Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times

Advertisements

What exactly is a "New Ager" and where does that term come from?

When someone calls another person a "New Ager" are they being sarcastic? Complimentary? Is it biblical?

I have heard this term used many times in reference to many beliefs/doctrines including Christianity ..

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
What exactly is a "New Ager" and where does that term come from?

When someone calls another person a "New Ager" are they being sarcastic? Complimentary? Is it biblical?

I have heard this term used many times in reference to many beliefs/doctrines including Christianity ..

Thanks all
most of the time it's used in a derogatory type fashion; something along the lines of being a hippie.

new agers: someone or somebodies who is/are supposedly recieving new/modern day revelations.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
most of the time it's used in a derogatory type fashion; something along the lines of being a hippie.

new agers: someone or somebodies who is/are supposedly recieving new/modern day revelations.
Yep, exactly what I was going to say. It's derogatory imo and is implying that one is not a Christian. I don't know what exactly "qualifies" as new age beliefs, but Universalism DOES NOT, and I get tired of hearing it called "new age" or a cult. I would think something like scientology would be considered new age, since it doesn't have anything to do with Christianity and is a relatively new belief.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Right, Ilene, Universalism is old age.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
When I was growing up, my mom would always warn me about staying away from "new age" beliefs.

She included things like this as new age:
- using crystals, pyramid power, etc
- talking to spirits
- beliefs that claim we are all god
- astrology
etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,925 times
yeah my mother was the same,and she even told me that certain films were new agie,she dosent even let her grandchildren watch ben ten,whats that all about,anyway it was around this time when i started thinkin'' ma your nuts''

Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Yeah I know what you mean. While not strictly "new age", I forgot one of the big things my mother used to warn me about: playing dungeons & dragons! It would lead to devil worship or talking to spirits...

LOL its silly when I think about it now. But it did stop me from playing D&D in high school while all my friends did. Heck some of my friends who are now 40 still play D&D.

Later on I explained to my mom that D&D is just a game, and I think she realizes that now...

Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
beliefs that claim we are all god
That's a big part of it - the belief that the power stems from us is rooted in the carnal fall. Whether you believe it was a serpent or Adam's mind, he got the idea that he was like God, and it hasn't stopped since.

Anything that exalts itself against the knowledge of God is of this origin.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
It's kind of become a vague catch-all term that doesn't mean much of anything. I think I've heard people try to be more specific though.

The main thing being that it's a group of people who believe that a "New Age" is coming, which will supplant Christianity in favor of something else. A popular idea on what "New Agers" feel that "something else" is would be is pantheism. So in that formula it's basically a movement that is both pantheistic and millenarian. It denotes a belief in a utopian "New Age" where we will "Realize God is Nature" or even that "We are God." Another idea is that it imagines a "New Age" where "All Religions become one." This makes it basically like Theosophist thinking, or maybe even Baha'i, but with a more millenarian aspect. So syncretist and millenarian, rather than pantheist and millenarian.

I'm not sure how many labeled "New Age" fit either of those ideas.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That's a big part of it - the belief that the power stems from us is rooted in the carnal fall. Whether you believe it was a serpent or Adam's mind, he got the idea that he was like God, and it hasn't stopped since.

Anything that exalts itself against the knowledge of God is of this origin.
i'am not quite sure i follow this line of thinking... in Genesis it is written we were in the image of God...i feel this refers to mind and body.
God is confident and i feel God desires for us to be also.

i may not be the star but if i'am a part of the star i should have some star-like qualities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity