Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
Satan came from Paganism
Adversity lives within this life; it's just part of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Well, thanks everyone for all that information.

I am certainly convinced that even though I have been called a "New Ager" that I am not..

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

I am certainly convinced that even though I have been called a "New Ager" that I am not..
LOL, no you are definitely not a new ager Miss Blue. But with what you have to deal with I can see why some of your kin folk/friends would think that. Any ideas or beliefs other than what they have always been taught is considered "new age". You're just enlightened.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I found New Agers in California to be as High and Mighty and elitist as Fundy Christians in Texas. So maybe they are not so different?
Yeah, I know what you mean. The language of heaven is beyond labels, words, and semantics. The Spirit of truth searches all things and transcends flesh and blood and our human systems of religion.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

Yeah I wouldn't think so.

Although as indicated I think there are people who use it pretty broadly. Like if you're interested in non-Christian religions, without totally condemning them, and enjoy nature I imagine someone somewhere would deem that "New Agey."

Then there's "New Age music" which doesn't really involve what the singers are at all. Maire/Moya Brennan, her name is transliterated different on different albums, and Enya are listed as "New Age" but Moya is Pentecostal and her sister Enya remained a Catholic. (Moya/Maire is kind of a neat ex-Catholic Pentecostal in that she seems generally okay with Catholics, some ex-Catholics who "go Pentecostal" get very preachy to us) It seems like there are others who are Russian Orthodox or Episcopalian, but whose music is classed as "New Age" because they allow for non-Western instrumentation or ambient type music. Still I think I've known Christians who get a bit nervous that Enya or whatever is "New Agey" and that she sings about trees and elves and stuff.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:01 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I found New Agers in California to be as High and Mighty and elitist as Fundy Christians in Texas. So maybe they are not so different?
Yep. And both can be very superstitious as well.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Reminded me of the Poeple in that Southpark episode involving the Hybrid Cars and SMUGNESS!!!( I cannot post a link here for fear of offending someone but you can search it if you are not easily offended)
I found just as many hateful people in the New Age groups in California as I did in the Baptist and Churches of Christ in Texas . As for money, well, the ones in California were out to make it too, and they learned well from Oral Roberts, Robert Tilton and the late Bill Weber about bilking people out of money
I had a New Ager in California refuse to let me into a "Meeting" he was holding because I was from Texas, and as such, I could not possibly be on a path to enlightenment. Go figure. Ignorance and fools are everywhere, they just need religious leaders to bilk them.
P T Barnum would be Proud.......

Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM

60 posts, read 92,038 times
Like others have said many "New Age" philosophies are derived from several eastern religions that are much older than the Abrahamic religions. Native American Indians also had varied religious beliefs that were similar to many eastern religious philosophies as well.

New Age beliefs can be varied but the belief that your actions determine your fate and karma. Beliefs that the kingdom of God is within is another common New Age concept. Basically being responsible for your own actions, karma, reincarnation and reaching enlightment are considered 'New Age'.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Satan came from Paganism?.....not.
The modern definition of paganism is any religion that is not one of the three Abrahamic religions.
Anything that anyone believed prior to these religions could be considered Pagan.
Beings that pagan is not Abrahamic, then there is no Satan in the belief.
Regardless of the history of religion and belief in humanity, I can see how Christians would say that ANYTHING that is not of/from the bible/god is Satanic based.
Which is unfortunate since many good people are not religious.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
When I was growing up, my mom would always warn me about staying away from "new age" beliefs.

She included things like this as new age:
- using crystals, pyramid power, etc
- talking to spirits
- beliefs that claim we are all god
- astrology
etc.
But all that has been around for ever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity