Ager is on one big ego trip. At the end of that trip, New Agers will discover that Ramtha's and Mafu's and Lazaris' real name is Lucifer. The smile on his face is not going to be a welcome smile. It will be a smug smile that says that "the father of lies" has claimed another victim.

The reason a new ager thinks he can do that is because he thinks he is a part God or a God. That is the "truth" at the heart of New Age thinking. To a Christian that is blasphemous. To a New Ager it is the answer to all the world's problems.

When someone calls another person a "New Ager" it's not because they are considered Christian.

It should be obvious to believers how mistaken New Age philosophy is.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 01-25-2011 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM

17,672 posts, read 8,860,686 times
Old' Age or New' Age, is there a difference?

Not when it comes to the intended design or architectural
purpose; preconceived within the thoughts of men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity