U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,098,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Truth is by definition singular.

Hmmmm, interesting, your truth is defined by what you were taught and you were taught by somebody else as to what that truth may be and it is the same with everybody. We were all taught what is true by somebody else. So your truth is just that, your truth and only your truth. Everybody else has their own truth and may not necessarily be the same as yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 PM

15,320 posts, read 8,302,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
yeah says you.....
No, says Merriam-Webster.

Quote:
But you can believe what ever you want.... It is ok...

And so can I....
You're right about that, but both can't be the truth. Maybe one or none, but not both.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM

15,320 posts, read 8,302,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Hmmmm, interesting, your truth is defined by what you were taught and you were taught by somebody else as to what that truth may be and it is the same with everybody. We were all taught what is true by somebody else. So your truth is just that, your truth and only your truth. Everybody else has their own truth and may not necessarily be the same as yours.
You mistake truth for opinion or maybe beliefs.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM

18,066 posts, read 8,981,423 times
Truth is Truth

You can twist and bend it.
You can abuse and misuse it.
But even the Spirit cannot change it.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,098,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You mistake truth for opinion or maybe beliefs.

No, I don't think so, but that's for another thread and would take this thread off-topic..

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,853,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
John 14:6 "Jesus told him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me".

Not all roads lead to God .... only the narrow one.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,591,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I have no guns in the ready...only love and compassion...and perhaps a little humor to lighten up the day, I pray.
I am carrying my water gun when I come in here!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,591,022 times
Quote:
No it isn't.... Your truth is not my truth but it is yours.... It is the truth to you...
I love that saying from Shakespeare's Hamlet: "To thine own self be true." It was/is/has been by being true to/with myself that I was/have been/am led out of a lot of mental bondage through the years.

-----snippet-----

Polonius:
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!

Laertes:
Most humbly do I take my leave, my lord.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 7882
"To thine own self be true" is Polonius's last piece of advice to his son Laertes, who is in a hurry to get on the next boat to Paris, where he'll be safe from his father's long-winded speeches [see NEITHER A BORROWER NOR A LENDER BE].

To thine own self be true - Shakespeare Quotes

Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,972,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I respectfully agree to disagree with you. I've reread the OP several times - and whether it was your intent or not - it doesn't sound very understanding. You can call me whatever names you want to - that's fine. I'm not saying you are a bad person - I'm simply saying that your OP doesn't come off the way that you think it does. It implies that you think that the people here aren't good Christians because they have failed to convert an atheist, unless the atheist is stubbornly remaining an atheist just to ruffle feathers. To me - this says (as most of your posts do as well) that you do not approve of the Christians that are posting here. This also says that you do not approve of people being and remaining atheists. Like I said, I've read the OP many, many times - and this is what it seems to say to me. I didn't know you at all before I read the post - so I wasn't biased against you in any way. But like I said, I agree to disagree. We all see things differently.

Honestly, if you are unhappy here - then I would think that you have two options. 1- You could start some threads that you seem to be missing - start some bible study threads or some friendly threads. Visit the non-debate friendship thread - it's great! I spend a lot of time there. Or 2 - you could just move on and decide that this isn't the forum for you anymore. There's nothing in wrong in not posting on a forum that you no longer enjoy.

You know - there have been some restaurants that I've been to many, many years ago where I remember having the most amazing meals. Yet, sometimes, when I go back to one of these places, the food fails to live up to my memory of it. Perhaps my tastes have changed, perhaps the chefs have changed, perhaps I revisited the restaurant on a bad night. These things happen.
I have chosen option 2..the chef has changed, my taste has changed and the restaurant is under new management Goodbye love you all anyway

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,311,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I have chosen option 2..the chef has changed, my taste has changed and the restaurant is under new management Goodbye love you all anyway
Well I do hope you check back when our friend Just June sends her response I suspect it will be an interesting post.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or