U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 20,153,066 times
Reputation: 22092

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
You asked a why question that is bound to get a response and you ought to know that.......
It's okay. I don't think that he/she either read my posts or possibly he/she just didn't understand my point. Either way - doesn't really matter. But thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 2,964,679 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Exactly. What happened to the Bible studies? Everything here revolves around the same discussion of UR vs ET and it is repeated over and over and over in a never ending cycle.

Believe it or not, but thanks to the mods there has been a recent improvement in this area. It was worse just one month ago.
If it was worse than it is now, I would have read some of the post and left with the desire to never come back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
 
3,581 posts, read 457,910 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Sorry but if you remember me from about a year ago, I never backed down from confrontation of legitimate reason or cause. BUT THIS MESS is beyond ridiculous. Usually if you stay in the murky waters you acclimate to it but if you remove yourself for awhile then return back, you can see CLEARLY how bad this forum has become. I have been gone for some time and believe me, it has gotten bad here. Just ask yourself why did the others leave?
Your topic for this thread is why have the "christians" not "converted" June........

Some scripture says that it is up to God to call and convert, and the way that the world will know Jesus disciples is the love that his disciples show.

There is just so many different interpretations of scripture and there are those that will fight, to the death, for their interpretation of scripture that it is hard to see the love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 2,964,679 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes, there were bible studies at one point but I think your memory may be failing you because even those became contentious. It's always been contentious here, and I've been here since 2006, even before there was a Christian sub-forum. And the reason the atheists and christians got their own forums is because of all the infighting!! The problems here change over time, but let it be said that there have always been problems, and there always will be unless only clones post here.

I personally don't think it's any worse than it was when the atheists/christians were fighting or when the christian preterists/christian fundamentalists were fighting, or when the Cupps took over the forum. It comes in waves, and there has hardly ever been a time when it wasn't volatile. So either you buck up and are in it for the long haul, or run away when someone disagrees with you more than once. Which one are you gonna be? This ain't for the faint of heart.
I participated in the last one; the book of Romans and two others prior to that and they all were VERY understanding and we were able to agree and disagree in an aminable manner and JUNE and GSWTroop, both confessed atheists participated in them but there is no one here anymore to confirm that. You may want to do a 'look back' to confirm my statement there was no conflict, arguing of ANY FORM at that time...NONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Mayacama Mtns in CA
14,523 posts, read 7,373,624 times
Reputation: 11302
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I haven't been here for some time and recently began to post a wee bit. I have participated in threads with June, the atheist and others, the dieheart Chiristians. But I have to ask why have we NOT been effective at changing her point of God, or should I say converted her as some of you all would say?
She meanders through, pops in and out of various Christian threads...my gosh she's even a Moderater for the R&P/Christianity for Pete's sake!!!! But why have we NOT been able to change her point of view; it has been 3 years working on 4 years people.....What's up with that???

Are we a poor example of Chrisitanity and she is glad to not be a part of(besides monitoring us) or she choose to remain an atheist just to ruffle some peoples' feather here. Just asking
I rarely post in this section because....well, just because, but the title of this thread caught me.

I have a great deal of trouble with the OP's comment because to me it seems so dismissive and demeaning of June's absolute freedom and will to either choose Jesus Christ or not. It's HER business, not ours and some persons rush in where angels fear to tread when they get 'in her face' about that choice.

It's really very simple.

And yes, I'm a wee bit defensive for her sake, because she's one of my favs, even though we haven't talked a lot. She is a very classy woman who is unremittingly polite and gracious way beyond the call of duty. We all could learn much from her, if we would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 2,964,679 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Your topic for this thread is why have the "christians" not "converted" June........

Some scripture says that it is up to God to call and convert, and the way that the world will know Jesus disciples is the love that his disciples show.

There is just so many different interpretations of scripture and there are those that will fight, to the death, for their interpretation of scripture that it is hard to see the love.
Good to here from you, meerkat!!!! Here is one from out of the murky water of these forum arise to this special occasion! I would say it is based on maturity level. you can read it one time come back to it again later and see it totally different as you grow spiritually mature and get a better, fuller understand. That is because the Word is LIVING, ever growing and changing US into the image of God. But THIS forum has degraded terribly...I don't see much of any fruit of the Spirit here. Doesn't Paul talk about this indepth about the fighting among us that we are not ready for the spiritual meat God has for us. This same behavior as other watch and read this forum snatches those who would have come to at least hear , turn away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,933,404 times
Reputation: 179
if ya wanted a thread to go without conflict,you should have left june's decision to be an atheist out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 2,964,679 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
if ya wanted a thread to go without conflict,you should have left june's decision to be an atheist out of it.
AGAIN READ ALL POST Please before responding, thxs. My problem is NOT June but those on this forum on attack- each- other mode
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,610 posts, read 3,966,989 times
Reputation: 1389
During the Battle of Antietam when thousands were being killed, Stonewall Jackson said, "If you cannot see the hand of God working here, then you are blind, I tell you, blind!"

A year before that, Julia Ward Howe watched soldiers drilling before going into battle and wrote "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Eyewrist, when people like you look at the world around you, it is obvious there is a Supreme Being at work.

Others of us simply do not see it that way, and that is why we are atheists.

No words you say can change our mind.

However, many atheists all of a sudden look at the world differently, see a Supreme Being at work, and become believers. Who knows, it may happen to me and it may happen to June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
 
3,581 posts, read 457,910 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Good to here from you, meerkat!!!! Here is one from out of the murky water of these forum arise to this special occasion! I would say it is based on maturity level. you can read it one time come back to it again later and see it totally different as you grow spiritually mature and get a better, fuller understand. That is because the Word is LIVING, ever growing and changing US into the image of God. But THIS forum has degraded terribly...I don't see much of any fruit of the Spirit here. Doesn't Paul talk about this indepth about the fighting among us that we are not ready for the spiritual meat God has for us. This same behavior as other watch and read this forum snatches those who would have come to at least hear , turn away from it.
Thank you eyewrist ,

I do believe that what we have on this forum is a cross section of society ----- there are some who do display love and patience, both christian and non-christian, and there are also some others who can seem to come across judgmental and intolerant of others views, and some who fall in between, we are all human and subject to error....... Sometimes people do not mean something to be critical and it is taken that way, and there seems to be a few vocal ones who enjoy stirring the pot and provoking others for a response

I think that there is different things that appeal to different people on this forum, and if you want a thread on bible study, you should do one on that.........

I joined this forum in 2008 (I have come and gone a couple of times) and even then there was heated debates between the preterist and futurist, sabbatarians vs resting in christ, catholics vs protestants, etc --- there were also threads on other things, just like now there is a variety of threads..... to a large degree it is up to the posters to make to forum what they want it to be......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top