U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM

4,666 posts, read 2,298,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Interesting to me is that the disciples meeting together to break bread on the first day of the week was most likely what we would call Saturday night after the Jewish Sabbath. Consider whether the note given about Paul preaching "until midnight" was veryt likely for a Sunday morning Meeting.
Where at Acts 20 v 7 is it saying that was a regular meeting? Isn't 'breaking bread' meaning having a bite to eat together?

That would not have to be a meeting of obligation, but a talk following a fellowship meal, but not gathered as 'the' set day of a main religious service.

Even today people can have more of their pay to spend at the beginning of the week rather then right before pay day.

Any thoughts on 1st Corinthians 16 v 2 ?_______
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 PM

4,061 posts, read 3,744,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Where at Acts 20 v 7 is it saying that was a regular meeting? Isn't 'breaking bread' meaning having a bite to eat together?

That would not have to be a meeting of obligation, but a talk following a fellowship meal, but not gathered as 'the' set day of a main religious service.

Even today people can have more of their pay to spend at the beginning of the week rather then right before pay day.

Any thoughts on 1st Corinthians 16 v 2 ?_______
1Cor 16:1 (NKJV) Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: 2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

I dont think many have looked into why they were taking up a collection

In Acts 11:28-30 and Romans 15:26 that the people in Jerusalem were having a great famine, so that is what the money would be for, to help the needy in Jerusalem, not coming together on Sunday morning to give your offering to the church.

Plus in the Torah, it says they were not to conduct business on the Sabbath, so it makes sense that Paul would collect their offerings on the 1rst day of the week.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 AM

15,605 posts, read 7,077,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
so it makes sense that Paul would collect their offerings on the 1rst day of the week.
Likely at their regular fellowship after they went to the Jewish synagogue before they realized that they were talking about a new and different faith tradition which the Jews did not accept as a whole, and before the Jews started enjoining civil authorities to persecute the new line of thought. Interesting that Paul would go to the synagogues to teach after he had conducted a campaign against the new teaching.
No, it would not be a meeting of obligation, there being no such thing in the Christian faith, but a good time to get together.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 AM

26,469 posts, read 14,056,648 times
Seventh-day rest
In the 1st centuries, the first day, being made a festival in honor of Christ's resurrection, received attention as a day of religious services and recreation, but seventh-day Sabbath rest was still observed by "almost all churches". According to classical sources, widespread seventh-day Sabbath rest by Gentile Christians was also the prevailing mode in the 3rd and 4th centuries. - Sabbath in Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wonder if this is where the idea of the "Weekend" (no work on Saturday or Sunday) came from...

Sunday rest
The origin of Sunday worship in the 1st or 2nd century remains a debated point. Often first-day worship (Sunday morning or Saturday night) was practiced alongside observance of seventh-day Sabbath rest and was a widespread Christian tradition by the 2nd century; over time, Sunday thus came to be known as Lord's Day and, later, a rest day.
On March 7, 321, the Roman Emperor Constantine issued a decree making Sunday a day of rest from labor, stating:
All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun. Country people, however, may freely attend to the cultivation of the fields, because it frequently happens that no other days are better adapted for planting the grain in the furrows or the vines in trenches. So that the advantage given by heavenly providence may not for the occasion of a short time perish. - Roman Emperor Constantine

Last edited by Richard1965; 03-25-2013 at 04:33 AM..

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 625,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Starting from counting the date of Nisan 14 would begin when it turns Nisan 14 in Jerusalem.
This year Nisan 14 would begin here at Sundown Tuesday March 26 th.

Jesus was not dead a full 24 hours on Friday Nisan 14, but a full 24 hours on Saturday 'the great Sabbath' of Nisan 15, and resurrected early on Sunday the 16th. So, we are dealing with parts of three days, but nevertheless three days are involved.

Jesus never instituted a memorial of his resurrection, but only of his death by the annual passing of the bread and wine.
-Luke 22 v 19
Just as an anniversary date does not come each year on a Friday, so, so-called 'Good Friday' would not always fall on a Friday as this year Nisan 14 falls here on a Tuesday evening.
Nisan 14th starts this year Sunday sunset till Monday sunset. The Jews have their seder Monday after sunset, the 15th of Nisan. Jesus died according to the biblical Passover, the 14th of Nisan this Monday. Next Friday is the tradition of Rome, the whole churches follow. But Polycrates, Bischop of Ephesus rejected the traditions of Rome, because they were pagan, he wrote: as for us (the Quartodeciman) we scupulously observe the exact day, neither adding not taking away... These (believers) all kept the 14th of Nisan as the beginning of the Paschal feast in accordance with the Gospel. The 17th of Nisan was celebrated as resurrection day. Believers and the whole church of Asia Minor was persecuted because of their believe. Polycarp was martyred on the 14th of Nisan. Later any one that kept the 17th of Nisan was excommunicated and this day has been killed by the Roman church, no one even thinks about it, but their must be a porpose, why they did it?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM

15,605 posts, read 7,077,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
Later any one that kept the 17th of Nisan was excommunicated and this day has been killed by the Roman church, no one even thinks about it, but their must be a porpose, why they did it?
Interesting question. I am ignorant of any reason other than their march to orthodoxy, which may have been enough. I'd be interested in any other information.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 625,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Interesting question. I am ignorant of any reason other than their march to orthodoxy, which may have been enough. I'd be interested in any other information.
I think it has to do with the feast of Passover, which began with the 14th of Nisan and than they celebrated the 17th of Nisan as Resurrection day. The Roman church wanted the priority over the church of Jerusalem (which was not present after 70 AD) and their followers. The excommunication was done to the Judaizers, who also kept the Shabbath. It is the begin of Antisemitism. Luther was not free from that spirit. When I read what he wrote because of the Jews I got angry in the spirit and you may believe it or not, I saw the spirit of Luther going through the livingroom as a shadow, without live, full of darkness. Once I visited a Luther church, there was a group that prayed for Israel. But the pastor never even recognized them. So we prayed and the sister saw that Jesus came and took Luther out of the church and the church changed from darkness to light. The next service the Pastor spoke the whole service about Israel.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 AM

343 posts, read 196,754 times
deleted

Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM

343 posts, read 196,754 times
svenM,

re: "there is one problem left for me. If Jesus died on 14th Nisan and was was resurected on 17th Nisan, wouldn't that be the 4 day?"

Or it could be considered the 3rd day after. (Matthew 27:63 and Mark 3:31)

Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 AM

367 posts, read 282,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
svenM,

re: "there is one problem left for me. If Jesus died on 14th Nisan and was was resurected on 17th Nisan, wouldn't that be the 4 day?"

Or it could be considered the 3rd day after. (Matthew 27:63 and Mark 3:31)
If you count the day's like everyone does now it would be 3 day's. Why would you count the part of the day that had already passed? Today is the 28th of March. Three day's from now will be the 31st of March. No different. You are counting the time that passes from one point to another and not all the day's that any portion passes.

I have heard people claim that in biblical times they did not correctly count day's despite every account in scripture being correct. And remember 3 day's and 3 night's is pretty clear. Start, say at 6pm on the 14th, add 72 hours and see where you end up. I end up at 6pm on the 17th. Not that I am saying it was 6pm that Christ died or was laid in the tomb. Just showing how to count it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity