U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,632,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
A poster on another forum, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesnít really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, first day proponents usually use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: "Quote a published author who has done that." - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?
The Epistle of Barnabas (which was in the earliest manuscripts) shows that Jesus rose on the 8th day (which just happens to be the first day of the week). This corresponds to the reason the male children were circumcised on the 8th day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM

335 posts, read 194,446 times
trettep,

re: "The Epistle of Barnabas (which was in the earliest manuscripts) shows that Jesus rose on the 8th day (which just happens to be the first day of the week)."

Nowhere in scripture is the first day of the week ever referred to as the eighth day.

re: "This corresponds to the reason the male children were circumcised on the 8th day of the week."

Nowhere does scripture say that a week consists of 8 days. Circumcision was to be performed when the child was 8 days old. That could be any day of the week. (Genesis 17:12)

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM

hljc,

re: "See in Galatians 3:13 Jesus was left on the cross over night..."

???????????????

Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,632,775 times
Quote:
trettep,

re: "The Epistle of Barnabas (which was in the earliest manuscripts) shows that Jesus rose on the 8th day (which just happens to be the first day of the week)."

Nowhere in scripture is the first day of the week ever referred to as the eighth day.

re: "This corresponds to the reason the male children were circumcised on the 8th day of the week."

Nowhere does scripture say that a week consists of 8 days. Circumcision was to be performed when the child was 8 days old. That could be any day of the week. (Genesis 17:12)
The Espistle of Barnabas is scripture so there you have it that the 8th day was mentioned. And yes, the 8th day could be anyday of a natural week if thinking about it from an earthly perspective. You posted so I responded.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,150,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The Espistle of Barnabas is scripture so there you have it that the 8th day was mentioned. And yes, the 8th day could be anyday of a natural week if thinking about it from an earthly perspective. You posted so I responded.
It's not scripture in My bible.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM

lucknow,

re: "It's not scripture in My bible."

Nor in anyone else's either.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Anyone?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,046,369 times
Quote:
Anyone?
Good question.......

Matthew 27:50-54
50. And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.
52. The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
53. and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many.

54. Now the centurion, and those who were with him keeping guard over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things that were happening, became very frightened and said, “Truly this was the Son of God!”

As we read in Luke they were coming with spices to prepare His body..... which was the first day of the week and His body was not there....

Luke 24:1-3
1. But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.
2. And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb,
3. but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.

Blessings....

Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 AM

Cyber Munchkin,

I’m afraid I don’t see the relevance of your comments with regard to the OP. I wonder if you might elaborate a bit?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,046,369 times
Quote:
Cyber Munchkin,

Iím afraid I donít see the relevance of your comments with regard to the OP. I wonder if you might elaborate a bit?

Well, just thought I would give you the scripture in Matt., I believe showing the time period of His resurrection ... which by the scripture in Matthew was not the first day of the week.....

And the scripture in Luke, Mark, states His body was not there in the tomb when Mary came after the sabbath, the first day of the week.....

Maybe I misunderstood your OP and "I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity